Quran, a gift of guidance to humanity

Is the straight path specifically a reference to Mosaic law ?
No, but there are many similarities.

The #1 being the strict monotheistic belief in 'One God'.

That's really not true regarding monotheistic belief.

The slogan one recites to join the cult specifically includes "and" in connection with a god and muhammud (swish), announcing himself as messenger.

This is partnering with the gods and thus is not monotheism.

even if it is monotheism, the partnering with Mohammed with this particular deity makes one question whether there is a god in existence who would have a psychotic pedophile as his greatest prophet, and wonder what species of creature would think such a delusional megalomaniac is worthy of emulation.

Surah 2:62 "Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews or Christians or Sabeans [before Prophet Muhammad] - those [among them] who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness - will have their reward with their Lord, and no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.

Could you please me the Arabic words rendered as....'before prophet muhammad'...?

You are torturing your own scripture by artificially inserting the Islamic mindset.

I think all religions and beliefs have vakue if practiced with charity, Sunni.

I told my priest a long time ago that I had no faith and he said "OK" and did some absolution and understood.

I like Islam. it is very close to Catholicism; and I have read The Holy Quran.

Maybe I am goofy but I figure if I do the right thing I won't even have to think about God and really, the right thing isn't all that hard to figure out.

But I like The Holy Quran because it puts me at ease and teaches me that people with good hearts come from all different places. You have a good heart.

Siochain, Sunni, o m'anam.

I think all religions and beliefs have vakue if practiced with charity, Sunni.

I told my priest a long time ago that I had no faith and he said "OK" and did some absolution and understood.

I like Islam. it is very close to Catholicism; and I have read The Holy Quran.

Maybe I am goofy but I figure if I do the right thing I won't even have to think about God and really, the right thing isn't all that hard to figure out.

But I like The Holy Quran because it puts me at ease and teaches me that people with good hearts come from all different places. You have a good heart.

Siochain, Sunni, o m'anam.

Pure garbage.

According to the Koran, is there any specific reason given for refraining from the flesh of swine?
The Quran doesn't get into the specifics as to why Allah has forbidden the consumption of pork.

Surah 2:173 "He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah".

You are correct, of course. However, many non-Muslims believe that all Muslims are offended at the mere sight of pork, but this is pure fable. The Qur'an even permits the eating of pork for those who are truly hungry. Here are the relevant ayat from the Qur'an (M. H. Shakir Translation, all highlights my own):

[2.173] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[5.3] Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[6.145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

[16.115] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself and blood and flesh of swine and that over which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

This thread is not a debate thread.......so haters please refrain from posting.

It is only intended to present what the Quran says and in context.

The 1st chapter (surah) of the Quran is called 'Al Fatiha' (The Opening) and consists of 7 verses (ayah).

And is referred to as the Umm Al-Kitab the 'Mother of the Book' (Quran).

When you see muslims in a prayer line they are repeating 'Al Fatiha'.

During the mandatory 5 prayers per day. These seven verses are recited a total of 17 times.

Surah 1:1-7

1. In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
2. All praise is due to God, the Lord of the Worlds.
3. The Merciful, The Compassionate.
4. Master of the Day of Judgement.
5. You alone do we worship and You alone we seek for help.
6. Guide us to the Straight Path.
7. The path of those upon whom You have bestowed Your blessings, those whose (portion) is not wrath, nor of those who have gone astray.

"Quran, a gift of guidance to humanity "

Some would say, misguided guidance, Muhammad recognizes Jesus as a prophet. Does Muhammad at the same time think Jesus is a liar? Can a prophet lie?

There are 114 chapters (surah's) in the Quran.

The Quran is composed of 6,236 verses (ayat)

(About the same as the New Testament)

Except for the first chapter; The Quran is arranged by chapter length; not by chronology.

Starting with the longest chapter; and ending with the shortest chapters.

Ah, thanks for this, was thinking of sura 2 and the over 100 verses.

According to the Koran, is there any specific reason given for refraining from the flesh of swine?
The Quran doesn't get into the specifics as to why Allah has forbidden the consumption of pork.

Surah 2:173 "He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah".

You are correct, of course. However, many non-Muslims believe that all Muslims are offended at the mere sight of pork, but this is pure fable. The Qur'an even permits the eating of pork for those who are truly hungry. Here are the relevant ayat from the Qur'an (M. H. Shakir Translation, all highlights my own):

[2.173] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[5.3] Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[6.145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

[16.115] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself and blood and flesh of swine and that over which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

I've often discussed the pork prohibition with my rabbi. No answer from him about it. My own hypthesis is that just as many commandments evolved during the Rtoman occupation like not shaving the beard which Romans did, I wonder if Romans wer really into pork, so the sages forbade it as they did numerous other things the Romans were into.

From a less likely hypothesis, given the uses of pigs today (other than food) using them for medical products is better than as for food. So perhaps G-d made pigs for that but not for food. :)

Some would say, misguided guidance, Muhammad recognizes Jesus as a prophet. Does Muhammad at the same time think Jesus is a liar? Can a prophet lie?

The Koranic Muhammad IS the Biblical Jesus Christ.

Wow. I'm not even Muslim and am offended by that. You're like the "Ancient Aliens" people thinking any even remotely impressive human achievement wasn't done by humans but by aliens.

"Haven't you ever wondered how they built the pyramids? How did they move such massive pieces of stone?"

"They had massive whips Rimmer. Massive massive whips."

- "Red Dwarf" :)

the sages forbade it as they did numerous other things the Romans were into.

I think the Torah came WAY before the Roman Conquest,

I prefer the Bible & Book of Mormon myself. But if it helps you come closer to God, I would be happy with you studying a pamphlet. Just make sure you talk with the Lord and listen.

Wow. I'm not even Muslim and am offended by that. You're like the "Ancient Aliens" people thinking any even remotely impressive human achievement wasn't done by humans but by aliens.

"Haven't you ever wondered how they built the pyramids? How did they move such massive pieces of stone?"

They moved it with thousands of slaves.

I've often discussed the pork prohibition with my rabbi. No answer from him about it. My own hypthesis is that just as many commandments evolved during the Rtoman occupation like not shaving the beard which Romans did, I wonder if Romans wer really into pork, so the sages forbade it as they did numerous other things the Romans were into.

From a less likely hypothesis, given the uses of pigs today (other than food) using them for medical products is better than as for food. So perhaps G-d made pigs for that but not for food. :)

the reason given in Mosaic Law for the prohibition of swine is that their 'flesh' is vile and contaminating and that they do not ruminate.

to ruminate or to not ruminate has direct human implications, flesh is figurative for teaching, hence 'eat my flesh' .

The prohibition in Mosaic law is to refrain from the teaching of people who do not think.

if you swallow the teaching of unclean creatures that do not ruminate your mind will be defiled and contaminated and you will degenerate into an unclean creature that cannot think.

Kosher law has absolutely nothing whatever to do with what you eat for dinner.

Last edited:
Kosher law has absolutely nothing whatever to do with what you eat for dinner.
I thought I had heard it all......but this takes the prize. .... :cuckoo: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for proving the wisdom of God in giving the command to refrain from the flesh of unclean creatures that do not ruminate by so generously demonstrating the consequences for disobedience.

This thread is not a debate thread.......so haters please refrain from posting.

It is only intended to present what the Quran says and in context.

The 1st chapter (surah) of the Quran is called 'Al Fatiha' (The Opening) and consists of 7 verses (ayah).

And is referred to as the Umm Al-Kitab the 'Mother of the Book' (Quran).

When you see muslims in a prayer line they are repeating 'Al Fatiha'.

During the mandatory 5 prayers per day. These seven verses are recited a total of 17 times.

Surah 1:1-7

1. In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
2. All praise is due to God, the Lord of the Worlds.
3. The Merciful, The Compassionate.
4. Master of the Day of Judgement.
5. You alone do we worship and You alone we seek for help.
6. Guide us to the Straight Path.
7. The path of those upon whom You have bestowed Your blessings, those whose (portion) is not wrath, nor of those who have gone astray.

"Quran, a gift of guidance to humanity "

I am reasonably familiar with both the Bible and the Qur'an. Nowhere in the Qur'an does it suggest that Christ was a liar. Instead, the Qur'an rejects the New Testament account of Christ, particularly those passages that described Him as being the Son of God. In short, the Qur'an is not saying Christ lied; rather, it says the authors of the New Testament have created a false image of Him. You apparently believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, but Muslims do not share your belief.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Instead, the Qur'an rejects the New Testament account of Christ, particularly those passages that described Him as being the Son of God.

No.

Only ignorant followers of islam reject the NT and The Son of God.

The authors of the Koran had only kudos for the Biblical material that they copied into their opus.

In short, the Qur'an is not saying Christ lied; rather, it says the authors of the New Testament have created a false image of Him.

No.

>75% of the Koran was wholesale paraphrased from the Biblical Book of Revelation to begin with...and...any student of scripture readily knows that The Book of Revelation is ALL about The Son and His deity.

You apparently believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, but Muslims do not share your belief.

The Koran never once claims to be the Word of God.

Zero.

Any mention of 'inspiration' within its pages refers to the Biblical material that was used in its construction.

Period.

Forum List

Back