Rachel Carson: Political Icon

Hey Uncensed, you are displaying that incredible intellect for all to see. Fortunetly for you, committing someone, no matter how irrational, is difficult.

ROFL

Sucks Old Cocks, you and Pogo are faithful to your party - you recite dogma and NEVER question - but I don't really view mindless drones like you two as particularly "intellectual."

Ummm... when you waltz into a message board full of myths that have no backup and never respond to the links you're given ... which of us is "never questioning" and which of us is "reciting dogma"?

Becauase one of us is living in Oppositeland...

Well the link to what you just claimed that I'm STILL waiting on -- that's pretty ungraspable for anybody.

You need to hold your breath.

Why is that, Pothead? Why is there no link to what sounds like a pretty big deal? Why can't you document it? A plot, right? Is it the fluoride in the water keeping you from posting them? I knew it.

Yanno after a while the crickets sound almost ... mocking :eek:

Because you're a fucking moron who actually thinks your little ThinkProgress tricks are meaningful.

There is no doubt that you impress the shit out of rdean and NYC.. :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature just sees your little red herring as pathetic.

So that's it? The data from Asia demonstrating where use of DDT increased rather than decreased, ergo that misuse caused mosquito resistance and subsequent deaths, which Carson warned against, is "stupid as fence posts"? And that's why she's Hitler?

Damn, that is a devastating argument. You musta gone to Master Debater School.
waving-white-flag.gif

The contribution you make to this thread is alarmism, technophobia, failure to consider the costs and benefits of alternatives, and the discounting of human well-being around the world.

:thup:

"Stupid". I gotta remember that trick. Accomplishes so much. And here I am posting "links" and "charts" and "facts". What was I thinkiin'.... :eusa_doh:

You're posting talking points from leftist hate sites - fact is what you avoid.

{Rachel Carson’s lack of concern for human lives endangered by diseases transmitted by insects is revealed on page 187, where she writes: “Only yesterday mankind lived in fear of the scourges of smallpox, cholera and plague that once swept nations before them. Now our major concern is no longer with the disease organisms that once were omnipresent; sanitation, better living conditions, and new drugs have given us a high degree of control over infectious disease. Today we are concerned with a different kind of hazard that lurks in our environment—a hazard we ourselves have introduced into our world as our modern way of life has evolved.”}

The Lies of Rachel Carson

Why would I do that, Pot?

Because you are a hack fighting a war on science.

Wait -- is Jonas Salk "stupid" for developing the polio vaccine, is that it? Did he "kill millions" by writing a book with magical powers that drove farmers in India to overspray their crops with it? Is Jonas Salk Hitler too??? :50:

Most view him as brilliant - but then, DDT was a brilliant discovery that saves lives as well - still here you are with your war on science attacking it.... :eek:

Maybe the issue is that DDT saves lives - which you of the left oppose.. :dunno:

Reeeeally. You mean like climbing on a demagogue bullshit bandwagon armed with nothing, slurring the name of a good conservative activist with psychotic claims of "killed millions" based on nothing but myths pulled out of some corporate puppeteer's ass that you can't find any link to? Yeah I'd hate to have that kind of life. Not sure I could even call it 'human'.

ROFL

Carson the conservative...

Lie much? :lol:

Well the link to what you just claimed that I'm STILL waiting on -- that's pretty ungraspable for anybody.

You need to hold your breath.

Why is that, Pothead? Why is there no link to what sounds like a pretty big deal? Why can't you document it? A plot, right? Is it the fluoride in the water keeping you from posting them? I knew it.

Yanno after a while the crickets sound almost ... mocking :eek:

Because you're a fucking moron who actually thinks your little ThinkProgress tricks are meaningful.

There is no doubt that you impress the shit out of rdean and NYC.. :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Anyone with an IQ above room temperature just sees your little red herring as pathetic.

The contribution you make to this thread is alarmism, technophobia, failure to consider the costs and benefits of alternatives, and the discounting of human well-being around the world.

:thup:

You're posting talking points from leftist hate sites - fact is what you avoid.

{Rachel Carson’s lack of concern for human lives endangered by diseases transmitted by insects is revealed on page 187, where she writes: “Only yesterday mankind lived in fear of the scourges of smallpox, cholera and plague that once swept nations before them. Now our major concern is no longer with the disease organisms that once were omnipresent; sanitation, better living conditions, and new drugs have given us a high degree of control over infectious disease. Today we are concerned with a different kind of hazard that lurks in our environment—a hazard we ourselves have introduced into our world as our modern way of life has evolved.”}

The Lies of Rachel Carson

Because you are a hack fighting a war on science.

Wait -- is Jonas Salk "stupid" for developing the polio vaccine, is that it? Did he "kill millions" by writing a book with magical powers that drove farmers in India to overspray their crops with it? Is Jonas Salk Hitler too??? :50:

Most view him as brilliant - but then, DDT was a brilliant discovery that saves lives as well - still here you are with your war on science attacking it.... :eek:

Maybe the issue is that DDT saves lives - which you of the left oppose.. :dunno:

Reeeeally. You mean like climbing on a demagogue bullshit bandwagon armed with nothing, slurring the name of a good conservative activist with psychotic claims of "killed millions" based on nothing but myths pulled out of some corporate puppeteer's ass that you can't find any link to? Yeah I'd hate to have that kind of life. Not sure I could even call it 'human'.

ROFL

Carson the conservative...

Lie much? :lol:

You're saying conservation isn't a conservative issue then? :rofl:

From the OP of this thread it's been clearly populated by a couple of clowns who have no clue in the world what conservatism is, yet want to wrap themselves in it for the purpose of unhinged demagoguic tomfoolery.

I tell ya, I wouldn't buy food without reading the ingredients label. Maybe you shouldn't buy the myths you've propagated here without the same preparation.

A myth for which we're STILL waiting on some kind of rehabilitative evidence...
snore.gif

Of course, you could just admit you got played like a three dollar banjo....

Last edited:
So you agree that Rachel Carson was a fraud and that the elimination of DDT resulted in the deaths of millions.

Right?

No. You proved my point by also portraying Harriet Beecher Stowe as a fraud. Slavery wasn't a bad thing. DDT wasn't a bad thing. That sums up your position.

Only a simple minded person would come to that conclusion.

I have your own words to prove I'm right:

Both promoted a fiction leading to the deaths of many.

So you think the dangers of DDT were Carson's 'fiction'.

And Stowe's fiction? The evils of slavery. That is what she promoted. Since you've labeled it fiction, my statement stands,

Your position is - slavery wasn't a bad thing; DDT wasn't a bad thing.

Imagine the sort of person who has a picture of Rachel Carson on the wall along side his bed. The position of honor more conventional young boys devote to Playboy centerfolds.

No. You proved my point by also portraying Harriet Beecher Stowe as a fraud. Slavery wasn't a bad thing. DDT wasn't a bad thing. That sums up your position.

And Stowe's fiction? The evils of slavery. That is what she promoted. Since you've labeled it fiction, my statement stands,

"So you think the dangers of DDT were Carson's 'fiction'."

"On whether DDT is acutely poisonous to humans, the eminent British scientist Kenneth Mellanby writes in his book The DDT Story: "I myself, when lecturing about DDT during the years immediately after World War II, frequently consumed a substantial pinch of DDT, to the consternation of the audience, but with no apparent harm to myself, either then or during the next 40 years.""
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Battle over anti-malaria chemical

You're saying conservation isn't a conservative issue then? :rofl:

I'm saying you're a leftist whackjob with scant control of your faculties.

Carson was an environment alarmist, not a "conservationist." She wasn't Teddy Roosevelt, huffer.

From the OP of this thread it's been clearly populated by a couple of clowns who have no clue in the world what conservatism is, yet want to wrap themselves in it for the purpose of unhinged demagoguic tomfoolery.

I tell ya, I wouldn't buy food without reading the ingredients label. Maybe you shouldn't buy the myths you've propagated here without the same preparation.

Heretics questioning the dogma that your party promotes as absolute truth - and you're outraged, OUTRAGED...

outraged.jpg

A myth for which we're STILL waiting on some kind of rehabilitative evidence...
snore.gif

Of course, you could just admit you got played like a three dollar banjo....

The myth is the one Carson spread - which is well refuted. You would grasp this, except...

silver%2Bhuffer.jpg

What does the scientific evidence show?

Carson was an alarmist and a fraud. You of the left hate science because it exposes these frauds.

Fling shit in random patterns, it will distract from the fact that no actual studies confirm Carsons bullshit.

Isn't her work responsible for the lack of pesticides in killing mosquitoes?

Liberal don't care when a liberal icon is discredited! Heck just this year they honored PROVEN FRAUDSTER Tawana Brawley!

Nnnnope. If that were true, all those links Pothead came in here without would actually exist.

See post 104. Or for real entertainment -- read the thread.

Liberal don't care when a liberal icon is discredited! Heck just this year they honored PROVEN FRAUDSTER Tawana Brawley!

No. This is a classic textbook example of Rightwing Mythology.

"On whether DDT is acutely poisonous to humans, the eminent British scientist Kenneth Mellanby writes in his book The DDT Story: "I myself, when lecturing about DDT during the years immediately after World War II, frequently consumed a substantial pinch of DDT, to the consternation of the audience, but with no apparent harm to myself, either then or during the next 40 years.""

And blacks were better off as slaves...

...got it.

What does the scientific evidence show?

Carson was an alarmist and a fraud. You of the left hate science because it exposes these frauds.

Fling shit in random patterns, it will distract from the fact that no actual studies confirm Carsons bullshit.

Environmental Contaminants Program, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Go ahead. Go look up the sources in the footnotes of that page and read the studies. Once you're finished, come back and keep pretending that no studies have ever confirmed that DDT causes no harm.

Hey Uncensed, you are displaying that incredible intellect for all to see. Fortunetly for you, committing someone, no matter how irrational, is difficult.

ROFL

Sucks Old Cocks, you and Pogo are faithful to your party - you recite dogma and NEVER question - but I don't really view mindless drones like you two as particularly "intellectual."

Faithful to which party? It was Richard Nixon's EPA that banned DDT, and Reagan's, and Bush's, and Bush's who allowed that ban to stand.

Which party, again?

...got it.

Non sequiturs such as evinced by your post, are often early signs of cerebral damage.....

In your case, of course, one can hardly expect damage to an organ long since gone missing.

Faithful to which party? It was Richard Nixon's EPA that banned DDT, and Reagan's, and Bush's, and Bush's who allowed that ban to stand.

Which party, again?

You leftists not only yearn for a dictator, you actually believe that the president is one.. :eusa_whistle:

What you and paint huffing Pogo fear most is fact;

{Many of Carson's claims were overblown. While DDT is highly toxic to insects and fish and can poison other animals in large enough doses, in moderate amounts it's not especially harmful to birds and mammals, including humans. (Ironically, the EPA's own judge agreed, but was overruled by its chief administrator.) No one has conclusively proved that DDT can give you cancer. The cause of eggshell thinning is likewise poorly understood.

On the other hand, DDT is demonstrably effective at controlling the mosquitoes and other insects that transmit malaria and typhus. Thanks principally to DDT, in the years after World War II malaria was eradicated in the U.S. and sharply curtailed in many tropical countries. Venezuela recorded eight million cases of malaria in 1943; by 1958 that number was down to eight hundred. The World Health Organization estimates that DDT saved 50 to 100 million lives during this period, and that's just counting malaria prevention. In recent years, however, the disease has staged a comeback. Globally it quadrupled during the 1990s, and it's even reappeared sporadically in the United States. The resurgence of malaria is due to a variety of factors, including changes in land use and possibly climate, and some experts say the phasing out of DDT is one of them.}

The Straight Dope: Was Rachel Carson a fraud and is DDT actually safe for humans?

Carson was a fraud - her fraud has led to the deaths of 50 million people.

Which party, again?

You leftists not only yearn for a dictator, you actually believe that the president is one.. :eusa_whistle:

{Many of Carson's claims were overblown. While DDT is highly toxic to insects and fish and can poison other animals in large enough doses, in moderate amounts it's not especially harmful to birds and mammals, including humans. (Ironically, the EPA's own judge agreed, but was overruled by its chief administrator.) No one has conclusively proved that DDT can give you cancer. The cause of eggshell thinning is likewise poorly understood.

On the other hand, DDT is demonstrably effective at controlling the mosquitoes and other insects that transmit malaria and typhus. Thanks principally to DDT, in the years after World War II malaria was eradicated in the U.S. and sharply curtailed in many tropical countries. Venezuela recorded eight million cases of malaria in 1943; by 1958 that number was down to eight hundred. The World Health Organization estimates that DDT saved 50 to 100 million lives during this period, and that's just counting malaria prevention. In recent years, however, the disease has staged a comeback. Globally it quadrupled during the 1990s, and it's even reappeared sporadically in the United States. The resurgence of malaria is due to a variety of factors, including changes in land use and possibly climate, and some experts say the phasing out of DDT is one of them.}

The Straight Dope: Was Rachel Carson a fraud and is DDT actually safe for humans?

"....the deaths of 50 million people."

That would be Rachel "Charnel" Carson.

Which party, again?

Since we didn't have a malaria problem in this country, DDT was primarily banned for its massive use in agriculture, which was a major threat to birds and other creatures.

Since we didn't ban DDT in any other country,for obvious reasons, and since international conventions against DDT made exceptions for malaria control, it's not our fault any other country chose not to use DDT.

...got it.

Non sequiturs such as evinced by your post, are often early signs of cerebral damage.....

In your case, of course, one can hardly expect damage to an organ long since gone missing.

It's not my fault you injected yourself into an exchange between myself and another poster without understanding the context of our conversation.

Forum List

Back