Rangel wants women to be drafted

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Ol' Rangel has one right for a change.

Rangel wants women to be drafted - The Hill's Video

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) on Friday said he plans to introduce legislation that would bring back the military draft and extend it to women for the first time.

Rangel, who has pushed for years to bring back the draft, said the Pentagon’s decision to allow women to serve in combat means that they too should register for the Selective Service.

"Now that women can serve in combat they should register for the Selective Service alongside their male counterparts," Rangel said in a statement. "Reinstating the draft and requiring women to register for the Selective Service would compel the American public to have a stake in the wars we fight as a nation. We must question why and how we go to war, and who decides to send our men and women into harm's way."

:::::

In an interview on MSNBC, Rangel said the draft should be reinstated because the majority of Americans make "no real sacrifice" when the country goes to war.

"The Congress never gets a chance to vote up and down on these war questions. Every president just puts our kids in harm’s way and we just foot the bill, but there's no real sacrifice in what's going on. Less than 1 percent of American families are involved in the military and they really pay the price for it," he said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

He argued that a draft would make the executive branch think long and hard before sending troops overseas.

"Take my word for it, if every time a president was about to put our kids in harm's way, we we're thinking about our kids and grandkids, it just wouldn't happen," he said.

Rangel’s legislation would require those between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform two years of national service in either the armed services or in civilian life, while the All American Selective Service Act would force women to enroll in the Selective Service System.

Is this the situation women want to be in really ? My wife said the sad thing is, is that a few have spoken in life for the rest and it's not right. I agree with her.

We should have a draft every time we go to war . Checks n balances ! If a war is just , people can't bitch about a draft .

Is recruiting for the All-Volunteer US Military suffering to an extent sufficient to warrant a draft? I don't think so.

Forum List

Back