Rape Colored Skin

This is a very powerful essay, and by a direct descendant of Edmond Pettis. Her story adds to history rather than erasing it.
Help me understand how removing a monument adds to history. Her perspective surely does and it should be included when history is taught. But I am not understanding how making a confederate general a non entity adds to history.
Again, the monuments are lies – symbols of racism, fear, and hate.

The monuments’ historical significance is that of relics of a hateful, brutal past – their appropriate place is in museums and other private venues that display such manifestations of evil, not public lands.
View attachment 357884
View attachment 357903

Snopes pretty much said it was all true lol haha
Some of it. That's why you can rely on Snopes. They tell the truth. Some of those "facts" are misleading by being taken out of context and some are not true. Just thought the poster would like to know what he's spreading around.ii
They were all true except they argued about how many slaves Ellison bought .. Ellison was a know breeder.. something many white slave owners were against .. take a hike loser
Nope. They most certainly were not. Do I have to cut and paste them for you?
Paste what? White slave breeders? Did I say they didn’t exist ?? What are you going to post? You can’t put words in my mouth you pos turd lol I said many white slave owners were against IT . YOU TURD LOL
The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.

Actually, the case involved an indentured servant named John Casor, who the court found Johnson had the rights to for Casor’s life. It was not chattel slavery.

North Carolina’s largest slave holder in 1860 was a black plantation owner named William Ellison.

False
. William Ellison was a very wealthy black plantation owner and cotton gin manufacturer who lived in South Carolina (not North Carolina). According to the 1860 census (in which his surname was listed as “Ellerson”), he owned 63 black slaves, making him the largest of the 171 black slaveholders in South Carolina, but far from the largest overall slave holder in the state.

In 1830 there were 3,775 free black people who owned 12,740 black slaves.

True. But what Snopes doesn’t mention is that many (not all) of those free black people owned a husband or wife or child(ren). In some slave holding states, freed slaves had to leave the state. So therefore, after they were bought by family to protect them and so that they could live together as a family, they weren’t freed.

Many black slaves were allowed to hold jobs, own businesses, and own real estate.

Somewhat true. There were exceptions, but generally speaking — especially after 1750, by which time slave codes had been entered into the law books in most of the American colonies — black slaves were not legally permitted to own property or businesses.

Most slaves brought to America from Africa were purchased from black slave owners.

Sort of true.

to simply say that Europeans purchased people who had already been enslaved seriously distorts historical reality. While there had been a slave trade within Africa prior to the arrival of Europeans, the massive European demand for slaves and the introduction of firearms radically transformed west and central African society.

FACT CHECK: 9 'Facts' About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know
You’re arguing about William Ellison who breeded fucking slaves you stupid fucking retarded *}^%\%%]%{^|
I didn't actually expect you to absorb the correction. But I'm not the one who is stupid fucking retarded here.
View attachment 357982
Yes. Now go back and see what it says in the MEME. Like most of the rest of the statements on the MEME, they are partially or technically right without being an accurate reflection of the situation.
Did he breed slaves yes or no??

Oh, who knows. I'm just a northern Yankee who has pride in her ancestors and where she's from, and I know how I would feel if someone wanted to tear down my ancestor's statue (not that any have a statue)
You're from Maine right? I am sure we could find some Cajuns in Louisiana that are still hopping mad about their ancestors being ethnically cleansed from Acadia. Once you go down that road everybody has cause to seek redress for how people were treated in the past.
Just trying to put myself in a southerner's shoes, think how I would feel about it.

This is a very powerful essay, and by a direct descendant of Edmond Pettis. Her story adds to history rather than erasing it.
Help me understand how removing a monument adds to history. Her perspective surely does and it should be included when history is taught. But I am not understanding how making a confederate general a non entity adds to history.

The monuments’ historical significance is that of relics of a hateful, brutal past – their appropriate place is in museums and other private venues that display such manifestations of evil, not public lands.
View attachment 357884
View attachment 357903

Some of it. That's why you can rely on Snopes. They tell the truth. Some of those "facts" are misleading by being taken out of context and some are not true. Just thought the poster would like to know what he's spreading around.ii
They were all true except they argued about how many slaves Ellison bought .. Ellison was a know breeder.. something many white slave owners were against .. take a hike loser
Paste what? White slave breeders? Did I say they didn’t exist ?? What are you going to post? You can’t put words in my mouth you pos turd lol I said many white slave owners were against IT . YOU TURD LOL
The first legal slave owner in American history was a black tobacco farmer named Anthony Johnson.

Actually, the case involved an indentured servant named John Casor, who the court found Johnson had the rights to for Casor’s life. It was not chattel slavery.

North Carolina’s largest slave holder in 1860 was a black plantation owner named William Ellison.

False
. William Ellison was a very wealthy black plantation owner and cotton gin manufacturer who lived in South Carolina (not North Carolina). According to the 1860 census (in which his surname was listed as “Ellerson”), he owned 63 black slaves, making him the largest of the 171 black slaveholders in South Carolina, but far from the largest overall slave holder in the state.

True. But what Snopes doesn’t mention is that many (not all) of those free black people owned a husband or wife or child(ren). In some slave holding states, freed slaves had to leave the state. So therefore, after they were bought by family to protect them and so that they could live together as a family, they weren’t freed.

Many black slaves were allowed to hold jobs, own businesses, and own real estate.

Somewhat true. There were exceptions, but generally speaking — especially after 1750, by which time slave codes had been entered into the law books in most of the American colonies — black slaves were not legally permitted to own property or businesses.

Most slaves brought to America from Africa were purchased from black slave owners.

Sort of true.

to simply say that Europeans purchased people who had already been enslaved seriously distorts historical reality. While there had been a slave trade within Africa prior to the arrival of Europeans, the massive European demand for slaves and the introduction of firearms radically transformed west and central African society.

You’re arguing about William Ellison who breeded fucking slaves you stupid fucking retarded *}^%\%%]%{^|
I didn't actually expect you to absorb the correction. But I'm not the one who is stupid fucking retarded here.
View attachment 357982
Yes. Now go back and see what it says in the MEME. Like most of the rest of the statements on the MEME, they are partially or technically right without being an accurate reflection of the situation.
What does the MEME say? I want you to type it word for word.

View attachment 357884
View attachment 357903

False

Sort of true.

View attachment 357982
Lol answer my question

View attachment 357884
View attachment 357903

False

Sort of true.

View attachment 357982
Lol answer my question
No

View attachment 357884
View attachment 357903

False

Sort of true.

View attachment 357982
Lol answer my question
No
You can’t because all your data is from transactions made public, doesn’t account for the Hundredths he breed

You can’t because all your data is from transactions made public, doesn’t account for the Hundredths he breed
You're not getting off the hook by changing the subject. I showed you where your meme was wrong. I gave you the politifact link that explains it. I can't do anymore than that and either you are struggling with the English language or you're heavily under the influence of something. This is the end of this discussion.

You're not getting off the hook by changing the subject. I showed you where your meme was wrong. I gave you the politifact link that explains it. I can't do anymore than that and either you are struggling with the English language or you're heavily under the influence of something. This is the end of this discussion.
Your arguing stupid shit,, facts are facts.. blacks were just as responsible for slavery as whites ..

I just don't know that her opinion trumps all others' opinions.
I don't believe her opinion should trump all other opinions.

By the way, Beyonce is light skinned.......was her great-great grandma rapped also?
I don't know. Since interracial marriage wasn't a "thing" until recently, probably, yeah.
Ms. Williams assumes that all the white/black sexual encounters in her family tree were rape. She may very well be correct, but there is no way to know for sure that some cases were not consensual.
There can't be a "consensual" relationship between two people with such disparity of power. At least not in the sense we think of consensual.
Of course there can. A consensual relationship is by definition agreed to by both parties.

If one party doesn't consent, it's not a consensual relationship.
I know what consensual means. I also know that in a relationship BOTH parties need to be free to choose their actions toward one another. When a man OWNS a woman, has owned her since birth and will own her 'til she dies, is her absolute lord and master, can sell her, beat her to death without legal penalty, and take her whether she is in the mood or not, that is NOT a relationship that can be consensual.
Okay. Not worth the trouble.

I am Libertarian leaning. I do not see the need to have monuments and statues in this country celebrating people who were determined to keep our fellow Americans in chains. Yes, it is history, and should not be erased. However, it also should not be celebrated. Do not put them out on the courthouse square as something to be admired (and I know. We have a statue commemorating native sons who fought for the confederacy right on our courthouse lawn, just across the sidewalk from a statue of Frederick Douglass, also a native son of my county). I also see no need to pay, or right to be owed reparations. I see no need to celebrate something from our past that is nothing to be celebrated, and I also see no need to pay people off because of what their ancestors may have suffered. We most likely all have ancestors who have suffered. There is no way to calculate that, and almost everyone is better off here than they would have been in their native lands.

Last sentence is complete bigotry and ignorance.

Read this.

I agree. Reparations should be paid to former slaves.

I looked around, though -- seems like they're all dead.

The removing of statues is not really about outrage, it is about left wing cultural aggression, loathing and power

Read this and understand why monuments to confederate generals ought to be removed from public/government property. Museums...fine. But let’s stop this nonsense.

This woman is a fricking moron---------she assumes that her white ancestors were rapists failing to understand basics like interracial sex was often consensual in the US. My guess is that she is from the LOUSIANNA area where black/white relationships were very common. Her assumptions about her white ancestors is stupidly wrong.

But the dumb woman doesn't stop there---her assumptions fail to understand African culture----------------where slavery and rape were basic staples for eons among blacks. In fact the word HAREM comes africans love of attacking fellow tribes often distant relatives of theirs---------enslaving the males for work and enslaving the women as sex slaves and breeders in order to have more and more kids which is sign of wealth and power among african nations even today but then having women slaves to have dozens of kids of yours was a goal.

Whites enslaving blacks was about monetary gain and supposed the main goal was conversion to christianity (which the christians and schools doesn't like to talk about)---yes at times it was also about rape but rape wasn't widespread and would have been seen as evil by other whites if they even allowed it at all.

Genghis Khan raped so many women that An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today are his direct descendants...

... because of rape.

The removing of statues is not really about outrage, it is about left wing cultural aggression, loathing and power

Power-----it is no different from the bombing of ancient Buddhist art in Afghanistan and the bombing of the World Trade Center. Long ago I worked in an inner city hospital-------it was actually true that raping and murdering a 'white' woman was a "COUP" in the hood. The activity of BLM today is nothing new---it existed way back in the day (when I was young---THAT LONG AGO) ----but as a microcosm. I made the mistake of considering it ABBERANT. NOPE ---it's CULTURE. The culture is "I would not have had to kill her if she had stopped screaming" (a translation from the original 'hood language') I should add that a lot more of my work included evaluation of acute lead
poisoning to the brain (generally one lead slug----even a 22 calibre bullet CAN result in brain death--for the record----cops use either a 38 or a 45----not a single case of COP SLUG in all those years)

Read this and understand why monuments to confederate generals ought to be removed from public/government property. Museums...fine. But let’s stop this nonsense.

A lot of anger and self loathing over something not done to herself, but to her long dead ancestors by people long dead.

People died in that war on both sides at the time, which is the same side now, that's the agreement made by the men who bled for each cause, that each side could remember their dead and failed/successful leaders as they saw fit.

Wanting to change that over someone's hurt feelings is quite frankly short sighted and will only lead to more and more demands to whitewash history (ironic), and break the promises made a century and a half ago as part of the healing process between the two parts of the country.

Monuments or Statues to civil war southern dead are inherently evil?

Monuments or Statues to civil war southern dead are inherently evil?

I question why these monuments and statues were erected in the first place. Who put them there and what were they trying to prove? I can drive to Robert E. Lee's home in 15 minutes, but why would I honor him? I'm of European descent, and I have no reason to honor these folks. I can only imagine how people of African descent feel. I want a clean downtown where we can all meet and do whatever business we are there to do and meet, dine, and drink as we choose to.

Forum List

Back