Rape victims should repent for their sins

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Rape Victims At Fundamentalist Christian College Say They Were Told To Repent For Their Sins | ThinkProgress

The students who attend Bob Jones University, one of the most conservative Christian colleges in the country, say that they’re often traumatized after seeking counseling from school administrators on the issue of sexual assault. According to an Al Jazeera investigation, Bob Jones staff members have responded to allegations of rape by telling rape victims they should repent for their sins.

Katie Landry, who was raped by a coworker several times during the summer before she started attending Bob Jones, didn’t tell anyone about her assault for several years. She was deeply ashamed and failed most of her classes her first year of school. When she eventually sought counseling, the dean of students told her that “we have to find the sin in your life that caused your rape.”

“He confirmed my worst nightmare — it was something I had done, it was something about me, it was my fault,” Landry said in an interview with Al Jazeera’s program America Tonight. The dean also asked her if she had done anything “impure” or smoked pot.

“I think they should have not heaped more shame on me. Because I was already filled to the brim with shame. I didn’t need any more,” Landry added.

What is it with this fundie RW return to the Dark Ages and blaming the victim?

This is why victims don't report their attack.

Right, some dean of students is a moron, and you think he speaks for all "RW"s.

Carry on, dipshits.

An Al Jazeera investigation. That in itself is a pretty amazing circumstance.

Anyway, I doubt very many rw'ers would agree with something like this.

So Ludely, is Al Jazeera one of your regular sources ?

If you want accuracy and a lack of partisan bias, Al Jazeera is one of the best.

If you believe this report is untrue, by all means post proof. Otherwise, your complaint is just the usual crap about not liking the source and so choosing not to believe it.

IOW, your opinion is worthless.

To me, them people should repent for saying that them rape victims have anything to be sorry about when the victims didn't ask to be raped in the first place!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless you and the victims always!!!

Holly

Rape several times is a relationship unless she was kept tied up in a locked room.

There is no way to tell what really happened. Many of these stories are either completely fabricated or altered beyond all recognition.

If you want accuracy and a lack of partisan bias, Al Jazeera is one of the best.

If you believe this report is untrue, by all means post proof. Otherwise, your complaint is just the usual crap about not liking the source and so choosing not to believe it.

Aww, you're such a nice person Ludely ! :D

Rape several times is a relationship unless she was kept tied up in a locked room.
The victims may have been threatened by the rapists that if they said anything, something would happen to them or someone that they cared about or maybe they didn't think that anyone would believe them if they came forward anyways.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

actually, this is your thread, the BOP is on you. nice dodge.

Meanwhile in real news Muslims stone to death rape victims for having sex outside of marriage.

Rape several times is a relationship

And then the evil manpig continued to deny the existence of a Wrongpublican war on women, and no one took any conservatards seriously ever again.

The end.

Yeah, how dare Katz question how you get raped over and over by the same person, when you're not being held physically captive.
How dare he even question it !
So of course he's an evil bastard .

I beg to differ. It clearly leans anti-American and anti-Semitic.

Baum, who watched Al Jazeera fairly regularly when he spent time in Europe in the past few years, says "there's no question the mix of editorial views on it are more critical of U.S. policy and Israel, and more sympathetic to Arab perspectives

And yes, there is anti-Semitism, Nisbet adds

Al Jazeera Anti-Semitic and Anti-American

Rape Victims At Fundamentalist Christian College Say They Were Told To Repent For Their Sins | ThinkProgress

The students who attend Bob Jones University, one of the most conservative Christian colleges in the country, say that they’re often traumatized after seeking counseling from school administrators on the issue of sexual assault. According to an Al Jazeera investigation, Bob Jones staff members have responded to allegations of rape by telling rape victims they should repent for their sins.

Katie Landry, who was raped by a coworker several times during the summer before she started attending Bob Jones, didn’t tell anyone about her assault for several years. She was deeply ashamed and failed most of her classes her first year of school. When she eventually sought counseling, the dean of students told her that “we have to find the sin in your life that caused your rape.”

“He confirmed my worst nightmare — it was something I had done, it was something about me, it was my fault,” Landry said in an interview with Al Jazeera’s program America Tonight. The dean also asked her if she had done anything “impure” or smoked pot.

“I think they should have not heaped more shame on me. Because I was already filled to the brim with shame. I didn’t need any more,” Landry added.

Hey, this "blame the rape victim" defense has worked for the Kennedy clan for decades, and it worked for Bill Clinton too.

I thought this thread would be about Hillary Clinton and her attack on the 12 year old rape victim.

Oh well.

There is no way to tell what really happened. Many of these stories are either completely fabricated or altered beyond all recognition.

This reminded me of something I read oj Simpson said. I thought it was such a shocking, off handed way of describing rape that I remember it.

That 'sometimes, when Nicole didn't want to give it up, he had no choice but to take it'.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Meanwhile in real news Muslims stone to death rape victims for having sex outside of marriage.

Why is it, when the thread is about, oh say, apples .... Some sloppy headed dunderhead tries to make it about shoelaces.

If you want to discuss Muslim law, start a thread.

This particular thread concerns America and Americans.

Why is it, when the thread is about, oh say, apples .... Some sloppy headed dunderhead tries to make it about shoelaces.

If you want to discuss Muslim law, start a thread.

You claim outrage because some random christian may have said something about rape victims needing to repent. I am on topic, Muslims in General, not some random singleton, advocate killing rape victims for the affront of having sex out of wedlock.

Hey, this "blame the rape victim" defense has worked for the Kennedy clan for decades, and it worked for Bill Clinton too.

Those two don't count. At least if you're a liberal they don't that is.

Forum List

Back