Reagan on raising the debt ceiling.

ron4342

VIP Member
Feb 29, 2012
"Unfortunately, Congress consistently brings the government to the edge of default before facing its responsibility. This brinkmanship threatens the holders of government bonds and those who rely on Social Security and veterans benefits. Interest rates would skyrocket, instability would occur in financial markets, and the federal deficit would soar. The United States has a special responsibility to itself and the world to meet its obligations. It means we have a well-earned reputation for reliability and credibility -- two things that set us apart from much of the world."
Ronald Reagan
Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times during his presidency. NOT ONCE (Let me repeat that: NOT ONCE) was he given a bill with riders from the Congress. Every bill he received regarding the debt ceiling was a clean bill. If Reagan were to give this speech today he would be thrown under a whole fleet of buses. The good thing about that is that he would pop out from under the buses as a Democrat and he would be condemning republicans at the top of his lungs.

I don't give a flying fuck what Reagan or FDR or Washington did. I care what the people on Capitol Hill and in the White House are doing NOW.

Then there was this guy that said:
“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. ... I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

I don't give a flying fuck what Reagan or FDR or Washington did. I care what the people on Capitol Hill and in the White House are doing NOW.
Virtually every recent president has raised the debt ceiling. It was raised seven times under george w. bush. Clinton raised it four times. Pappy Bush raised it four times. As noted above reagan raised it 18 times. Exactly why is raising the debt ceiling this time more important than raising it the other 33 times? Could it be because the republicans are trying to blackmail the country into defunding Obamacare by threatening to destroy the economy and our credit rating?

The US credit rating has already been downgraded. It happened right after Congress voted to raise the debt ceiling in 2011. It happened again after that, especially right after QE3.

I'm not interested in blame games or partisan politics or party cheerleading any longer. Raising the debt ceiling and continuing to take on debt isn't working and all we're getting out of DC, from both parties, is "but the other party did it too!"

Well I guess you qualify for that famous saying that THOSE WHO FAIL TO LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT. I didn't vote for Reagan. Did you?

So because past leaders have ignored the debt and just kicked the can down the road by raising the debt ceiling we should continue the practice you gotta love that logic.

It's called CONGRESS and no term limits and a safety net for their personal well being and salaries and health care and perks until the day they fucking fall over and die.

But just take the easy route and blame Obama.

Virtually every recent president has raised the debt ceiling. It was raised seven times under george w. bush. Clinton raised it four times. Pappy Bush raised it four times. As noted above reagan raised it 18 times. Exactly why is raising the debt ceiling this time more important than raising it the other 33 times? Could it be because the republicans are trying to blackmail the country into defunding Obamacare by threatening to destroy the economy and our credit rating?

Yes. The Tea Party assholes, to be exact. Just look in their pockets and you'll see not only Boehner's balls but Ted Cruz's too.

Well I guess you qualify for that famous saying that THOSE WHO FAIL TO LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT. I didn't vote for Reagan. Did you?

The corollary is none of the situations that existed at the time exist now. We've tried passing the debt limit and turning on the printing presses and the US credit rating dropped a whopping two years ago. It didn't work then, it's not likely to work now.

There's another famous phrase. INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT

So because past leaders have ignored the debt and just kicked the can down the road by raising the debt ceiling we should continue the practice you gotta love that logic.

It's called CONGRESS and no term limits and a safety net for their personal well being and salaries and health care and perks until the day they fucking fall over and die.

But just take the easy route and blame Obama.

Your dam right I will because he shares the blame he is not fully to blame but he is not blameless either just as all who came before him Democrat and Republican are not.

Forum List

Back