Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

Tomato Sauce vs. Marinara Sauce​

Marinara sauce is a simpler sauce than tomato sauce. A traditional marinara has tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Tomato sauce has more ingredients including onions, carrots, celery, and additional seasonings. Any recipe that calls for marinara can also use tomato sauce, although it will alter the flavor slightly.
Marinara Sauce vs. Tomato Sauce: An Expert Explains the Difference

Canned or Fresh Tomatoes in Tomato Sauce​

When tomatoes are in season, fresh tomatoes are great in this sauce. But, when tomatoes aren't in season and your only option is grocery store tomatoes that can be flavorless, canned tomatoes are a better choice for homemade tomato sauce. Note that if you do use fresh tomatoes, the simmering time may take longer.

7 Types of Canned Tomatoes and How to Use Them​

A few other articles/links;

Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce - Savoring Italy

How to Make a Basic Tomato Sauce - Food Network

Simple Tomato Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Authentic Homemade Tomato Sauce for Pasta (Quick and Easy)

Which brand?
1712166763170.png

I worked in tomato canneries back in the seventies and after one season, I couldn't tough ketchup for about five years. We had multiple Hunts, Del Monte and Heinz as well as co-op canneries in our area.
I can relate.
Back about late sixties I worked a few weeks (harvest crunch) at a local cucumber/pickle factory and it was a few years before I could tolerate the smell of dill or eat pickles. This was a local brand here in the PNW, located in my home town of Enumclaw, WA. Brand known as "Farman's - The King of Pickles" - later bought out by Nalley's, anther PNW popular brand.

I can relate.
Back about late sixties I worked a few weeks (harvest crunch) at a local cucumber/pickle factory and it was a few years before I could tolerate the smell of dill or eat pickles. This was a local brand here in the PNW, located in my home town of Enumclaw, WA. Brand known as "Farman's - The King of Pickles" - later bought out by Nalley's, anther PNW popular brand.
I am a transplant to NE WA and was unaware of pickles being a product. I thought WA was pretty much apple products, cranberries and in the last twenty years or so, a real player in the wine market. Thanks for the info.

Diaspora Chefs Are Shaping the Future of American Barbecue​

The new wave of barbecue in America is getting an exciting flavor infusion from Thai, Mexican, and Pakistani cuisines, among others
Can we all agree that America’s barbecue traditions can get a little silly? It’s great to honor the traditions that grew in the different parts of Texas and Tennessee and every corner of the Carolinas, but often it feels like barbecue appreciation devolves into petty prescriptivism about who is allowed to have sauce and who isn’t, and where mustard can exist. One of the oldest, most universal forms of cooking — slow roasting and smoking meat over an offset or open flame — becomes closed off to its own universality.

But over the past decade or so, America’s barbecue culture has gotten an injection from the immigrants and second-generation Americans who are incorporating American barbecue into their cuisines, and vice versa. It’s not quite chaos cooking, but more of a thoughtful fusion that emerges naturally from growing up in barbecue-rich locales. And it’s both a reminder that barbecue doesn’t have to be so rigid, and that, in fact, it never was.

This mix of international influence and American tradition isn’t limited to one barbecue region. At BuckTui BBQ in Overland Park, Kansas, Ted Liberda combines Thai cuisine and Kansas City barbecue with dishes like pork ribs with sweet chile glaze, and “Thai-KC burnt ends.” Sabar Barbecue in Fort Worth, Texas, brings Pakistani flavors to Texas traditions with seekh kebab sausages and sides like fruit chaat, while Blood Bros in Bellaire, Texas, makes a “pho rubbed beef belly” banh mi, and brisket chow fun. Austin, Texas’s new Si Baby-Q combines Mexican and Southeast Asian flavors in its barbecue, and serves it all with roti. In LA, Winnie Yee’s Smoke Queen combines multiple American styles with Asian flavors, serving pork belly char siu and beef ribs smoked with a gochujang sauce. And Atlanta’s Heirloom BBQ offers gochujang-rubbed spare ribs and collard greens with miso broth.

Note all those blue color underlined links contained in the above - for more interesting variations.

I am a transplant to NE WA and was unaware of pickles being a product. I thought WA was pretty much apple products, cranberries and in the last twenty years or so, a real player in the wine market. Thanks for the info.
WA is quite the agriculture state. On the East side, not only apples, but also peaches and apricots; hops, and lots of wheat, potatoes, alfalfa, and similar that want a long hot Summer season.

Here in my NW 4th Corner of WA we produce the larger share of the nation's raspberries and blueberries. Also a lot of feed corn for the dairy farms. (Also a good variety of more potatoes, and greens and other garden veggies, etc.)

That's just the flora side and the major ones.

Fauna side has milk/dairy of course. But also a respectable slice of salmon, crab, shrimp, squid, clams, oysters, mussels, scallops, some cod, etc. for seafood slice. Plenty of trout, perch, and other lake fish for the fresh water slice.

BTW, welcome to Washington State!:113:
If you're up for it, PM me where you are at.
During last couple weeks, wife and I have done a couple long weekend drives to see some of the kids and grandkids living in Spokane, and Kalispell, MT.

Diaspora Chefs Are Shaping the Future of American Barbecue​

The new wave of barbecue in America is getting an exciting flavor infusion from Thai, Mexican, and Pakistani cuisines, among others
Can we all agree that America’s barbecue traditions can get a little silly? It’s great to honor the traditions that grew in the different parts of Texas and Tennessee and every corner of the Carolinas, but often it feels like barbecue appreciation devolves into petty prescriptivism about who is allowed to have sauce and who isn’t, and where mustard can exist. One of the oldest, most universal forms of cooking — slow roasting and smoking meat over an offset or open flame — becomes closed off to its own universality.

But over the past decade or so, America’s barbecue culture has gotten an injection from the immigrants and second-generation Americans who are incorporating American barbecue into their cuisines, and vice versa. It’s not quite chaos cooking, but more of a thoughtful fusion that emerges naturally from growing up in barbecue-rich locales. And it’s both a reminder that barbecue doesn’t have to be so rigid, and that, in fact, it never was.

This mix of international influence and American tradition isn’t limited to one barbecue region. At BuckTui BBQ in Overland Park, Kansas, Ted Liberda combines Thai cuisine and Kansas City barbecue with dishes like pork ribs with sweet chile glaze, and “Thai-KC burnt ends.” Sabar Barbecue in Fort Worth, Texas, brings Pakistani flavors to Texas traditions with seekh kebab sausages and sides like fruit chaat, while Blood Bros in Bellaire, Texas, makes a “pho rubbed beef belly” banh mi, and brisket chow fun. Austin, Texas’s new Si Baby-Q combines Mexican and Southeast Asian flavors in its barbecue, and serves it all with roti. In LA, Winnie Yee’s Smoke Queen combines multiple American styles with Asian flavors, serving pork belly char siu and beef ribs smoked with a gochujang sauce. And Atlanta’s Heirloom BBQ offers gochujang-rubbed spare ribs and collard greens with miso broth.

Note all those blue color underlined links contained in the above - for more interesting variations.
I believe there are BBQ snobs that are much the same as craft-beer and wine snobs. The bottom line, IMHO, is the best BBQ is the one YOU like.

but also peaches and apricots
You can keep the WA peaches and apricots. Growing season is too short and not warm enough for a decent stone fruit. I'll agree with the hops, and potatoes and any other root veggies and the climate is perfect for most berries, my faves BTW. I really wasn't referring to anything but the flora.
I live in the sticks of NE WA (almost Canada/Idaho). When we were searching in 2000, I had decided on Kalispell, but when I returned 5 years later, I was priced out of Kalispell--200K had turned into 2M so I looked at N. ID and NE WA. After seeing what has happened to Kalispell, I am kind of glad. I avoid Spokane like the plague. Being a conservative who escaped commiefornia, I don't want anything to do with the democrats in Spokane.

Last edited:
To each their own, and the following for reference sake.
I'll stick with Cento brand for both taste and because they don't add citric acid, which my wife has a sensitivity to.

I Tried 6 Brands of Canned Tomatoes—This Is the 1 I'll Buy From Now On​

Stock up on the good stuff.

30 Mediterranean Meals, From Fish Stew to Lamb Shish Kebabs​

Channel a meal on the coast of Greece, Israel, Italy, and nearly 20 other countries with this widely influenced and celebrated cuisine.

To each their own, and the following for reference sake.
I'll stick with Cento brand for both taste and because they don't add citric acid, which my wife has a sensitivity to.

I Tried 6 Brands of Canned Tomatoes—This Is the 1 I'll Buy From Now On​

Stock up on the good stuff.
LOL, the first, fourth and fifth choices are all canned within a few miles of each other. Hunt's--Oakdale, CA (ConAgra), Contadina--Riverbank, CA and Del Monte--Modesto, CA, I worked there for a season 50 years ago. I don't know about Cento or Red Gold but they could come from the same canneries as they can many lesser known brands. I think the tasters were fooling themselves.

Forum List

Back