Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

I just want to know why beer and lemonade are mixed together. This is not ok. Ever.

That's almost as bad as "centre".
But a slice/wedge of lemon, or lime, can give an appealing twist of flavor to some beers.

Perhaps not the final word on the matter, but a starting point ...

Prawn is a common name for small aquatic crustaceans with an exoskeleton and ten legs (which is a member of the order decapoda), some of which can be eaten.[1]

The term prawn[2] is used particularly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Commonwealth nations, for large swimming crustaceans or shrimp, especially those with commercial significance in the fishing industry. Shrimp that are present in this category often belong to the suborder Dendrobranchiata. In North America, the term is used less frequently, typically for freshwater shrimp. The terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years, the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and these days the terms are almost interchangeable.

The terms shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms. They are not taxa, but are terms of convenience with little circumscriptional significance. There is no reason to avoid using the terms shrimp or prawn when convenient, but it is important not to confuse them with the names or relationships of actual taxa.[2]

According to the crustacean taxonomist Tin-Yam Chan, "The terms shrimp and prawn have no definite reference to any known taxonomic groups. Although the term shrimp is sometimes applied to smaller species, while prawn is more often used for larger forms, there is no clear distinction between both terms and their usage is often confused or even reverse in different countries or regions."[3] Writing in 1980, L. B. Holthuis noted that the terms prawn and shrimp were used inconsistently "even within a single region", generalising that larger species fished commercially were generally called shrimp in the United States, and prawns in other English-speaking countries, although not without exceptions.[4]

A lot of confusion surrounds the scope of the term shrimp. Part of the confusion originates with the association of smallness. That creates problems with shrimp-like species that are not small. The expression "jumbo shrimp" can be viewed as an oxymoron, a problem that doesn't exist with the commercial designation "jumbo prawns".[5]
Taxonomic studies in Europe on shrimp and prawns were shaped by the common shrimp and the common prawn, both found in huge numbers along the European coastlines. The common shrimp, Crangon crangon, was categorised in 1758 by Carl Linnaeus, and the common prawn, Palaemon serratus, was categorised in 1777 by Thomas Pennant. The common shrimp is a small burrowing species aligned with the notion of a shrimp as being something small, whereas the common prawn is much larger. The terms true shrimp or true prawn are sometimes used to mean what a particular person thinks is a shrimp or prawn.[2] This varies with the person using the terms. But such terms are not normally used in the scientific literature, because the terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and nowadays the terms are almost interchangeable. Although from time to time some biologists declare that certain common names should be confined to specific taxa, the popular use of these names seems to continue unchanged.[2][12]

All that did was prove me right...thanks.
If that's all that really matters, and you missed the part of how the terms are often used interchangeably ... than large deal.

Rather petty issue if you ask me.

Not at all.
If you dont understand something research it before posting.
It ain't hard.
Excuse me Mr. Snarky, I did.

In both the fish market and on menus have seen the term used interchangeability and one of the main differences was with size. Besides, in many cases most of the body and/or shell are gone so both look the same, other than size. Where one place has called them "large shrimp" another has called them "large prawns". Meanwhile refer back to the earlier post here on differences between UK-Commonwealth use and USA use of the terms.

Just because you have a custom in Texas doesn't mean it's the same around the world.

Shrimp are shrimp...prawns are prawns.
Thats it.
You claimed it was about size which is nothing close to the truth.
Are crawfish lobsters only smaller? Of course not,they may be related but they're not the same at all.
Crawfish can like prawns live in brackish or fresh water,while lobster and shrimp require salt water.
You have no clue about seafood and I've grown up around it. In fact I worked on shrimp boats in my youth.
I'd suggest you stop now....or are you going to claim oysters are the same thing as mussles.
Did you read post # 28 and understand it?
Or understand my original comment was in response to such?
Have you shopped the fishmarket and frozen food sections and noticed how the terms are interchanged?
Looked at any restaurant menus lately to see how they are interchanged?
When it comes to using the terms interchangeably it is a matter of size.

Meanwhile it's becoming clear your brain is a shrimp.

LOL....as someone who grew up on the gulf coast I know my fish and shrimp.
I bet you call crawfish crawdads.....
Tempted to edit for brevity, but ...
"Crawfish" redirects here. For other uses, see Crawfish (disambiguation).

Crayfish are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters (to which they are related). In some parts of the United States, they are also known as crawfish, craydids, crawdaddies, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs, or yabbies. Taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills. Some species are found in brooks and streams, where fresh water is running, while others thrive in swamps, ditches, and paddy fields. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water, although some species, such as Procambarus clarkii, are hardier. Crayfish feed on animals and plants, either living or decomposing, and detritus.[1]

The term "crayfish" is applied to saltwater species in some countries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As someone whom grew up in the Pacific North West -Puget Sound I also know a bit about fish. For example the geoduck is not your typical mollusk.

There are very few saltwater crawfish/crayfish,in fact they aren't even worth mentioning.
When someone says crawfish they are refering to fresh water crawfish....end of story.
And as we all know the south rules when it comes to crawfish.
How many lbs of crawfish have you boiled?
Me,I couldnt even tell you but it's easily over 12k lbs in my life,or 6 tons, considering we cook over 300 lbs every year and I've done that for the last 35 years.
Go away rookie,you're making yourself look desparete.
Don't have many crawfish/crayfish here in the PNW, and they don't look worth the trouble anyway.

Would seem counting coup is important to you, which makes you look like the desperate rookie.

So I guess that means oysters aren't worth the trouble......
Raw, or cooked on the half-shell?
We've a lot more oysters here than crawfish/crayfish/crawdads~ and oysters taste better.

I'd be willing to bet you've never had Cajun Crawfish.
I've ordered oysters from Washington state and they suck compared to Gulf coast oysters.
Long ago. I'd rather go with local crab, Dungeness or King.
There are numerous varities of oysters here and you may have prepared them wrong. Best to do fresh.

Who the hell eats dead oysters and how exactly does one prepare oysters on the half shell wrong?
I had them overnighted and wasn't impressed.
So you say.
Excuse me if I find your credibility questionable.

BTW, since oysters can be had in jar and smoked, their are many ways to eat then dead. Usually they have died when eaten raw unless do so immediately after harvested.

One way to do "half shell" is barbecue. Over cook and gets a bit chewy.

I dont eat dead oysters unless they're in a pot of Gumbo.
And you're full of shit when you say oysters die immediately after harvest which leads me to believe you have no clue about oysters.
They'll stay alive for up to a week after harvesting them if they're kept cold.
I'd didn't say they die immediately after harvest, that's another of your erroneous assumptions, which you've made several of.

They need to be kept cold in salt water, preferably same as where they were taken.

Meanwhile, increasingly clear you are concerned with being an ass on the internet rather than any productive dialogue, so you go ahead and ramble on your mental diarrhea, I'm not engaging you any longer. Better things to do with my time and energy.

I love you people but could you break the chain? I keep getting notifications.

Thanks!

I just want to know why beer and lemonade are mixed together. This is not ok. Ever.

But a slice/wedge of lemon, or lime, can give an appealing twist of flavor to some beers.

Prawn is a common name for small aquatic crustaceans with an exoskeleton and ten legs (which is a member of the order decapoda), some of which can be eaten.[1]

The term prawn[2] is used particularly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Commonwealth nations, for large swimming crustaceans or shrimp, especially those with commercial significance in the fishing industry. Shrimp that are present in this category often belong to the suborder Dendrobranchiata. In North America, the term is used less frequently, typically for freshwater shrimp. The terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years, the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and these days the terms are almost interchangeable.

The terms shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms. They are not taxa, but are terms of convenience with little circumscriptional significance. There is no reason to avoid using the terms shrimp or prawn when convenient, but it is important not to confuse them with the names or relationships of actual taxa.[2]

According to the crustacean taxonomist Tin-Yam Chan, "The terms shrimp and prawn have no definite reference to any known taxonomic groups. Although the term shrimp is sometimes applied to smaller species, while prawn is more often used for larger forms, there is no clear distinction between both terms and their usage is often confused or even reverse in different countries or regions."[3] Writing in 1980, L. B. Holthuis noted that the terms prawn and shrimp were used inconsistently "even within a single region", generalising that larger species fished commercially were generally called shrimp in the United States, and prawns in other English-speaking countries, although not without exceptions.[4]

A lot of confusion surrounds the scope of the term shrimp. Part of the confusion originates with the association of smallness. That creates problems with shrimp-like species that are not small. The expression "jumbo shrimp" can be viewed as an oxymoron, a problem that doesn't exist with the commercial designation "jumbo prawns".[5]
Taxonomic studies in Europe on shrimp and prawns were shaped by the common shrimp and the common prawn, both found in huge numbers along the European coastlines. The common shrimp, Crangon crangon, was categorised in 1758 by Carl Linnaeus, and the common prawn, Palaemon serratus, was categorised in 1777 by Thomas Pennant. The common shrimp is a small burrowing species aligned with the notion of a shrimp as being something small, whereas the common prawn is much larger. The terms true shrimp or true prawn are sometimes used to mean what a particular person thinks is a shrimp or prawn.[2] This varies with the person using the terms. But such terms are not normally used in the scientific literature, because the terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and nowadays the terms are almost interchangeable. Although from time to time some biologists declare that certain common names should be confined to specific taxa, the popular use of these names seems to continue unchanged.[2][12]

If that's all that really matters, and you missed the part of how the terms are often used interchangeably ... than large deal.

Not at all.
It ain't hard.

In both the fish market and on menus have seen the term used interchangeability and one of the main differences was with size. Besides, in many cases most of the body and/or shell are gone so both look the same, other than size. Where one place has called them "large shrimp" another has called them "large prawns". Meanwhile refer back to the earlier post here on differences between UK-Commonwealth use and USA use of the terms.

Just because you have a custom in Texas doesn't mean it's the same around the world.

Thats it.
Are crawfish lobsters only smaller? Of course not,they may be related but they're not the same at all.
Crawfish can like prawns live in brackish or fresh water,while lobster and shrimp require salt water.
You have no clue about seafood and I've grown up around it. In fact I worked on shrimp boats in my youth.
I'd suggest you stop now....or are you going to claim oysters are the same thing as mussles.
Have you shopped the fishmarket and frozen food sections and noticed how the terms are interchanged?

Crayfish are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters (to which they are related). In some parts of the United States, they are also known as crawfish, craydids, crawdaddies, crawdads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs, or yabbies. Taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills. Some species are found in brooks and streams, where fresh water is running, while others thrive in swamps, ditches, and paddy fields. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water, although some species, such as Procambarus clarkii, are hardier. Crayfish feed on animals and plants, either living or decomposing, and detritus.[1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As someone whom grew up in the Pacific North West -Puget Sound I also know a bit about fish. For example the geoduck is not your typical mollusk.

There are very few saltwater crawfish/crayfish,in fact they aren't even worth mentioning.
When someone says crawfish they are refering to fresh water crawfish....end of story.
Me,I couldnt even tell you but it's easily over 12k lbs in my life,or 6 tons, considering we cook over 300 lbs every year and I've done that for the last 35 years.
Don't have many crawfish/crayfish here in the PNW, and they don't look worth the trouble anyway.

Would seem counting coup is important to you, which makes you look like the desperate rookie.

We've a lot more oysters here than crawfish/crayfish/crawdads~ and oysters taste better.

I've ordered oysters from Washington state and they suck compared to Gulf coast oysters.
There are numerous varities of oysters here and you may have prepared them wrong. Best to do fresh.

Who the hell eats dead oysters and how exactly does one prepare oysters on the half shell wrong?
So you say.

BTW, since oysters can be had in jar and smoked, their are many ways to eat then dead. Usually they have died when eaten raw unless do so immediately after harvested.

And you're full of shit when you say oysters die immediately after harvest which leads me to believe you have no clue about oysters.
I'd didn't say they die immediately after harvest, that's another of your erroneous assumptions, which you've made several of.

They need to be kept cold in salt water, preferably same as where they were taken.

Meanwhile, increasingly clear you are concerned with being an ass on the internet rather than any productive dialogue, so you go ahead and ramble on your mental diarrhea, I'm not engaging you any longer. Better things to do with my time and energy.

LOL..you dont need saltwater to keep them alive.
You're a dumbass of the highest order and you prove it with every post.
Not engaging me is probably your best bet since I make you look like an absolute moron with every single post you make.

Not at all.
It ain't hard.

Thats it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So you say.

You said it not me.
"Usually they have died when eaten raw unless do so immediately after harvested."

1618805167024.png
I learned something my self. I always called them fresh water shrimp.

Post #28 on page 2 of this thread is where the claim that what we in the USA call "shrimp" are called "prawns" in the UK.

If "HereWeGoAgain" had half a brain and any integrity, he/she/it would have responded to that post number. Fact that this "Texan" gomba decided to pick a spittin' match with me shows he not out to make a positive contribution here, rather lookin' for some way to score cheap coup.

Also, since his profile page offers little substance on whom or what "he" is, another sign typical of most internet trolls and other deadwood;
Internet_dog.jpg

Mexican Street Tacos Recipe
Easy, quick, authentic carne asada street tacos you can now make right at home. Top with onion, cilantro + fresh lime juice.

Easy, quick, authentic carne asada street tacos you can now make right at home. Top with onion, cilantro + fresh lime juice.
Ooohps ...
Here's that alternate, but similar recipe;

How To Cook Beans in the Oven
The most hands-off, trouble-free way to cook beans.

Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuit Recipe
Loaded with crispy bacon bits, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and chives. The biscuits come out perfectly flaky and buttery every time.

I may have presented this before, excuse the "lazy" to not rummage back through prior posts. I love garlic so there is the first appeal. My wife has a sensitivity to soy, so I'll have to work a substitute for that ingredient.

Sometimes, fish sauce makes a good substitute for the soy sauce. Also, we prefer black rice over brown (or red) as there is more nutritional value and better chew.
FWIW:
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
The recipe is only eight ingredients (nine if you are a stickler and count the rice).
Save the white styrofoam container for a more desperate time—today we’re making easy Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. Its sweet, sticky sauce has all the allure of your favorite takeout but is made of healthy, natural ingredients. The recipe is only eight ingredients (nine if you are a stickler and count the rice), and if you cook Asian food regularly (meaning you own soy sauce), you have all of them in your pantry right now.

I regularly hear that you are constantly on the lookout for healthy, easy crockpot chicken recipes. As a fellow appreciator of keeping dinner simple (but delicious!) and healthy (but by no means “diet”), recipes like this slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs are some of my absolute favorites to create.

Sort of a footnote item here, but pending another thread it might better fit;

The Pirate Who Penned the First English-Language Guacamole Recipe​

William Dampier’s food-writing firsts included the use of the words “barbecue” and “chopsticks.”​

For all the perceived glamour of piracy, its practitioners lived poorly and ate worse. Skirting death, mutiny, and capture left little room for comfort or transformative culinary experience. The greatest names in piracy, wealthy by the day’s standards, ate as one today might on a poorly provisioned camping trip: dried beef, bread, and warm beer. Those of lesser fame were subject to cannibalism and scurvy. The seas were no place for an adventurous appetite.

But when one gifted pirate permitted himself a curiosity for food, he played a pioneering role in spreading ingredients and cuisines. He gave us the words “tortilla,” “soy sauce,” and “breadfruit,” while unknowingly recording the first ever recipe for guacamole. And who better to expose the Western world to the far corners of our planet’s culinary bounty than someone who by necessity made them his hiding places?

British-born William Dampier began a life of piracy in 1679 in Mexico’s Bay of Campeche. Orphaned in his late teens, Dampier set sail for the Caribbean and fell into a twentysomething job scramble. Seeing no future in logging or sugar plantations, he was sucked into the burgeoning realm of New World raiding, beginning what would be the first of his record-breaking three circumnavigations. A prolific diarist, Dampier kept a journal wrapped in a wax-sealed bamboo tube throughout his journeys. During a year-long prison sentence in Spain in 1694, Dampier would convert these notes into a novel that became a bestseller and seminal travelogue.
While you won’t find flamingos, penguins, or turtles on too many contemporary menus, several contributions from A New Voyage reshaped our modern English food vocabulary.* In the Bay of Panama, Damier wrote of a fruit “as big as a large lemon … [with] skin [like] black bark, and pretty smooth.” Lacking distinct flavor, he wrote, the ripened fruit was “mixed with sugar and lime juice and beaten together [on] a plate.” This was likely the English language’s very first recipe for guacamole. Later, in the Philippines, Dampier noted of young mangoes that locals “cut them in two pieces and pickled them with salt and vinegar, in which they put some cloves of garlic.” This was the English language’s first recipe for mango chutney. His use of the terms “chopsticks,” “barbecue,” “cashew,” “kumquat,” “tortilla,” and “soy sauce” were also the first of their kind.

As the title suggests, a place for stashing those recipes you come across and want to share~save without starting a dedicated and exclusive thread.

Lead off with a selection of recipes for beef stroganoff;

Beef Stroganoff Recipes

Beef stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food. With switched-up ingredients and creative twists, these popular variations elevate the classic dish from familiar to fabulous.
Pasta Roni used to make a stroganoff packaged dish that we liked. LOL However it has been discontinued so we will be trying these out.

I have the solution. We need HereWeGoAgain and his wife to make cooking videos. For real. Because he makes amazing things.

I think buttercup makes cooking videos, too.

You just dont see the cheap ass shit we make when we're lazy.
Sure I love making complicated stuff,but I'm known to eat a whole pot of Kraft Macaroni and cheese or some frozen corn dogs.

But, that's ok. Some of the stuff you make is complicated.

Making difficult things makes cooking worthwhile for me and far more interesting.
The way I figure it is ya gotta eat so why not expand your horizons and go for broke?
You wont see our multiple fuck ups that we spent hours on.....I just see them as learning experiences.
The Wife always tries to console me but I'm my biggest critic.
If it sucks it sucks and I'm not going to sugar coat things.
I've gotten into baking in the last couple of years, but haven't done too much in the way of main dishes--I guess maybe it's time to start.

I have the solution. We need HereWeGoAgain and his wife to make cooking videos. For real. Because he makes amazing things.

I think buttercup makes cooking videos, too.

You just dont see the cheap ass shit we make when we're lazy.
Sure I love making complicated stuff,but I'm known to eat a whole pot of Kraft Macaroni and cheese or some frozen corn dogs.

But, that's ok. Some of the stuff you make is complicated.

Making difficult things makes cooking worthwhile for me and far more interesting.
The way I figure it is ya gotta eat so why not expand your horizons and go for broke?
You wont see our multiple fuck ups that we spent hours on.....I just see them as learning experiences.
The Wife always tries to console me but I'm my biggest critic.
If it sucks it sucks and I'm not going to sugar coat things.
I've gotten into baking in the last couple of years, but haven't done too much in the way of main dishes--I guess maybe it's time to start.

My baking skills are pretty limited because I'm not really into baking.
The only thing we really bake is cornbread and Kolaches.

Attachments

• 3FAD7C68-542C-4703-9431-C77F3B54D2C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    3FAD7C68-542C-4703-9431-C77F3B54D2C7_1_201_a.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 27

Forum List

Back