Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

I have the solution. We need HereWeGoAgain and his wife to make cooking videos. For real. Because he makes amazing things.

I think buttercup makes cooking videos, too.

You just dont see the cheap ass shit we make when we're lazy.
Sure I love making complicated stuff,but I'm known to eat a whole pot of Kraft Macaroni and cheese or some frozen corn dogs.

But, that's ok. Some of the stuff you make is complicated.

Making difficult things makes cooking worthwhile for me and far more interesting.
The way I figure it is ya gotta eat so why not expand your horizons and go for broke?
You wont see our multiple fuck ups that we spent hours on.....I just see them as learning experiences.
The Wife always tries to console me but I'm my biggest critic.
If it sucks it sucks and I'm not going to sugar coat things.
I've gotten into baking in the last couple of years, but haven't done too much in the way of main dishes--I guess maybe it's time to start.

My baking skills are pretty limited because I'm not really into baking.
The only thing we really bake is cornbread and Kolaches.
I love breads, pies, cakes, pastries etc. Luckily, I have a metabolism that allows me to eat all of these things and gain zero weight.

I have the solution. We need HereWeGoAgain and his wife to make cooking videos. For real. Because he makes amazing things.

I think buttercup makes cooking videos, too.

You just dont see the cheap ass shit we make when we're lazy.
Sure I love making complicated stuff,but I'm known to eat a whole pot of Kraft Macaroni and cheese or some frozen corn dogs.

But, that's ok. Some of the stuff you make is complicated.

Making difficult things makes cooking worthwhile for me and far more interesting.
The way I figure it is ya gotta eat so why not expand your horizons and go for broke?
You wont see our multiple fuck ups that we spent hours on.....I just see them as learning experiences.
The Wife always tries to console me but I'm my biggest critic.
If it sucks it sucks and I'm not going to sugar coat things.
I've gotten into baking in the last couple of years, but haven't done too much in the way of main dishes--I guess maybe it's time to start.

My baking skills are pretty limited because I'm not really into baking.
The only thing we really bake is cornbread and Kolaches.
I love breads, pies, cakes, pastries etc. Luckily, I have a metabolism that allows me to eat all of these things and gain zero weight.

Oh I love a nice fresh loaf of bread smothered with butter but I have to keep it to a minimum with my type 2 diabetes.

The secret ingredient of comfort food? Struggle.​

With pho, Spam, and Hoppin' John, pandemic baking joins a tradition.
These days, pho is everywhere. The steaming bowl of rice noodles in broth is a mainstay on Vietnamese restaurant menus worldwide — comfort food served at corner shops, food trucks, and fancy fusion restaurants. It’s a dramatic evolution for a dish that originated out of hunger and struggle.

Pho was created in Hanoi in the early 20th century, when French colonialists craved steak, and the poor masses had to make do with the scraps, says Andrea Nguyen, a prolific Vietnamese cookbook author. Vietnamese butchers had to preserve every speck of meat, so they got creative and served it in noodle soup. “Pho was born out of resourceful cooking, necessity, and scrappy people trying to make a living,” Nguyen says.

Pho is just one example of a dish that evolved from harsh necessity to cultural mainstay. Robert Hall, a professor emeritus of African American Studies and History at Northeastern University, points to Hoppin’ John, a dish of black-eyed peas (domesticated in Africa) and rice. It was made by slaves in the Carolinas dating from the 1670s, when rice was readily available and easily cultivated. Now it’s a soul food staple — a concept that’s “almost posh,” Hall says — often served as a celebratory dish on New Year’s Eve.

The history of food worldwide is intertwined with trauma — from the ceremonial matzoh that represents the Jews’ escape from bondage in Egypt to the wartime Spam that became a signature of Eisenhower-era pantries. The bubonic plague that wracked Europe in the 1300s created a labor shortage, upended class distinctions, and made spices more affordable, expanding medieval serfs’ diets with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

And if you found yourself baking sourdough bread, pickling onions, or tending a garden during the COVID-19 shutdown, you experienced a modern kind of culinary crossroads. This past spring, people hoarded scarce ingredients, became more self-reliant about preparing and cooking food, and even rethought the power dynamics between food workers and their employers.

Time will tell which of those pandemic-driven changes will persist. But for some clues about the diet and dynamics of food in the future, it’s helpful to look at the challenges of the past.

Cucumber, Tomato, and Avocado Salad Recipe​

So fresh, so simple, and so flavorful.​

When I brought this salad to my parents house, everyone loved it! This is definitely going into the regular rotation all summer long. Think: homegrown cucumbers and tomatoes :).

This salad is loaded with veggies; juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, creamy avocado and the cilantro and lemon juice make the whole salad so fresh and flavorful!

Avocado Salad Video Tutorial:​

Watch how to make this delicious cucumber, avocado and tomato salad here.

Baklava Recipe​

This baklava is flaky, crisp, tender and perfectly balanced with honey-lemon syrup. This homemade baklava is so much better than any store-bought version.​

Healthy Recipes with Canned Beans​

Use them as inspiration to build on and adjust based on the ingredients you have on hand.​

Beans are the epitome of a well-stocked pantry and I’m going to share below 16 healthy bean recipes. You can make these recipes using the canned beans probably already sitting in your pantry. Full of plant-based protein and fiber, beans fit into vegan, vegetarian, or flexitarian diets. Plus, canned beans boast calcium, folic acid, iron, and no cholesterol!

Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup Recipe​

This soup is packed with so much flavor with bites of tender chicken, rice noodles, cilantro, basil and lime juice. So cozy, comforting and fragrant – plus, it’s easy enough for any night of the week.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cold-Fighting Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe​

The most soothing, comforting, cozy soup for when you're not feeling great.​

Among the many food sensitivities (not quite as bad as allergies) my wife has is soy. So soy sauce, tamari, and even worcestershire sauce are some condiments I can't use when cooking something we both will eat. Fortunately fish sauce helps fill that umami flavor component in many recipes.

How do you use fish sauce?​

Oh, fish sauce, your varieties and uses are endless!
Of all the condiments that have been embraced by Americans over the past few years, perhaps the most beloved is fish sauce. Made from fermented small fish such as anchovies, fish sauce has been produced in Europe and Asia for thousands of years, but in more recent times, it’s become associated with southeast Asian cuisine, particularly Thai and Vietnamese.

The magical thing about fish sauce is that it has the power to make just about any dish taste better without becoming the dominant flavor. It’s the ultimate team player, something you always want to have with you in the kitchen. Here’s how the Takeout staff and some of our favorite chefs like to use it.

Easy Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe​

10000x better (and faster) than take-out. And the chicken is perfectly tender with the creamiest, most flavor-packed sauce.​

This is a really very good article, thanks for sharing it. I hope this week I will have time to try one of these recipes.

This is a really very good article, thanks for sharing it. I hope this week I will have time to try one of these recipes.
Glad you enjoy and find it useful. Wife and I use chickpeas/garbanzos often and many ways. A frequent is just tossing onto a green salad. Socca is another and there is a recipe earlier here on this thread. Socca being a flat bread of sorts made from chickpea flour. We often use it as a pizza crust.

Glad you enjoy and find it useful. Wife and I use chickpeas/garbanzos often and many ways. A frequent is just tossing onto a green salad. Socca is another and there is a recipe earlier here on this thread. Socca being a flat bread of sorts made from chickpea flour. We often use it as a pizza crust.
Post #27, page two of this thread is where I presented socca. Here's a repeat of the essential link;

Here's one closer to how I do it, baking in the oven;

Chicken Stir Fry with Rice Noodles Recipe​

A quick and easy stir fry recipe that comes together in 30 minutes, perfect for busy weeknights. Plus, it’s lighter and healthier than takeout.​

[With left over chicken in fridge, may be doing this one ^ tonight.]

The Best Healthy Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce​

Juicy, spicy, and so easy. Cook on the stove or grill.​

The Best Way to Cook Salmon​

After trying 5 different methods for cooking salmon, the winner is clear.​

(Last one shown - 'Brined and Pan-Seared' = 10/10 rating; is winner)

Time to deposit some more;

Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe​

This pasta tastes rich and creamy, and even has surprising notes of umami. It’s almost—and we are talking about Hamburger Helper here so I do not say this lightly—gourmet.​

[Note this following excerpt from the link that shares a few more related recipes;
"
We’ve tackled beef stroganoff in detail: one-pan Chicken Stroganoff, Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, and Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff are crowd faves.

Making this Hamburger Helper stroganoff, however, presented more of a challenge. "]

The Absolute Best Way to Cook a Hot Dog, According to So Many Tests​

Spiral-cut? Boiled in beer? Microwaved? Columnist Ella Quittner sets out to find the ultimate hot dog.

The Best Hard-Boiled Egg Method​

Seven different methods, side by side. The winner is clear.​

And a very useful tip, especially since we go through some tea bags doing home-made kombucha,

Stop Throwing Out Your Used Tea Bags​

They’re surprising useful. Here are 12 things they can do post-brew.​

Chicken Madeira (Cheesecake Factory Copycat) Recipe​

Juicy chicken and mushrooms in a madeira cream sauce under melty cheese and asparagus. This copycat chicken madeira recipe is easy and so good.

Forum List

Back