Recipes Central - Repository of Favorites

How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time​

This method takes trust; you can’t check the chicken breasts or watch them cooking. But you won’t have to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Sheet Pan Cauliflower Nachos​

Healthier, heartier and so stinking good.

A couple more;

The Secret to Better Home Fries? Cook Them Like the French Do​

How to make pommes persillade (potatoes with parsley and garlic).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

This Is the Pad Thai Recipe You Need for Your Better-Than-Takeout Repertoire​

This one will blow “meh” takeout and frozen entrees out of the water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was planning to do this for dinner tonight but a meeting may mean a push out to tomorrow. Will add some andouille sausage, and use black or red rice.

Shrimp and Catfish Gumbo​

More click bait downloads here;
About 42 here;

Best-ever barbecue recipes too good to miss​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About 20 of these;

World Sauces that will Take Your Cooking to Another Level​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Generic ingredient advice ...

A dietitian says this is the 'power nutrient' she eats for a longer, healthier life—but 95% of Americans lack in their diet​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's for breakfast?
@ 26 ideas here;

Easy breakfast casseroles to start your morning right​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you've wondered;

Here’s What Those Colored Circles on Food Packages Actually Mean​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inserting animal gene made potato and rice crops 50 percent bigger​

My wife can't eat regular spuds (food sensitivity issues) so we do a lot of sweet potato instead;

The One Major Effect of Eating Sweet Potatoes​

"Sweet potatoes are extremely high in beta carotene, which is the same nutrient in carrots that give them the orange color," says Byrd. "Beta carotene is converted into Vitamin A in our bodies, and used for vision, but also boosts our immune system! Vitamin A plays an important role in increasing our body's immune response to certain pathogens, helping to keep us healthy and free from infection."

While my chicken is resting post-roast, I tip the pan, letting the schmaltz and pan juices run into a spouted measuring cup, which I keep by the stove until I’m ready to use it. To make this dressing without roasting a chicken first, take ¼ cup schmaltz (I keep a stash in the fridge) and bring it up to temperature in a sauté pan before drizzling it into the other ingredients.

This dressing is versatile. I usually use apple cider vinegar, but another vinegar or even lemon juice would work beautifully. To add brightness, I throw in chopped herbs from the garden, usually chives and basil, but parsley, tarragon, or oregano are all welcome to join the party. A warm schmaltz vinaigrette can stand up to hearty greens like escarole or even kale, but there’s no need to shy away from the heat when you’re working with lettuces like romaine or arugula. All benefit from a light toss in the good stuff.

Ingredients
  • ½ shallot, minced
  • 1 tbsp chives, minced
  • 1 tbsp basil, chiffonade
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ tsp Dijon mustard
  • ¼ cup schmaltz, warm
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. In a small metal mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. While whisking, pour in the schmaltz in a thin, steady stream. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Use promptly.

How To Cook (and Shred) a Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork​

From choosing the meat to transforming it into a fork-tender meal that can last all week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

How to Make Miles Davis’s Famous Chili Recipe​

One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century was also pretty handy in the kitchen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

This Buttery British Shortbread Is Our New Favorite 5-Ingredient Treat​

Mary Berry comes through again, with a five-ingredient recipe that you can throw together in minutes.

Not exactly recipes here, more along lines of helpful household tips, etc. (pending a thread more focused to this subject);

The Science Behind Your Cheap Wine​

How advances in bottling, fermenting and taste-testing are democratizing a once-opaque liquid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Why are vinegar and baking soda so good for cleaning?​

It's basic (and acidic too).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 Shower Products That Are Ruining Your Pipes, According to Plumbers​

What to skip, what’s safe, and how to fix any problems that do pop up.

Back to cooking ...
This one is mostly rough draft ideas, not exact recipes;

23 Healthy Breakfast Ideas That Serve One​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sardinian Flatbreads with Parmigiano, Coppa, and Chiles (Carta di Musica) Recipe​

Delicious with any antipasto, and also a blank canvas on which to bake cheeses, cured meats, or other toppings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

11 secret ingredients that will transform your cooking​

Some tips and recipes to deposit;

Essential spices that should be in everyone's kitchen​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12 Scallop Recipes in 20 Minutes​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Epicurious

Our 17 Most Popular Recipes of July 2021​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Mexican to Chinese: favorite takeouts to make at home​

Favorite fakeouts​

Whether you've not had time to cook or fancy a special treat, there's just nothing like a takeout dinner. And although many takeout spots have started delivering again, we've trawled through our recipe archive to bring you incredible 'fakeout' recipes to make at home. From chicken burgers and rice bowls to burritos and pizza, there's something for everyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I worked at Trader Joe's for almost 3 years. Here are 12 things I always buy there.​

For Beautifully Cooked Steak, Take it Low and Slow in the Oven​

The time you put in is worth it, especially if pan-frying has let you down before.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

How to Reheat Fried Chicken So It Tastes Amazing​

Avoid soggy or overcooked leftovers.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything You Need to Know About the True Origins of the Everything Bagel​

There’s a lot of history in every bite.

Last edited:

Why Menu Translations Go Terribly Wrong​

Toward a grand unified theory of hilarious and odd foreign-language menus.​

A supplemental article;

The Secret Tricks Hidden Inside Restaurant Menus​

Great thought and effort go into creating restaurant menus – and there are some very powerful psychological tricks employed to make you choose.

This is American biscuits, not English "biscuits" which are actually what we call cookies. These may be too savory to cover with sausage gravy, but pairs a great combo of ingredients.

Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuit Recipe​

Loaded with crispy bacon bits, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and chives. The biscuits come out perfectly flaky and buttery every time.

Just stumbled across this and with the zucchini started to pop in the garden ...

Recipe: Creamy Zucchini Fettuccine​

More culinary items;

‘It could feed the world’: amaranth, a health trend 8,000 years old that survived colonization​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Future Space Travel Might Require Mushrooms​

Mycologist Paul Stamets discusses the potential extraterrestrial uses of fungi, including terraforming planets, building human habitats—and providing psilocybin therapy to astronauts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Lentil Soup Is So Good One Nurse Has Eaten It for Lunch Every Workday for 17 Years​

It’s bright, rich and hearty, and for Reid Branson of Seattle, that has been more than enough.

Here’s When You Should Eat Protein​

For optimal muscle gains, when you eat matters just as much as what you eat.​

EXCERPT:
Because protein is key to muscle building, most people focus on getting a quick hit right after a tough training session. While that’s important, the timing of when you eat the rest of your daily protein may matter just as much. Your body uses the nutrients from your meal or snack to build muscle for somewhere around four to five hours, says Brad Schoenfeld, assistant professor in exercise science at Lehman College. “That means that to stimulate muscle growth throughout the day, you should consume protein every four hours or so,” he says.

Schoenfeld recently reviewed the current literature and found that eating 1.6 to 2.2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight divided over four meals each day best supports muscle building. So you’re looking at about 24 grams of protein per meal for a 130-pound woman or 32 grams of protein per meal for a 175-pound man.

A couple quick slide shows and more ...

Secret Side Effects of Eating Beans, Says Science​

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drinking This Much Beer a Day Slashes Your Heart Disease Risk, Study Says​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bake sweet potatoes to perfection with these tips and tricks​

If you like your sweet potatoes golden brown and crispy, roasting them in the oven is the most effective cooking method. But with so many different baking techniques to choose from, it’s hard to decide which method is the quickest, easiest and tastiest.

August 9, 2021

Untangling Canada’s Food Facts and Fictions

Cookbook author Meredith Erickson has done her homeland justice with the exciting podcast series Field Guide to Eating in Canada.

Simply factoring in the maple syrup, progressive rock, and halibut by the boatloads, Canada—a country of nearly 40 million stretching along America’s northern border—has a lot to brag about. But bragging is hardly the Canadian way, especially when it comes to acknowledging a homegrown food culture that rarely gets the attention it deserves. “One realization I had over the last decade or so when speaking with Canadians is that we often reference American food personalities rather than our own,” says Meredith Erickson, a longtime cookbook author, skier, and proud Montrealer—who has released an enlightening and action-packed podcast series, Field Guide to Eating in Canada, in partnership with Audible.
What is the single biggest misconception about Canadian food?
That Canada has no food identity. That’s because, I suppose, we have few “national dishes,” which is similar, in a way, to the United States. You have the hamburger; we have poutine and butter tarts. Our identity is really tied to our regional products, and that’s where the gold is. I’m talking about oysters from Prince Edward Island; crab and lobster from Gaspé; blueberries from around Lac Saint-Jean; Ontario produce like apples, corn, rhubarb, and wheat from the prairies; viniculture in British Columbia; and more great seafood on the Pacific coast and Gulf Islands. So our identity is inherently woven together with the abundant diversity of products from province to province.

Forum List

Back