🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Recipes, Not Rockets: Cookbook Offers New Lens On Gaza

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
When you think about the Gaza Strip, do you think "organic farming"? How about "family dairy"? Would you expect California pistachios to flavor made-in-Gaza baklava? Have you heard that Hamas has a 10-year plan to develop sustainable local agriculture?

A new cookbook, The Gaza Kitchen, weaves little-known stories of Gaza food and farming among Palestinian home-cooking recipes. It highlights flavors particular to Gaza — both the crowded, skinny, famous strip of land pinned between Egypt, Israel and the Mediterranean, and the more extensive, southeastern Gaza District of historic Palestine that existed before the first major Arab-Israeli war in 1948.

NPR.org » Recipes, Not Rockets: Cookbook Offers New Lens On Gaza

Interesting article - and cook book - thanks for posting it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw28p_5DnQQ]Laila El-Haddad and Maggie Schmitt Prepare a Dagga Salad - YouTube[/ame]

When you think about the Gaza Strip, do you think "organic farming"? How about "family dairy"? Would you expect California pistachios to flavor made-in-Gaza baklava? Have you heard that Hamas has a 10-year plan to develop sustainable local agriculture?

A new cookbook, The Gaza Kitchen, weaves little-known stories of Gaza food and farming among Palestinian home-cooking recipes. It highlights flavors particular to Gaza — both the crowded, skinny, famous strip of land pinned between Egypt, Israel and the Mediterranean, and the more extensive, southeastern Gaza District of historic Palestine that existed before the first major Arab-Israeli war in 1948.

yeah, Hamass, farmers..........

too bad they're not known for that, (farmer farooq) instead, they're "world known terrorists."

too bad they're not known for that, (farmer farooq) instead, they're "world known terrorists."

You spend too much time with your face in Israeli propaganda.

"You spend too much time with your face in Israeli propaganda."

what's propaganda. Please, lets not play games here. Aren't we too old for that...it's too stupid and immature and a waste of time.

so, what's propaganda ? "HamasS" being labeled a 'terrorist organization" ??

"You spend too much time with your face in Israeli propaganda."

what's propaganda. Please, lets not play games here. Aren't we too old for that...it's too stupid and immature and a waste of time.

so, what's propaganda ? "HamasS" being labeled a 'terrorist organization" ??

It is.

Define terrorism.

This is not a thread about terrorism or propaganda. Any further attempts at derailment will be removed. If you can't discuss the topic, start a new thread and stop trashing this one.

This is not a thread about terrorism or propaganda. Any further attempts at derailment will be removed. If you can't discuss the topic, start a new thread and stop trashing this one.

Good idea Coyote----The thread is about "palestinian food" ---a subject which
interests even me. Did you view the video? if you did---can you tell me YOUR
thoughts on the "HISTORY OF FOODS PARTICULAR TO THE PALESTINIAN
CULTURE" as so far presented in this thread and in the video? I have an
interesting story relating to a famous person----one M. T. Mehdi----
who founded the forerunner of CAIR------he started his work circa 1960---
----I encountered him as an adolescent at the New York, World's Fair. He
ALSO had a special interest in that which he described as 'arab food'
M. T. Medhi was Iraqi

M. T. Medhi was Iraqi

I like Arab food - and, in general - international foods of all kinds. My mother introduced us to many many cuisines (she loves to cook) - alas she is a far better cook than I! She was involved, through her work, in a number of bilateral heart disease research programs with other countries: USSR, China, Poland, Israel, Pakistan and Japan and brought back all kinds of new receipes she tried. We also lived in India, when I was small child and they have a very rich and varied cuisine. There are a lot of similarities to Lebonese, Palestinian, Persian cooking - since they are in the same part of the world and similar cultures. There are also similarities to Israeli cuisine except that Israel's cuisine is heavily influenced by the diversity of it's immigrants and their exodus.

M. T. Medhi was Iraqi

I like Arab food - and, in general - international foods of all kinds. My mother introduced us to many many cuisines (she loves to cook) - alas she is a far better cook than I! She was involved, through her work, in a number of bilateral heart disease research programs with other countries: USSR, China, Poland, Israel, Pakistan and Japan and brought back all kinds of new receipes she tried. We also lived in India, when I was small child and they have a very rich and varied cuisine. There are a lot of similarities to Lebonese, Palestinian, Persian cooking - since they are in the same part of the world and similar cultures. There are also similarities to Israeli cuisine except that Israel's cuisine is heavily influenced by the diversity of it's immigrants and their exodus.

speaking of food and cooking. my father liked to cook too. in the 80's, he ALWAYS made this delicious 'boiled-beef' dish. i always think of it - and haven't made it in a while. i always want to make it - but i have to get a certain pot to cook it in.

it delicious. cubed beef (i'd use rib-eye steak) carrots, potatoes, cabbage, bay leaf, S&P, ketchup.....must add heinz ketchup. he only made it in a pressure cooker. i CAN hear that soothing pressure-cooker sound coming from the kitchen. couldn't wait for the sound to stop....yum.

now i have to think twice about going to BUY one. am i going to be....put on some 'bought a pressure-cooker" list ?

can you %$#@ believe that ?

M. T. Medhi was Iraqi

I like Arab food - and, in general - international foods of all kinds. My mother introduced us to many many cuisines (she loves to cook) - alas she is a far better cook than I! She was involved, through her work, in a number of bilateral heart disease research programs with other countries: USSR, China, Poland, Israel, Pakistan and Japan and brought back all kinds
of new receipes she tried. We also lived in India, when I was small child and they have a very rich and varied cuisine. There are a lot of similarities to Lebonese, Palestinian, Persian cooking - since they are in the same part of the world and similar cultures. There are also similarities to Israeli cuisine except that Israel's cuisine is heavily influenced by the diversity of it's immigrants and their exodus.

GOOD!!! so you will understand what I will write. My house is a food-fusion
too. Because of the jobs I have held I came across lots of---Indians,
Iranians, Pakistanis, Arabs ----my own general background in
cuisine is -----american/ashkenazi with health food conscious mom and
wheat germ thrown in. My hubby was born in one of the most
backward shariah adherent countries in the world ---a member of
a jewish community that was in those hills probably since 3000 years
ago. -----in fact they were---in past times heavy into the INDIAN
SPICE ROUTE---which is probably why they were there at first.

I have learned lots about cuisine and NATIONALISM ----at the risk of
annoying you----I considered the video to be an example of
historical revisionism based in the ARABIST MOVEMENT aka
BAATHISM (nasser, assad, saddam) M. T Mehdi---was a
sadaam appointee-----sent to the US to spread the "ARABIST
WORD" He was very big on the idea of ANCIENT ARABIC
CULTURE ----the eternal wonderland of bliss. -----

the interesting story>>>> I remembered him from the
wrorld's fair ---1964---we conversed a bit---I was a kid.
About ten years later----I heard a VITUPERATIVE RANT
which was broadcast on radio----about---"PITA" Mehdi
was vehemently objecting to the exitence of Israeli ex-pat
owners of FELAFEL JOINTS----in New York City. I
considered the rant silly. He repeated over and over again
in a thick arabic accent "PBITA IS ARRRAAABBB"

Fast forward----to now---My hubby,, as I mentioned,, from an
ancient up in the hills land---now entirely muslim---one of the
first to be invaded by arabs during the GLORIOUS AGE
OF ISLAMIC CONQUEST. As such his very early education was
VERY VERY TRADITIONAL----he got to start memorizing the bible
at age three---and got into the talmud by age seven----before
getting out of that sort of thing by age nine or ten. The good news
is that his knowlege of hebrew is excellent----since the even modern
hebrew is --essentially biblical hebrew. The "PBITTAAA IS ARRABB"
thing hit my mind recently so I asked "Pita does not seem like
a hebrew word to me----when does it show up in thel literature"?

He said "in the talmud" (oh gee---ok aramaic)----
Me>>> "what does it actually mean"?
He>>> "something like "little PAAT" it implies a "disk"
Me>>> "PAAT" ???
He>>> "a very old word for 'bread' it is in the bible"
Me (thinking) ((( paat? like CHAPAATI? like PAN? --some
sort of latin thing for bread

so I googled pita is actually found in GREEK ---way back when
greeks were greeks The Pita making technique is more than
five thousands years old----SLAMMING THE DOUGH ON A HOT
ROCK ----or clay tandoor thing (which is precisely how hubby's
mom made it even in Israel)------it was all over asia, north africa
and europe------and one thing it AIN't-----is ARRRAAAABBBBB--
at least not in its origin -----I would credit the indians who also
invented ZERO

cuisine is very very interesting----I noted in the video---the idea
that DILL is very important in "PALESTINIAN CUISINE"----does
that date back to Jesus of nazareth? also tomatoes and
red peppers (entirely american in origin) and avocados---also
american and introduced to Israel by jews.

bad news for Jesus the palestinian. no tomatoes---no red
peppers ----no avocados in HIS palestinian cuisine-----and dill
is northern european-----my hubby calls it
"THE ASHKENAZI HERB"

Interesting post Rosie - you have a varied and fascinating food repetoire! I actually love Indian cooking and especially their breads. I think almost every culture has some version of flat breads in their cuisine.

What I find interesting is how many things we assume are part of a traditional cuisine are actually imports from other regions. Many countries have incorporated New World foods as staples of their national cuisine such as corn and potatos. I bet Israel's cuisine is very rich given the diversity of it's heritage. Studying food is a good way to study immigration patterns and ancient trade.

Dill - love it! Garlic - a basic necessity!

M. T. Medhi was Iraqi

speaking of food and cooking. my father liked to cook too. in the 80's, he ALWAYS made this delicious 'boiled-beef' dish. i always think of it - and haven't made it in a while. i always want to make it - but i have to get a certain pot to cook it in.

it delicious. cubed beef (i'd use rib-eye steak) carrots, potatoes, cabbage, bay leaf, S&P, ketchup.....must add heinz ketchup. he only made it in a pressure cooker. i CAN hear that soothing pressure-cooker sound coming from the kitchen. couldn't wait for the sound to stop....yum.

now i have to think twice about going to BUY one. am i going to be....put on some 'bought a pressure-cooker" list ?

can you %$#@ believe that ?

mmm...sounds good....

(they're watching you now!)

This is one of my favorites...a lentil soup

lentilsoup2.jpg

lentilsoup2.jpg

That is the stuff----that Jacob cooked up ----to feed ESAU. -----I do "dhal"---favoring
the "masoor" stuff----the tiny red things. --because it cooks up so
quickly-------jars of the stuff in the fridge at all times-----"he" cannot
live without it-----never leave out the turmeric------it is a very strong antioxident--
for salvage of your neurons and it even acts as a nice safe preservative of the
soup itself

lentilsoup2.jpg

That is the stuff----that Jacob cooked up ----to feed ESAU. -----I do "dhal"---favoring
the "masoor" stuff----the tiny red things. --because it cooks up so
quickly-------jars of the stuff in the fridge at all times-----"he" cannot
live without it-----never leave out the turmeric------it is a very strong antioxident--
for salvage of your neurons and it even acts as a nice safe preservative of the
soup itself

I've made dhal with the red lentils (is that masoor?) - I love it, especially with nan. I have a reciepe for nan but have yet to try it :)

Have you ever had Osh? I had it at a Persian restaraunt that also sold receipe books - I fell in love with it and brought home the book :)

60125604.jpg

On my mother's side, my grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch and my grandfather was born in Germany so my diet was considerably different.

It sure was good though.

OK, since we're on the topic of food, how about this: Palestinian food...and music, dress, language, etc. is very much the same as all 22 Arab countries. Can I post topics of Israeli culture?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back