Red flag laws

The next time a gun prohibitionist says we need red flag laws tell them all 50 states already have them
And yet no one used the New York red flag law to stop the Buffalo shooter.

"Take the guns first. Go through due process second, I like taking the guns early." - Donald J. Trump

California has one of the most expansive red-flag laws in the country, allowing anyone to petition for a court order to take guns from a high-risk individual. There is concrete data to show it is effective: One case study from 2019 found that the law averted at least 21 potential mass shootings, based on credible threats.

[snip]

One study from Indiana found that for every 10 to 20 gun-removal orders, one suicide was averted. Another study found Indiana saw a 7.5 percent reduction in its firearm suicides rate in the 10 years after its red-flag law became took effect. Connecticut, in the same study, saw its rate fall 14 percent.

These laws won’t catch every mass shooter or prevent every suicide. They are fundamentally limited by how many people know to use them. But implemented properly, they could do some real good. A 2019 analysis from the U.S. Secret Service found that in 77 percent of school shootings, at least one person knew of the perpetrator’s troubling behavior before the attack.

And he back off that position just about as fast as he said it.
Whenever Trump's true inner New York limousine liberal breaks through, his handlers quickly correct him. Just like when he said he was pro-choice, and then he had to correct himself, but then he still revealed he had no clue what actual pro-lifers think and had to course correct again the next day.

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun." - Donald Trump,The America We Deserve

In an exchange during a meeting of a bipartisan group of senators at the White House, Trump asked Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Toomey if their background check bill they authored in the aftermath of a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 included a provision that would have raised the age at which individuals could purchase rifles from 18 to 21.

Toomey said it did not.

“You know why? Because you’re afraid of the NRA,” Trump said.

That was four years ago. Several mass shootings could have been prevented.

Whenever Trump's true inner New York limousine liberal breaks through, his handlers quickly correct him. Just like when he said he was pro-choice, and then he had to correct himself, but then he still revealed he had no clue what actual pro-lifers think and had to course correct again the next day.

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun." - Donald Trump,The America We Deserve
He spoke out of emotion. But backed off

AS PRESIDENT, Trump asked the Republicans if they included a provision to raise the age from 18 to 21 to purchase a gun in their proposed gun law.

The Republicans replied they had not.

Trump said that was because they were afraid of the NRA.

Trump clearly is in favor of stronger gun control.

Forum List

Back