Red Letter Christianity divergence....Chuckt

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYNIx3Pv1q0]Is the emerging church dangerous? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VUL6rNHwCms]Not Emerging - YouTube[/ame]

There are four streams of the Emergent Church and one of them is heretical.

actually I think there are thousands of streams.....for one thing, it is anathema to capitalize it.....Emergent Church.....the whole concept behind the emergent church is to free religion from modernism, including modernism's tendency to turn everything into absolutes that need capitalization.....

now, what is the heresy you see in one of the streams of the emergent church?.....

I was tempted to post videos of Emergent heresy but I don't feel motivated to do so because some will become confused. I spent a while trying to correct the errors.

I had a stepsister who would listen to the false teachers on the Bible Answer Man and tune the pastors out who were correcting them. People in the forum could do the same thing.

apart from being more politically divergent, do the Red Letter Christians really have untenable doctrines?

I'm not exactly certain what a "red letter Christian" is but if it means a Christian who takes the literal Words of Christ literally and personally then I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that.

I don't think it would be wise to take only the red letters of the Bible to heart and cast away the rest of the Bible. I believe the "black letter" writings of Paul are an extremely important aspect of the New Testament and should be considered inspired by the Holy Spirit. (Along with the writings of John, Peter, Jude, and all others).

I would probably consider myself a "New Testament" Christian before describing myself as a "red letter" Christian. However, great wisdom and lessons are to be found in the Old Testament and I believe Christians should embrace the entire Bible -- the Whole Testament.

MAybe the red highlights on the words spoken by Christ in the NT?

So basically focusing solely on what Christ said in the Gospels and ignoring what God says everywhere else?

Sincerely information seeking question:

Where do christ's words come from?
Where are they written?

Hebrews 10:7 Then I said, 'Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll-- I have come to do your will, my God.'"

MAybe the red highlights on the words spoken by Christ in the NT?

So basically focusing solely on what Christ said in the Gospels and ignoring what God says everywhere else?

Sincerely information seeking question:

Where do christ's words come from?
Where are they written?

The entire Bible was written by holy men of God as they were led by the Holy Spirit. The entire Bible is the inspired Word of God.

Of course, if you reject God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit then what I just said will make no sense whatsoever.

apart from being more politically divergent, do the Red Letter Christians really have untenable doctrines?

I'm not exactly certain what a "red letter Christian" is but if it means a Christian who takes the literal Words of Christ literally and personally then I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that.

I don't think it would be wise to take only the red letters of the Bible to heart and cast away the rest of the Bible. I believe the "black letter" writings of Paul are an extremely important aspect of the New Testament and should be considered inspired by the Holy Spirit. (Along with the writings of John, Peter, Jude, and all others).

I would probably consider myself a "New Testament" Christian before describing myself as a "red letter" Christian. However, great wisdom and lessons are to be found in the Old Testament and I believe Christians should embrace the entire Bible -- the Whole Testament.

No. These are cut and paste Christians.
They follow the verses they want and ignore the verses they don't want using human reasoning.
They have the appearance of following the word but they aren't.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

No. These are cut and paste Christians.
They follow the verses they want and ignore the verses they don't want using human reasoning.
They have the appearance of following the word but they aren't.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Basically "new age Christians?"

Deuteronomy 4:2, "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

Deuteronomy 12:32, "What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."

Proverbs 30:5-6, "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Galatians 1:8, "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

Revelation 22:18-19, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Having seen the video clips above I can say without a doubt that "the emerging church" idea IS dangerous. The "Church" of Jesus Christ has been around since the time of Christ. It "emerged" at that time. The tenets of Christ's gospel are the same today as they were then.

ChuckT, Drifting Sand - thanks for answering but those aren't words written by christ/god. The "holy men" who wrote those words were just common, ordinary people until believers decided to call them "holy".

I remember the news articles where Rick Warren told the church to change or die. Why would that be?
as I recall it was because he thought the church was headed in the wrong direction.....

I remember my grandmothers and they basically talked about the days before television and radio. There wasn't an abundance of books. What did people read by candlelight? They read the Bible.

My grandmother came from an era where they didn't have rock star concerts. How much are concert tickets today? And people can't throw that in the offering plate. Is it an idol? I think they are.

She came through the depression where people didn't have food to eat and I think the big complaint back then was that people weren't thankful.

There was a day and it might have stopped in the 40's and 50's but people basically memorized their Bible.

aren't these the very things the emergent church is concerned about?....

They're saying that you have to become relevant to bring people to Jesus.
and you think relevancy is a bad thing?......

So this is an abandoning of Christianity in favor of postmodernism

uh, postmodernism isn't about abandoning Christianity......its about abandoning modernism.....modernism has nothing to do with Christianity......

The basis for this is that Church is no longer for Christians but it is now tailored for the non-Christian. Why? Because the way we have done things are deemed unworthy.

and many of them were....I grew up in a church in which, if it was 9:07 you KNEW the preacher was going to open up the red hymnal and sing.....if it was 9:12 you KNEW he was going to read the ten commandments......and if the sermon didn't have three points and lasted longer than 31 minutes he was going to get an earful......

it was also a denomination in which hundreds of congregations with 200,000 members might record ten adult baptisms a year.....people did not convert to that form of Christianity because it wasn't their tradition.....they didn't understand it, they didn't like it.....they were blocked from the Word by the Actions.....

the church wasn't communicating the gospel to unbelievers......it was just spinning wheels for the existing members.....

they now show movies in church and you are now the merchandise. That is why megachurches are spending more money on themselves and less on evangelism.
they have BECOME the evangelism.......they spend money on movies because people come to see the movies......the movies communicate.....reading the ten commandments every Sunday at 9:12 in the same monotonous voice did not communicate....

One large mega church pastor tells people to tell others their story. I say, "good emotional story" but it is worthless because it is not the gospel and it doesn't tell people how to get saved and people are forgetting what it means to be Christian because there is no discipline because they don't teach.

sort of like parables, you mean?....

there isn't a pastor there to help them with Biblical teaching.
why do you think emerging churches don't have pastors?.....

They don't want you to know who committed suicide in their church so they don't talk about it

are you sure it wasn't done to protect the privacy of the family?.....

The problem is that everybody has a different take on what that is. They all believe they're right.

That would include DriftingSand AND Iceweasel. However, there is only ONE truth. There is only one way that the Universe came to exist. There is only one way that life began. There may be a zillion opinions but the only correct opinion is the one that is in line with the truth.

So you and I get to ask ourselves if we think we're more right than everyone else. If we're not sure then perhaps we can get on our knees before God and pray for His wisdom and His truth. The truth shall set us free.

lol dude.....you say you don't like the emergent church because one of the lanes is heresy......did you notice all four lanes were "emergent" and he liked three of them?......the one he didn't like was "emergent liberals"......

the problem isn't that they were emergent......the problem was they were liberals......

so don't condemn the emergent church....condemn the liberal church.....

That's the beauty of religion. It can be anything you want it to be.

And maybe it isn't what God wants it to be.

What does God want?

Just to be sure we're on the same page... we are talking about The God of Abraham, as first described in The Torah, and then later in The New Testament and The Koran, eh?

Almost right. The God of Abraham is the God of Adam and the God of Noah and the God of Moses and the God of David and Solomon and the Apostles and you and me. He's the one described in the Bible. The one described in the Koran is an altogether different God for each book describes a different God. The God of the Bible is Christ. The Koran says that Christ is only a prophet.

The church has existed since the time of Christ and has been handed down or maintained through the ages. What's happening today isn't an "emerging" church but a "great falling away" from the church. What IS emerging is a New Age philosophy posing as a religious authority. It's "another Christ" and "another Gospel."

2 Corinthians 11:4, "For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him."

Beware!!

1 Peter 5:8, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back