Red Robin is Cutting 570 Jobs. Can You Guess Why?

My local McDonald's has gone from 12 employees and one manager on staff for mornings down to 6... three cooks and three counter and drive up personnel and one manager... they added two new positions but they are order kiosks...6 hard working college students lost their job due to ridiculous minimum wage hikes... Once again a bunch of idiot do gooders doing great harm to make themselves feel good...hey libs!!!!! stop trying to help people you don't know what the hell you are doing!!!!

Automation is going to replace between 28-35% of jobs in the next 10 or so years. You can rail on about it being a minimum wage hike all you want. The truth is you can not stop automaton.

Correct, you cannot stop it, but you can slow it down.

When businesses have to make a decision, it's based on long-term profitability. Automation is expensive, but the question is it more or less expensive than human labor?

When a company finds that humans are more expensive than the investment and maintenance of machines, they buy the machines.

The technology has become far more affordable and reliable over just the last 5 years. It is inevitable.

I worked for 2 dollars an hour painting houses for my uncle...wow things have changed fast...

I worked all summer in Florida roofing back between the Jr and Sr year in High school for 90 cents an hour. That experience had more to do with my decision to go to college than anything.

then you should know how badly workers are paid for backbreaking work.

and not for nothing, wait staff are paid about $2 and change an hour and have no paid sick leave. so we have to supplement the owner's income by paying his workers with tips and worry about having sick people prepare/serve our food because they can't afford to take off work.

oh... and my first job was as a cashier in Waldbaums while I was in high school.

If you are unhappy in the job you have and that amount of money you are paid then you should do like I did and get another job. In my case I went to college and became an engineer and made 100 times an hour than what I made that summer as a roofer and I got to work in an AC office most of the time.

The last thing we need is for the filthy ass government to get involved in the labor market and require an employer to pay more money than the labor market can sustain. That is when we get workers being laid off because the cost of labor is too high.

The government needs to stay out of our lives. They mostly fuck things up. Liberals would be a lot smarter if they understood that.

We learned that unobstructed capitalism victimized workers.

But you don’t want government out of our lives. You want it to tell me I have to be an incubator.

I want government to keep chemicals out of my water and air. And lead out of my apartment’s paint and out of children’s toys. The fantasy that government should be out of our lives is childish and silly. Petulant.

And no if the only jobs are in sweat shops you can’t leave. What a silly thing to say.

Earth to Jillian the year is 2017 not 1965.

Don't blow it bro - she may stop the free love for asking deal....

:smoke:

Last edited:
Headlines like this don’t tell the whole story. Being in the restaurant business I can tell you, the prepared food eat out business is so over saturated it is ridiculous. Tallahassee has the largest percentage of working women of any city in the country, ergo they should have the most places to eat out and everyone thinks they have to plant the flag here. This headline has nothing to do,with the economy and everything to do with an industry that is too crowded. Their hamburgers were way overpriced anyway.

I worked for 2 dollars an hour painting houses for my uncle...wow things have changed fast...

I worked all summer in Florida roofing back between the Jr and Sr year in High school for 90 cents an hour. That experience had more to do with my decision to go to college than anything.

and not for nothing, wait staff are paid about $2 and change an hour and have no paid sick leave. so we have to supplement the owner's income by paying his workers with tips and worry about having sick people prepare/serve our food because they can't afford to take off work.

oh... and my first job was as a cashier in Waldbaums while I was in high school.

If you are unhappy in the job you have and that amount of money you are paid then you should do like I did and get another job. In my case I went to college and became an engineer and made 100 times an hour than what I made that summer as a roofer and I got to work in an AC office most of the time.

The last thing we need is for the filthy ass government to get involved in the labor market and require an employer to pay more money than the labor market can sustain. That is when we get workers being laid off because the cost of labor is too high.

The government needs to stay out of our lives. They mostly fuck things up. Liberals would be a lot smarter if they understood that.

But you don’t want government out of our lives. You want it to tell me I have to be an incubator.

I want government to keep chemicals out of my water and air. And lead out of my apartment’s paint and out of children’s toys. The fantasy that government should be out of our lives is childish and silly. Petulant.

And no if the only jobs are in sweat shops you can’t leave. What a silly thing to say.
Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

So the 40% tax cut did not help them cover that min wage hike in a few areas, 10 times over?
Finally, a clear admission that you don't know shit about economics or laws!
How so, explain yourself, please! :)

I wonder if Jillian still thinks leaded gas is still sold at the gas station ?

carnival-costumes-hippy-shirt.jpg

Never been to one.

Unlimited steak fries I think.

About 20 year ago Red Robin was a fairly decent place to eat. Nowadays it is mediocre at best. They specialize in burgers but you can get a better burger at places like Chilis, Ruby Tuesday or anyone of several other similar chain restaurants.

I suspect they are marginally making it and the additional cost of labor is the last straw.

My local McDonald's has gone from 12 employees and one manager on staff for mornings down to 6... three cooks and three counter and drive up personnel and one manager... they added two new positions but they are order kiosks...6 hard working college students lost their job due to ridiculous minimum wage hikes... Once again a bunch of idiot do gooders doing great harm to make themselves feel good...hey libs!!!!! stop trying to help people you don't know what the hell you are doing!!!!

Automation is going to replace between 28-35% of jobs in the next 10 or so years. You can rail on about it being a minimum wage hike all you want. The truth is you can not stop automaton.

Correct, you cannot stop it, but you can slow it down.

When businesses have to make a decision, it's based on long-term profitability. Automation is expensive, but the question is it more or less expensive than human labor?

When a company finds that humans are more expensive than the investment and maintenance of machines, they buy the machines.

Then there is the employment of those who design, build, install, and maintain the automation....that is new employment that seems lost on trying to save the buggy whip manufacturers of the 21st century.

People are PAID their value. The talent of flipping burgers is not very marketable because ALMOST anyone above room temperature can flip a burger.

Brain surgeons make alot of money because not everyone can perform brain surgery.

it's supply and demand...an economic absolute.

Nobody here has ever argued that somebody flipping burgers deserves to make what a surgeon makes, that's just a fucking lie. But minimum wage has not even come close to keeping up with COL since way back in the Raygun era. I know you feel most people should make only $5.00/hr, because these businesses need more breaks. Fact is they have had it well since the 80's. Wages for the working class have stagnated badly.

Wait a minute...................I thought that these Trump tax cuts were going to increase wages and create more jobs. What is wrong with Red Robin? Can it be that they have a crappy business model and their food sucks?

Besides.................not all burger corporations are greedy fuckers. In n Out Burger pays their managers 160,000/yr and they start wages for their workers at 13.00/hr.

And, they also provide medical, dental and vision.

If they can do it and still turn a profit, why can't places like Red Robin and McDonalds follow suit and pay their people a living wage?

In-N-Out Burger reveals managers make $160k on average

In-N-Out revealed the salary of its managers in a recent interview with the California Sun.

According to the report the fast food restaurant pays its restaurant managers on average more than $160,000, which is more than triple the fast food industry average.

Workers at the family-owned chain begin at $13 per hour, which is $2.50 above California's current minimum wage. Employees can work their way up to get the coveted manager's salary, and a college degree is not necessary.

Benefits also include health insurance, vision, 401K and dental plans.

Minimum wage so called jobs aren't really jobs and workers should expect low pay and owners should expect very little to zero productivity from workers.

[QU

Nobody here has ever argued that somebody flipping burgers deserves to make what a surgeon makes, that's just a fucking lie. But minimum wage has not even come close to keeping up with COL since way back in the Raygun era. I know you feel most people should make only $5.00/hr, because these businesses need more breaks. Fact is they have had it well since the 80's. Wages for the working class have stagnated badly.

Wages need to be determined between an employer and an employee. The last thing we need is some filthy ass government asshole dictating what wages should be. All that does is fuck up the labor market and result in layoffs, failed businesses, technology improvement to circumvent labor or higher prices.

If you go to a restaurant and you don't think your sever is getting enough money then all you have to do is tip he/she higher. If you think the kitchen staff isn't getting paid enough then leave money for them. Problem solved. We don't need the government to force the business to pay more than prevailing labor market rates.

View attachment 174290

no. I'm much smarter than you are. but in cities... where we have actual apartments, some of them are pre-war.... and there is lead paint the has to be remediated.

too dumb to know that huh?

not quite sure what the idiot attachment is for. I'm a capitalist,. I worked for everything I have. I'm just not an asshole like trumptards. oh, and unlike you, I'm too young to have been a hippie. but thanks for your usual useless drivel.

Wait a minute...................I thought that these Trump tax cuts were going to increase wages and create more jobs. What is wrong with Red Robin? Can it be that they have a crappy business model and their food sucks?

Besides.................not all burger corporations are greedy fuckers. In n Out Burger pays their managers 160,000/yr and they start wages for their workers at 13.00/hr.

And, they also provide medical, dental and vision.

If they can do it and still turn a profit, why can't places like Red Robin and McDonalds follow suit and pay their people a living wage?

In-N-Out Burger reveals managers make $160k on average

In-N-Out revealed the salary of its managers in a recent interview with the California Sun.

According to the report the fast food restaurant pays its restaurant managers on average more than $160,000, which is more than triple the fast food industry average.

Workers at the family-owned chain begin at $13 per hour, which is $2.50 above California's current minimum wage. Employees can work their way up to get the coveted manager's salary, and a college degree is not necessary.

Benefits also include health insurance, vision, 401K and dental plans.

A bunch of liberals run Red Robin.

Red Robin is eliminating bussers at 570 of its locations due to states' hikes in the minimum wage.

"Despite what many people, including policymakers, would argue, this is an altogether painfully predictable response to increased labor costs. It’s basic economics. The “first law of demand” teaches us that when the price of a good or service increases, people will tend to buy fewer units. Conversely, when the price of a good or service decreases, people will tend to buy more. This idea is usually presented no later than chapter 3 in any econ 101 textbook.

"Labor is no exception to this rule. If the cost of employing workers increases, we’d expect companies to hire fewer workers and even to let some go ...

"While we may not like the idea of someone trying to live on $5 or even $7 an hour, we can likely all agree that earning a small wage is better than earning nothing at all due to unemployment. It’s easy to vilify restaurants and other companies when they respond to higher costs with layoffs. But it’s important to place the blame where it belongs. In this case, it’s bad policy—not incompetence, not corporate greed—that’s causing people to lose their jobs."

So the 40% tax cut did not help them cover that min wage hike in a few areas, 10 times over?
Finally, a clear admission that you don't know shit about economics or laws!
How so, explain yourself, please! :)

he doesn't. and can't.

Don't blow it bro - she my stop the free love for asking deal....

so anyone who knows you're fos, is all about "free love", trump troll?

sorry, even when I was single, morons didn't turn me on. you and it are SOL.

Minimum wage so called jobs aren't really jobs and workers should expect low pay and owners should expect very little to zero productivity from workers.

If a worker doesn't want to work for minimum wages then they should improve their skills and get a better paying job.

If an employers aren't getting work out of the employees then they should fire them and get other workers.

If they can't find decent workers at that wage rate then they should pay higher wages.

All that can happen without the filthy ass government getting involved.

Don't blow it bro - she my stop the free love for asking deal....

so anyone who knows you're fos, is all about "free love", trump troll?

sorry, even when I was single, morons didn't turn me on. you and it are SOL.

Get real Jildo; a couple glasses of cheap chablis and blammo hun

View attachment 174290

no. I'm much smarter than you are. but in cities... where we have actual apartments, some of them are pre-war.... and there is lead paint the has to be remediated.

not quite sure what the idiot attachment is for. I'm a capitalist,. I worked for everything I have. I'm just not an asshole like trumptards. oh, and unlike you, I'm too young to have been a hippie. but thanks for your usual useless drivel.

Say what? You telling me the apparments have not been redone pre world war II?

I remember guys removing asbestos all over the country in the 1980s ..

View attachment 174290

Say what? You telling me the apparments have not been redone pre world war II?

I remember guys removing asbestos all over the country in the 1980s ..

Hey, I can tell you that there are apartments in Amarillo that were built in the 40's and 50's that still have lead paint in them. Matter of fact, I lived in one, and the owner and I were talking about the apartment one day, and he said that he hated the fact he couldn't get on the HUD list for his places because they still had lead paint in places like the basement and crawlspace under the house.

Forum List

Back