Refugees find dizzying freedoms and unexpected dangers in Brazil

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
When you read the individual stories of these refugees, it makes you realize how lucky we are not to have to undergo something like they are.
Refugees find dizzying freedoms and unexpected dangers in Brazil

DEC. 29, 2015 | REPORTING FROM SAO PAULO, BRAZIL

BY CHRISTOPHER GOFFARD | PHOTOS BY RICK LOOMIS

Soon after she arrived, she began to feel conspicuous. On the street, on the bus, in the subway, people looked. They didn’t seem hostile, just puzzled. Even in Latin America’s biggest city, a woman in a headscarf stood out.

ADVERTISEMENT
“Everyone was staring, and I was feeling alone,” says Dana Balkhi, 27. “I felt like I was choking.”

She had come to Brazil by herself, an anomaly among unmarried Muslim women. In Syria, she had studied English literature at Damascus University and loved the novels of Jane Austen.

After a missile hit her house, she fled to Turkey with her sister, but couldn’t find work there.

Canada said no, then Sweden said no, and in the winter of 2013, she faced a choice. She could return home, as her sister did, even as civil war obliterated the country. Or she could try Brazil, which was handing out fast, low-hassle “humanitarian visas” to Syrians escaping the carnage.

She went on Google and typed: Sao Paulo Arabic community helping refugees, and found some Brazilian-based Muslims who offered to help.

Who would she be coming with? they wanted to know.

Just me, she said.

They picked her up at the airport in December 2013 and gave her a bed. She learned to brace herself for the questions, when local Muslims discovered she was on her own.

Continue reading at:

http://graphics.latimes.com/syria-to-brazil/#nt=outfit

Very elucidating story. Thanks for posting it.

Interesting study of cultural crossroading. If there's one place noted for that it would be Brazil. Ideally some synthesis of the two emerges and creates another new cultural offspring.

Well, don't wear a frigging headscarf FFS. And convert to Christianity or become an atheist. Islam is a screwed up religion. Not compatible with Brazilian society.

Well, don't wear a frigging headscarf FFS. And convert to Christianity or become an atheist. Islam is a screwed up religion. Not compatible with Brazilian society.

And how is that?
Brazil's been practicing multiculturalism for five hundred years....

then they should go back home. fight for their freedoms there instead of expecting everyone to take care of them.

What happened to your defence and support of Islamic atrocities and mass murders, or is this only when the Jews are involved

Someone sounds like they have had too many. Mr. Saleem or Haniya, (whichever one of you two is posting now) could you please wish your Facebook pal with the screen name of Happily Married Muslim Couple a Happy New Years from me. I am sure she is a lovely Muslim woman wherever she might reside.

You are out of your mind Sally. But, you are hilarious with your vibrant imagination.

Forum List

Back