Zone1 Religion is not needed if a "golden rule" is valued

I have no idea why atheists believe there should be no consequences to their conduct on earth when there are consequences to every other aspect of life. Natural consequences are never sugar coated and sometimes brutal, yet atheists think God should be like some new age permissive leftwing mom where anything goes.

Not an atheist.

And why would I want to worship a god who is petty, jealous, vindictive and cruel who tell me not to be those very things?

Your god sure isn't a very good example to follow.

A human life is naught but less than the blink of an eye to an immortal. Would you be so offended by what a mayfly did to you that you would lay waste to entire populations for your revenge?

Granted by other people by agreement and that authority can be rescinded if abused.

This not any analogy that relates to any gods
Yet you cannot escape the reality that others can have authority you do not and can therefore do things you cannot. Can ants stop you from stepping on an ant hill? No. Would it make a difference if the ants were really, really upset about it and complained amongst themselves about how unfair it was because their moral code doesn't allow individual ants to kill other ants for misbehaving? Nope.

Not an atheist.

And why would I want to worship a god who is petty, jealous, vindictive and cruel who tell me not to be those very things?

A human life is naught but less than the blink of an eye to an immortal. Would you be so offended by what a mayfly did to you that you would lay waste to entire populations for your revenge?
And you're again ignoring the pain and suffering wrought by the evil actions of mankind. A just God, even one with the patience and grace that God has, will bring judgement. And, notice as well, that when He does bring judgement, He preserves the righteous. So, there's no petty, jealous, vindictive or cruel anything to complain about.

atheists think God should be like some new age permissive leftwing mom where anything goes.
Atheists (and agnostics) lack belief in gods by definition. For mewling "God is Love" pap go bother true believers like Meriweather.

Last edited:
Yet you cannot escape the reality that others can have authority you do not and can therefore do things you cannot. Can ants stop you from stepping on an ant hill? No. Would it make a difference if the ants were really, really upset about it and complained amongst themselves about how unfair it was because their moral code doesn't allow individual ants to kill other ants for misbehaving? Nope.
Totally unrelated to religion and gods. And the vast majority of people will never have any interaction with the legal system in this country

There is no analogy to people agreeing to certain societal laws and how they are enforced to any gods.

Last edited:
And you're again ignoring the pain and suffering wrought by the evil actions of mankind. A just God, even one with the patience and grace that God has, will bring judgement. And, notice as well, that when He does bring judgement, He preserves the righteous. So, there's no petty, jealous, vindictive or cruel anything to complain about.

No I'm not.

The fact is that those "evil" actions are the exceptions not the rule. A just god would not allow a child to me raped or a person to be murdered but your god will forgive all those crimes but the one crime that is unforgiveable by your god is blasphemy.

How is that a just god? Insult him and it's unforgiveable but rape kill murder all you have to do is apologize to god who wasn't even a victim.

The god in the bible has some serious issues and is not anyone I would want to be around

No I'm not.

The fact is that those "evil" actions are the exceptions not the rule. A just god would not allow a child to me raped or a person to be murdered but your god will forgive all those crimes but the one crime that is unforgiveable by your god is blasphemy.
A truly just God that allows free moral choice does allow evil to exist, because the alternative is robotic enslavement to His decrees, and He didn't want that.
How is that a just god? Insult him and it's unforgiveable but rape kill murder all you have to do is apologize to god who wasn't even a victim.
You obviously have no idea what repentance is all about.
The god in the bible has some serious issues and is not anyone I would want to be around
He won't allow evil too much leeway and will bring judgement. Apparently, you don't like that idea.

A truly just God that allows free moral choice does allow evil to exist, because the alternative is robotic enslavement to His decrees, and He didn't want that.

You obviously have no idea what repentance is all about.

He won't allow evil too much leeway and will bring judgement. Apparently, you don't like that idea.
That's kind of exactly what it wanted.

Why else would people be commanded to love their god first and foremost

Why is blasphemy the only unforgiveable sin?

And the idea that some immoral all knowing god that is what I would call emotionally immature is sitting in judgement is utterly hilarious to me.

It has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes of the Iron age mythology that created that god.

That's kind of exactly what it wanted.

Why else would people be commanded to love their god first and foremost
Because He deserves it.
Why is blasphemy the only unforgiveable sin?
You can only be forgiven if you ask for it and repent. Therefore, the only unforgivable sin is to refuse to repent. The Holy Spirit is who leads you to repentance.
And the idea that some immoral all knowing god that is what I would call emotionally immature is sitting in judgement is utterly hilarious to me.
The true hilarity is that you think you have standing to judge God as immoral or immature. The ant screams his defiance to the human that obliterates his hill.
It has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes of the Iron age mythology that created that god.
Exactly, it has nothing to do with your likes or dislikes.

Because He deserves it.

You can only be forgiven if you ask for it and repent. Therefore, the only unforgivable sin is to refuse to repent. The Holy Spirit is who leads you to repentance.

The true hilarity is that you think you have standing to judge God as immoral or immature. The ant screams his defiance to the human that obliterates his hill.

Exactly, it has nothing to do with your likes or dislikes.
I don't think he does.

You god is a hypocrite telling you not to do the very thing he does.

And Blasphemy will never be forgiven by your god.

And of course I have standing because I can reason and look at the actions of any being and judge that behavior to any standard I want.

I could use all your arguments as to why your god exists to pretend any god exists

I don't think he does.

You god is a hypocrite telling you not to do the very thing he does.
A policeman can tell you not to do the things he does. A father can tell his children not to do the things he does. Anyone with authority can tell those without it not to do the things they are allowed to do. Heck, a school secretary can tell you not to go into a school building that she enters every day. None of those are hypocrites, yet you complain God is a hypocrite, even though He is not bound by what He tells us to do? Nonsense.
And Blasphemy will never be forgiven by your god.
Define "blasphemy" before going further.
And of course I have standing because I can reason and look at the actions of any being and judge that behavior to any standard I want.
Which is meaningless to reality. The ant raging at the human has no idea that his hill is being eliminated because the human doesn't want to see it, and his judgement on the human means nothing.
I could use all your arguments as to why your god exists to pretend any god exists
You can pretend all you want; it doesn't matter anymore than your likes or dislikes.

Not an atheist.

When I hear arguments of a 'cruel God', it strikes me as silly as someone complaining about the cruelty of gravity if they jump out of an 11th-story window. Or the brutality of a hurricane.

A policeman can tell you not to do the things he does. A father can tell his children not to do the things he does. Anyone with authority can tell those without it not to do the things they are allowed to do. Heck, a school secretary can tell you not to go into a school building that she enters every day. None of those are hypocrites, yet you complain God is a hypocrite, even though He is not bound by what He tells us to do? Nonsense.

Define "blasphemy" before going further.

Which is meaningless to reality. The ant raging at the human has no idea that his hill is being eliminated because the human doesn't want to see it, and his judgement on the human means nothing.

You can pretend all you want; it doesn't matter anymore than your likes or dislikes.

More irrelevant analogies.

Your god isn't a cop. He's despot, a dictator.

Matthew 12:32

Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

When I hear arguments of a 'cruel God', it strikes me as silly as someone complaining about the cruelty of gravity if they jump out of an 11th-story window. Or the brutality of a hurricane.
That is the correct motorcycle. They do resemble a man who jumps from the 11th floor, railing about the unfairness of gravity as he plummets past a BASE jumper who's floating down under a parachute. Or, for that matter, someone ranting at a hurricane blowing his house to pieces while his neighbor, who invested in measures to ensure his house would survive said hurricane, rides it out in comfort and safety.

I didn't say cruel

I said petty, jealous and vindictive easily insulted and hypocritical.

More irrelevant analogies.

Your god isn't a cop. He's despot, a dictator.
He is God, the ultimate authority over you that you cannot accept, and your acceptance is not required for His existence. That is ultimately what condemns people to eternity without Him, their refusal to accept that there is an authority so far above them that they cannot escape it.
Matthew 12:32

Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
And do you know why? The Holy Spirit is the one who calls you to repentance and you can put yourself in the place where He won't come after you anymore. When there is no repentance, there is no forgiveness. Thankfully, God is extremely gracious and loving, and gives far more chances to repent than we ever do.

I didn't say cruel

I said petty, jealous and vindictive easily insulted and hypocritical.
A toddler can think his Dad is being mean to him when he goes away every day and won't play with him until dinner time. That doesn't mean his Dad is being mean. A toddler can think his Mom is being hypocritical when she slaps his hand for getting too close to the stove but she uses it several times a day, every day. That doesn't mean his Mom is being hypocritical. A toddler can think his parents are easily insulted when he gets punished for saying and doing inappropriate things in front of guests. That doesn't mean they are easily insulted.

Your criticism of God has no more credibility than a toddler's criticism of his parents, who are just trying to teach the child the realities of life. Dad has to disappear every day because he's working. Don't touch the stove because it's hot. There are things that we do not do in front of guests because we are being polite, etc. etc.

He is God, the ultimate authority over you that you cannot accept, and your acceptance is not required for His existence. That is ultimately what condemns people to eternity without Him, their refusal to accept that there is an authority so far above them that they cannot escape it.

And do you know why? The Holy Spirit is the one who calls you to repentance and you can put yourself in the place where He won't come after you anymore. When there is no repentance, there is no forgiveness. Thankfully, God is extremely gracious and loving, and gives far more chances to repent than we ever do.
No your god has no authority over me.

A toddler can think his Dad is being mean to him when he goes away every day and won't play with him until dinner time. That doesn't mean his Dad is being mean. A toddler can think his Mom is being hypocritical when she slaps his hand for getting too close to the stove but she uses it several times a day, every day. That doesn't mean his Mom is being hypocritical. A toddler can think his parents are easily insulted when he gets punished for saying and doing inappropriate things in front of guests. That doesn't mean they are easily insulted.

Your criticism of God has no more credibility than a toddler's criticism of his parents, who are just trying to teach the child the realities of life. Dad has to disappear every day because he's working. Don't touch the stove because it's hot. There are things that we do not do in front of guests because we are being polite, etc. etc.

I'm not a toddler and can exercise my own reason. Something religious zealots never do.

And it's not a criticism it is an objective observation.

Forum List

Back