'Religion' made 'Government' Necessary.

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
I never could figure out why atheists are always so hell bent on convincing other people there is no God?? .. :cool:

Actually, its the other way around.

You'll never open your door on a Saturday morning to a rude little granny, little kid in tow, loaded down with tracts they want you to read.

What's actually fascinating is that almost all cultures have had the need for a super being to believe in, lean on, blame and credit.

Seems like that's a very basic weakness that we humans all share.

It's not a weakness, Bro'.... It's a productive cost of our greatest gift: Sentience.

The thing that separates the Monkeys from the monkeys and other animals is that Monkeys understand that death is inevitable. Animals just deal with the next moment as it comes.

Man is an animal that dies very reluctantly its entire life, not just at the end. Various beliefs in life-after-death scenarios and a psyche that embraces religious beliefs makes evolutionary sense to me, considering how productive humans got as they learned to organize around common beliefs.

Say what you will about religion... without it, modern society would not be possible.

Religion taught humans to organize, the greedy industrialized the concept, and 10,000 years later, here we are.

A simple read of history tells the cost of Religion. Same can be said of the cost of Industrialization. WYGD? :dunno:

Here's something to put in your pipe and smoke on... 'Religion' made 'Government' necessary.
:smoke:

What else is necessary for modern society?
:eusa_think:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association,

Jan. 1. 1802.

Last edited:
I dont know if I would say we needed religion to get to where we are today. I will say it played an important role regardless.

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association,

Jan. 1. 1802.

Yeah, I was kind of going for origins, way back when.

The closer we get to now, the more religious organizations seem to try to emulate the governments they spawn, which made the concept of Separation of Church & State necessary.

Interesting conclusion though... kind of supports how much alike religous and government organizations can be, eh?

Forum List

Back