🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Reparations???

I said in another post, that since it was Democrats who owned slave, Democrats that fought to keep them slave, and Democrats after slavery was abolished, terrorized the ex-slaves, that it should be every Democrat Voter who should be taxed $1000 a year to pay for the reparations to those who were descendants were slave, but also the descendants of the white soldiers that fought to free the slaves. If that doesnt get the fucking moronic Democrats to shut up about reparations I dont know what would.
I'm white so should I expect "reparations" from England for the 800 years they oppressed, starved and brutalized my Paddy ancestors (who had to flee to America in 1800s)?
youre white so you get NOTHING,,,

now sit down and shut up!!!
never said I wanted reparations, my great grandfather came from Scotland, so I have no skin in the game.
liberal logic says since your white somewhere along the way you oppressed someone
Yeah I sure did, my black friends were oppressed when I told them all about investing in stocks, and now they own their own businesses and are quite wealthy. I love that type of oppression...

OK i see,,,since you have black friends your not oppressing them,,,LOL
I raised my kids to be open minded and not say anything bigoted or racist. The had multi cultural friends of all backgrounds. Although one of my kids gave me a lot of problems. Down her in Central Florida there are a lot of restauraunts. So many jobs are there. Practically every person who serves that my kids knew including African American friends, did not want to serve tables with African Americans. The games played were never ending. The tips miniscule many times and at times nothing. The food was terrible mantra after cleaning the plates of ever last morsel of food was a standard beaerer. Now you have peasants trying to survive with other peasants living a one way existence. This is not the only thing. Oppression comes in man ways.

...We aren’t exactly talking about human history of the world. There are still people alive today who lived through Jim Crow and systemic discrimination through our laws. That’s worth a serious debate about how to rectify don’t you think?
Not really.

We fought to free 'em. We passed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. We gave 'em 50+ years of Affirmative Action.

Enough is enough.
Do you think affirmative action was a good thing following the civil rights act? Do you think the civil rights act was a good thing?
Yes. Indeed. These things were good for Blacks. Dr. King thought so, anyway, after fighting for them to materialize.

never said I wanted reparations, my great grandfather came from Scotland, so I have no skin in the game.
liberal logic says since your white somewhere along the way you oppressed someone
Yeah I sure did, my black friends were oppressed when I told them all about investing in stocks, and now they own their own businesses and are quite wealthy. I love that type of oppression...

OK i see,,,since you have black friends your not oppressing them,,,LOL
No, I am oppressing them, I invite them over to my house, and we sit there drinking Remi Martin's while discussing stock options. Very tolling work there.
ok I got nothing

oh wait,,,
did you ask their permission???
after the 3rd glass, who needs permission...

Remy Martin XO

View attachment 247558

Perhaps it's time to rid ourselves of a few government funded programs. Programs such as Affirmative Action and other things meant to supposedly make reparations to specific minority groups are pretty vague in my humble opinion. The blacks site that it's reparations for slavery and things that happened to violate their civil rights since that time. However today is not then and since then there have been a large number of new immigrants who have no justification to claim such reparations just because they happen to be from Africa and elsewhere.

In what way do the American people owe "reparations" or Affirmative Action to people who immigrated here after the Civil War, much less after the Civil Rights Acts of the 50's and 60's, just because a person has dark skin?

If these programs are meant as reparations and such then the person applying for said programs should have to prove that their families were citizens of the United States during those times.

Additionally if there are immigrants who have used these programs then they should be required to return said money to the United States with interest.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Interesting question and I HOPE we can discuss it without the racial animus that usually accompanies the subject.
First things first let's understand and agree that that black folks WERE ripped from their culture and families and made slaves. That is something not easily overcome. In fact it's something that leaves a lasting scar.

Then let's understand that after we freed these people from slavery...that they underwent a century of Jim Crow laws that were not a lot different from the slavery they had been freed from and that that only ended 50 or so years ago.

And then lets understand that black folks STILL have to deal with the results of this. All one has to do is look on THIS fucking board to see that racism is STILL an issue. One that us white folks aren't affected by but black folks confront every day

So where does that leave us?

CLearly it's a difficult question. And no one running for President is proposing that we "cut a check" to "pay for this.

That's a HUGE understanding..

Someone has very clearly focused grouped "reparations" and found that people are against direct cash payments to "fix" this.

Again. No Presidential candidates are proposing that and that changes the discussion dramatically.

So what does that leave? What are the "reparations" being proposed?

I have heard NO actual proposals. NONE.

I happen to be a project manager who deals with Federal contracts. As part of satisfying the requirements for submitting bids, a contractor has to satisfy requirements for "attempting to acquire" sub contractors who fall into minority and women owned businesses. You don't have to fulfill the "required" 15%. You have to show that you "tried".

And the reason for that is that there simply aren't enough businesses that meet those requirements. Think about that. There are just not enough businesses owned by minority folks and women to meet that 15% requirement!

That's an issue...and that's a problem.

So how do we fix that?

Low interest/no interest loans and grants.

As a small business owner...I can tell you that those are simply not available to ANYONE. They are just not there for anyone and they would result in middle class business growth and job growth.

Do we target them at all low income businesses? Do we do that AND make an emphasis towards minority/women owned business?

I say we do ALL of that.

Small business is he engine of Democracy

And THAT is what Kamala Harris is talking about

Last edited:
As I said on another thread i will support reparations for any living person who was a slave in America.

And what you are talking about is "cutting a check" for reparations...which NO Presidential candidate is talking about

If liberals weren't so historically, damnably IGNORANT, they would realize that EVERY group of people on this planet has been abused and brutalized at one point or another in history. ALL races have a bloody history, not simply the whites that liberals love to blame for everything. Hell, the biggest mass-murderer in recorded human history was NOT WHITE. He was an Asian named Mao Zedong. Human history is universally barbaric, no one race owns the ultimate monopoly on human rights atrocities. Which makes liberal "white guilt" nothing but arrogant, preening, virtue-signaling posturing from atop a golden pedestal.
We aren’t exactly talking about human history of the world. There are still people alive today who lived through Jim Crow and systemic discrimination through our laws. That’s worth a serious debate about how to rectify don’t you think?

Let me ask, if new technology revealed that your grandfather robbed a bank but was never caught, should you be imprisoned for his actions now that he isn't around?
No I shouldn’t. I also don’t think that is an accurate comparison to this situation

It's an exact comparison. If you believe in reparations, then what you believe are that people today should be paying a debt for the actions of generations before them; people they've never met and probably never heard of.
I’m not in favor of blanket reparations. I’m open to hearing ideas and responding to them. I think affirmative action was a good idea in the 60s and 70s following the civil rights act, which I support as well. There were generations of people that were held back and restricted of opportunity for employment and education by our laws. It makes sense to provide a balancing factor to make up for that in order to right the scales. Not forever but for a period of time. Do you agree?

No I do not. I'm 58 years old and only as a child actually remember people being openly discriminated against. In other words the people that suffered that discrimination are long gone or very old now and likely on some sort of social program whether they contributed to it or not.

If it's one thing I think we can all agree on, this subject (which keeps coming up) is for political purposes only and will likely not result in anything. I believe that those of working age today have no issues they did not create for themselves. In the black community, their problem is not what happened to their father or grandfather. Their problem is single-family homes, lack of education by dropping out of school, and parent(s) who don't look over their children. In other words, their problems are self-made, not the result of people that lived before them, slavery or Jim Crow.

If liberals weren't so historically, damnably IGNORANT, they would realize that EVERY group of people on this planet has been abused and brutalized at one point or another in history. ALL races have a bloody history, not simply the whites that liberals love to blame for everything. Hell, the biggest mass-murderer in recorded human history was NOT WHITE. He was an Asian named Mao Zedong. Human history is universally barbaric, no one race owns the ultimate monopoly on human rights atrocities. Which makes liberal "white guilt" nothing but arrogant, preening, virtue-signaling posturing from atop a golden pedestal.

What is not acceptable today was acceptable years ago. Most people don't know it, but even God approved of slavery.

When a man brought shame or damage to a person or family, they didn't have lawyers or courts around. Nobody had any money to sue anyhow. So people enslaved each other to repay a debt. If a father caught his daughter with an unmarried man, that man brought shame to the family and he was enslaved for a period of time deemed by the father. It's just the way people did things long ago and it went on all over the world.

Of course in a more civilized time, we now look at slavery differently. It was barbaric and oppressive. It was a wrong thing to do by today's standards. And who knows? Perhaps in fifty or a hundred years from now, people will consider us barbaric for owning pets, having boxing matches, or mixed martial arts. But today, these things are acceptable in our societies.
Dont forget the high paid slaves of the NFL whose owners abuse them by making them play 60 minutes of gladiatorial combat, but have all the benefits and some...

I'm glad you brought that up Jim because somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall a jock comparing their profession to slavery, but I can't think of who it is right now not being much of a sports fan. A multi-million dollar a year job slavery? Hmmm.

As I said on another thread i will support reparations for any living person who was a slave in America.

And what you are talking about is "cutting a check" for reparations...which NO Presidential candidate is talking about

Okay, since you're on the left and probably follow them much closer than us on the right, WTF are they talking about then? Be specific.

We aren’t exactly talking about human history of the world. There are still people alive today who lived through Jim Crow and systemic discrimination through our laws. That’s worth a serious debate about how to rectify don’t you think?

Let me ask, if new technology revealed that your grandfather robbed a bank but was never caught, should you be imprisoned for his actions now that he isn't around?
No I shouldn’t. I also don’t think that is an accurate comparison to this situation

It's an exact comparison. If you believe in reparations, then what you believe are that people today should be paying a debt for the actions of generations before them; people they've never met and probably never heard of.
I’m not in favor of blanket reparations. I’m open to hearing ideas and responding to them. I think affirmative action was a good idea in the 60s and 70s following the civil rights act, which I support as well. There were generations of people that were held back and restricted of opportunity for employment and education by our laws. It makes sense to provide a balancing factor to make up for that in order to right the scales. Not forever but for a period of time. Do you agree?

No I do not. I'm 58 years old and only as a child actually remember people being openly discriminated against. In other words the people that suffered that discrimination are long gone or very old now and likely on some sort of social program whether they contributed to it or not.

If it's one thing I think we can all agree on, this subject (which keeps coming up) is for political purposes only and will likely not result in anything. I believe that those of working age today have no issues they did not create for themselves. In the black community, their problem is not what happened to their father or grandfather. Their problem is single-family homes, lack of education by dropping out of school, and parent(s) who don't look over their children. In other words, their problems are self-made, not the result of people that lived before them, slavery or Jim Crow.
There are a lot of issues..and a white truck driver from Cleveland is NOT the expert on them

Interesting question and I HOPE we can discuss it without the racial animus that usually accompanies the subject.
First things first let's understand and agree that that black folks WERE ripped from their culture and families and made slaves. That is something not easily overcome. In fact it's something that leaves a lasting scar.

Then let's understand that after we freed these people from slavery...that they underwent a century of Jim Crow laws that were not a lot different from the slavery they had been freed from and that that only ended 50 or so years ago.

And then lets understand that black folks STILL have to deal with the results of this. All one has to do is look on THIS fucking board to see that racism is STILL an issue. One that us white folks aren't affected by but black folks confront every day

CLearly it's a difficult question. And no one running for President is proposing that we "cut a check" to "pay for this.

Someone has very clearly focused grouped "reparations" and found that people are against direct cash payments to "fix" this.

Again. No Presidential candidates are proposing that and that changes the discussion dramatically.

I happen to be a project manager who deals with Federal contracts. As part of satisfying the requirements for submitting bids, a contractor has to satisfy requirements for "attempting to acquire" sub contractors who fall into minority and women owned businesses. You don't have to fulfill the "required" 15%. You have to show that you "tried".

And the reason for that is that there simply aren't enough businesses that meet those requirements. Think about that. There are just not enough businesses owned by minority folks and women to meet that 15% requirement!

So how do we fix that?

As a small business owner...I can tell you that those are simply not available to ANYONE. They are just not there for anyone and they would result in middle class business growth and job growth.

Do we target them at all low income businesses? Do we do that AND make an emphasis towards minority/women owned business?

I say we do ALL of that.

Okay, since you're on the left and probably follow them much closer than us on the right, WTF are they talking about then? Be specific.

How much more specific do I need to get?

There are a lot of issues..and a white truck driver from Cleveland is NOT the expert on them

Who here is an expert? You?

So please detail these issues that a truck driver from Cleveland who lives in a black neighborhood doesn't understand just yet. In fact, educate us all if you will......

What they are doing is pandering to specific group for votes which more than a little moronic considering it’s just February of 2019 in any event all of this reparations talk will soon be forgotten if it hasnt been already.

So how do we fix that?

I say we do ALL of that.

How much more specific do I need to get?

Tell us exactly what your Democrat leaders want in reparations. And no generalizations please.

Tell us exactly what your Democrat leaders want in reparations. And no generalizations please.

They have not PRESENTED proposals on the issue. All we have so far is very general responses to questions asked of them and your hyperbolic fantasies

What they are doing is pandering to specific group for votes which more than a little moronic considering it’s just February of 2019 in any event all of this reparations talk will soon be forgotten if it hasnt been already.
So you're juts making noise about nothing?

Oh...

They have not PRESENTED proposals on the issue. All we have so far is very general responses to questions asked of them and your hyperbolic fantasies

So in other words, you don't know either. Since neither of us know, I took the liberty to look up the definitions of reparations, and here is what I found:

reparation

noun
the making of amends for wrong or injury done:reparation for an injustice.

Usually reparations. compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war.

restoration to good condition.

the definition of reparations

So as it relates to today, we can reasonably conclude that they are not talking about material or labor which would be reverse slavery. We are talking about money, and if so, what kind of money and in what way distributed?

You are being extremely short sighted. For example. Generally speaking, which child has a better chance of going to college? A child from a high class family who’s parents and grandparents all went to college or a child from a poor family who’s parents didn’t complete high school? Simple question, please give a simple and direct answer

Before every election the Liberal Socialist pukes bring up reparations and gets the unwashed all excited right up to voter registration. Then they forget all about it.

Before every election the Liberal Socialist pukes bring up reparations and gets the unwashed all excited right up to voter registration. Then they forget all about it.
Actually it's being brought up TO them...obviously because right wing focus groups have shown it to be a race baiting winner.

I tried to address this in an honest and accurate way previously on this thread and that was ignored...because no one actually wants to discuss i...they just want to USE it

Forum List

Back