Report: Welfare Pays More than Minimum Wage, Discourages Workers

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
the hell with working I'm going on welfare...you think Nancy Pelosi will call me a, freeloader?
links in article at site

SNIP:

Recipients in 39 states can accept benefits while employed

BY: Daniel Wiser
August 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Welfare benefits and the loss of leisure time still act as disincentives to earning a salary despite improvements in the welfare-work tradeoff since federal reforms in 1996, according to a report published Monday.

The report by the Cato Institute found that the equivalent wage value of welfare has increased in 33 states since 1995, when the think tank first released a report on the issue. Benefits in the District of Columbia expanded by $6,850 to a total package equivalent to $50,820 in wages, the second largest increase behind Vermont.

Welfare “pays” more than $15 per hour in 13 states.

However, the report also notes that welfare recipients in 39 states can accept a job paying slightly less than welfare without losing income. That is a result of state and federal tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit, which are designed to encourage working and childbearing.

Still, those tax incentives for work are often outweighed by the remaining tax burden and the loss of leisure, said Michael Tanner, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute and coauthor of the report, in an interview.

“The benefit package is so large and the tax burden so high that it doesn’t make that much of a difference,” Tanner told the Free Beacon.

“A lot of people would choose not to work because of leisure. There’s a lot of sacrifice involved in going to work.”

Leisure in this sense acts as a good that welfare recipients will “purchase” more of by reducing their work effort, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Individuals who have depended on welfare for extended periods are also less likely to find work offering higher incomes, the report states.

all of it here
Report: Welfare Pays More than Minimum Wage, Discourages Workers | Washington Free Beacon

you have to work for welfare. it's not "free"

dumb ass bitch

This is hard to quantify since often welfare benefit amounts depend on factors such as how large a family, whether they are also paying for rent/mortgage, etc. whereas generally a wage is just that regardless of size of family or housing situation.

Someone working full time at $8/hour would earn about $1408/month before taxes, and I don't think they'd be hit by income tax very much at that level. In Arizona I don't think you'd sniff anywhere near that much in welfare.

Forum List

Back