Republicans Are Again Sprinting Toward An Economic Cliff...

ThoughtCrimes

Old Navy Vet
Jun 25, 2012
...just like they did in 1929. Well, anyway as a Depression Era historian draws a very convincing parallel.

"I’m a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929.

“There are two ideas of government,” William Jennings Bryan declared in his 1896 “Cross of Gold” speech. “There are those who believe that if you will only legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea, however, has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous their prosperity will find its way up through every class which rests upon them.”

That was more than three decades before the collapse of the economy in 1929. The crash followed a decade of Republican control of the federal government during which trickle-down policies, including massive tax cuts for the rich, produced the greatest concentration of income in the accounts of the richest 0.01 percent at any time between World War I and 2007 (when trickle-down economics, tax cuts for the hyper-rich, and deregulation again resulted in another economic collapse).

Yet the plain fact that the trickle-down approach has never worked leaves Republicans unfazed. The GOP has been singing from the Market-is-God hymnal for well over a century, telling us that deregulation, tax cuts for the rich, and the concentration of ever more wealth in the bloated accounts of the richest people will result in prosperity for the rest of us. The party is now trying to pass a scam that throws a few crumbs to the middle class (temporarily — millions of middle-class Americans will soon see a tax hike if the bill is enacted) while heaping benefits on the super-rich, multiplying the national debt and endangering the American economy."

MORE:
~~ Perspective | I’m a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929. ~~

...just like they did in 1929. Well, anyway as a Depression Era historian draws a very convincing parallel.

“There are two ideas of government,” William Jennings Bryan declared in his 1896 “Cross of Gold” speech. “There are those who believe that if you will only legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea, however, has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous their prosperity will find its way up through every class which rests upon them.”

That was more than three decades before the collapse of the economy in 1929. The crash followed a decade of Republican control of the federal government during which trickle-down policies, including massive tax cuts for the rich, produced the greatest concentration of income in the accounts of the richest 0.01 percent at any time between World War I and 2007 (when trickle-down economics, tax cuts for the hyper-rich, and deregulation again resulted in another economic collapse).

Yet the plain fact that the trickle-down approach has never worked leaves Republicans unfazed. The GOP has been singing from the Market-is-God hymnal for well over a century, telling us that deregulation, tax cuts for the rich, and the concentration of ever more wealth in the bloated accounts of the richest people will result in prosperity for the rest of us. The party is now trying to pass a scam that throws a few crumbs to the middle class (temporarily — millions of middle-class Americans will soon see a tax hike if the bill is enacted) while heaping benefits on the super-rich, multiplying the national debt and endangering the American economy."

MORE:
~~ Perspective | I’m a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929. ~~

"I'm a happy Kinettacist, and that piece is nonsense."

MORE:

This will fall on deaf ears. Trump said it was good, then it has to be good.

Trump could literally shit on a bun and hand it to his followers telling them it was a steak burger and they would happily eat it

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG the sky is falling and it’s Trumps fault!!!

And the John McCain haters should thank him for today's booming market - it seems he has agreed to support the Senate bill.

upload_2017-11-30_15-31-28.jpeg

And the John McCain haters should thank him for today's booming market - it seems he has agreed to support the Senate bill.

John doesn't have long to go. I suspect he doesn't want to go out as the goat.

Too late for him. He will always be remembered as the petty little baby that he is.

No, he will be remembered as a patriot, hero, and truly great American.

By you and you alone.

Umm yeah pretty much. Look around.

I am looking around. I see increasing prosperity, consumer confidence, booming business, and crying Democrats. Life is fucking fantastic.

Good boy. You're making your masters proud. I'm sure any day now you'll be enjoying the scraps from their table.

And look! Another crying democrat!

Love it.

MORE:
New analysis says the Senate GOP tax bill will add $1 trillion to the deficit.
Well done losers.

MORE:

This tax plan combines the worst of the 1920's with the housing crisis of 2007-8, to produce possibly the shittiest bill ever composed.

If signed into law, this tax bill will cause a housing crisis because home prices will be reduced thanks to the loss of the deductions. You read it here! Remember when we said this. A housing crisis will happen by 2020 if this thing passes.

I am looking around. I see increasing prosperity, consumer confidence, booming business, and crying Democrats. Life is fucking fantastic.

The words you're looking for are: "Thanks, Obama".
No, I'm pretty sure the words we're looking for are "Make America Great Again".

Thank you Donald Trump!

The stock market: All-time high.
Job openings: All-time high. Unemployment rate: Lowest in 11 years!
Consumer confidence: 17-year high. New home sales: 10-year high.
New home average price: All-time high. Federal manufacturing: 24-year high. That is the Trump economy."

MAGA!

Last edited:

Thank you Donald Trump!

The stock market: All-time high.
Job openings: All-time high. Unemployment rate: Lowest in 11 years!
Consumer confidence: 17-year high. New home sales: 10-year high.
New home average price: All-time high. Federal manufacturing: 24-year high. That is the Trump economy."

MAGA!

Trump had nothing to do with any of that.

Forum List

Back