Republicans to target unions, expand school choice in states

It's great to see these kids doing so well. Kids who would otherwise be treated as victims because of their skin color and family income are doing great because they're held to the same standards and expectations as anyone else. In a tougher academic environment.

My mixed-race family is so proud of my daughter, and we love it when she tells us stories of these kids. Brown or black skin doesn't mean a kid should be treated differently, and this school proves it.

Nice dodge to not answer the questions, Mac.

One more try.

Is this charter school taking the special needs kids and the disciplinary problem kids? Or are they just taking kids where they can show good results with?
Not trying to dodge anything. It's not a private school, it's a charter school. Apply, do the paperwork, you're in.

Ain't that great for the kids?

This IS about the KIDS, right?

charter schools pick and choose the kids they want. they divest public schools of funding and make unaccountable corporations rich.

It's great to see these kids doing so well. Kids who would otherwise be treated as victims because of their skin color and family income are doing great because they're held to the same standards and expectations as anyone else. In a tougher academic environment.

My mixed-race family is so proud of my daughter, and we love it when she tells us stories of these kids. Brown or black skin doesn't mean a kid should be treated differently, and this school proves it.

One more try.

Is this charter school taking the special needs kids and the disciplinary problem kids? Or are they just taking kids where they can show good results with?
Not trying to dodge anything. It's not a private school, it's a charter school. Apply, do the paperwork, you're in.

charter schools pick and choose the kids they want. they divest public schools of funding and make unaccountable corporations rich.
Of course.

I would have been stunned if you folks believed or agreed with any of this.

Not my problem.

One more try.

I posted a link that disclaimed all that. I forget how far back it was, but it's an article from USA today.

One more try.

I posted a link that disclaimed all that. I forget how far back it was, but it's an article from USA today.
It doesn't matter.

Found this on my local news station site and decided to throw it out there. The meat of the article says this:

"As President-elect Donald Trump leads an attempted makeover in Washington, Republican governors and state lawmakers will be simultaneously pushing an aggressive agenda that limits abortion, lawsuits and unions, cuts business taxes and regulations, and expands gun rights and school choice.

Republicans will hold 33 governors' offices, have majorities in 33 legislatures and control both the governor's office and legislature in 25 states - their most since 1952. Democrats will control both the governor's office and legislature in only about a half-dozen states; the rest will have politically divided governments."

So is this such a bad agenda? I predict more snowflakes a falling.

no doubt you think it's a good idea to destroy education and enrich trumpeter buddies by giving them lucrative charter school contracts.

keep the populace dumb and teachers unpaid.

way to go!

So how good are these public schools now? If one thing doesn't work so well, you stop it and try another.

We weren't talking about demographics. Does this charter school take the retards and the gangbangers, or do they fob them off on the Public Schools?

They ship them back to public school. That's why you want your kid in an alternative school in the first place.

My oldest daughter teaches at a charter school in a predominantly minority area. The demographic makeup of the school matches the area.

Consistently top 10% test scores in the state, kindergarten (her class) through sixth grade.

They're writing cursive and reading books in kindergarten. I sat in a class a couple of months ago. Awesome.

Those minority kids are gonna kick ass when they get older. No safe spaces there.

Why is teaching cursive a good thing by you? Nobody writes in cursive anymore. It's dead technology.

They should be teaching these kids how to type on a computer.

Again, when you can cherry-pick your students, of course you are going to get good results.

How do you write a check on a computer?

My oldest daughter teaches at a charter school in a predominantly minority area. The demographic makeup of the school matches the area.

Consistently top 10% test scores in the state, kindergarten (her class) through sixth grade.

They're writing cursive and reading books in kindergarten. I sat in a class a couple of months ago. Awesome.

Those minority kids are gonna kick ass when they get older. No safe spaces there.

Plus they'll have a a better shot at a good college.

You bet. Regardless of their skin color.

Sure it will. You send rich people's kids to the same shitty schools that poor people's kids have to go to, and you'll be AMAZED how fast things get fixed.

I see. So what you're saying is we should go through all this expense to use the children, and punish the parents so they'll cough up money for schools that are not in their area?

If the people in that area want better schools, then why don't they cough up their own money to make them better?

I don't know if you have any evidence of your claim or not, but one of the biggest reasons to send your child to a private school is so they are not distracted by disruptive kids. Inner-city parents want their children to be in a learning environment instead of a drug infested violent environment. In order to accomplish that, they would have to try and get the kids that really want to learn.
Of the 100,000 public schools in the country, there are very few violent interruptions in class. Most interruptions in class are talking out of turn, talking when teacher is talking, not paying attention, getting out of their seat and moving around the room without permission, excessive trips to the restroom, distractions by students with games, cell phones, and other devices, tardiness, disrespectful language toward the teacher or other students. Expelling kids for class interruptions is not the answer. For one thing you would be expelling some of brightest kids and secondly, it doesn't fix the problem.

I taught 5th grade for two years in a Chapter One School. All students were on free or reduce lunch. They were 90% Black or Hispanic and most of them lived in a low income housing project across from the school. There were lots interruptions in class because that's how they go attention at home, but there was never any serious violence other than an occasional school yard fight.

Well I guess our school must be different than all the rest because we have a teacher getting assaulted nearly every month. The police are always at the school to try and stop gang fights before they happen or at least be near when they do.

But it doesn't have to be violence to disrupt an entire class. It's really not much different than when I was in school. Every kid wanted to be cool and they often imitated the actions of the troublemakers because troublemakers were funny and cool.

But again I say that should be up to the parents to decide whether their child's environment is acceptable or not for their kids to learn. Without some hope such as vouchers, kids are stuck right where they are at with no escape in sight. All parents can do is hope for the best that their child doesn't get mixed up with the wrong group of kids and end up fighting or worse yet, getting hooked on drugs.
One of the major causes of student disruption in class is smarter kids bored out of their mind because the district is not providing advanced classes for these kids. I have a grandson in the 5th grade that's reading at a 12 grade level and is in the 99 percentile in math. He's always getting in trouble because there is nothing to challenge him at school. What's needed is advanced classes in all grade levels. Even if we had vouchers, they wouldn't pay anything even close the $24,000/yr tuition charged by the school he needs to attend.

That's the nice thing about home school, a student learns at their own pace.

It's been my opinion that we should promote more home schooling. Have home school parents take in some neighborhood kids and give them the education money instead. It would save us tax payers a bundle, allow home school mothers to have an income while teaching, and that would allow more women to pursue staying at home to teach their (and other) children.

It's the perfect idea except for one thing: teachers unions.
Homeschooling is fine for those that can do it. Almost half of the two parent families both parents work full time. 46% of the single parent families work full time. For those that don't have full time jobs, most have part time jobs. Couple that with the fact that a lot parents can't handle teaching, it's not an option for the vast majority parents.

Correct, which is why I suggest that perhaps if these home school moms take in a few other kids and we pay them per student, they can have both, home school for their kids and a part-time job for family income.

I don't know what the average cost per student is today. Years ago it was 12K per student. So instead of doing it that way, pay parents 9K per student they take in. Tax payers save 3K a year per student, and if a mother takes on three more kids besides her own, that's 27K a year for her to help out the family income

They tried using affirmative action in colleges, but sending kids that were not prepared for those good colleges resulted in a lot of minorities failing and dropping out. They got better results by having minorities attend colleges they were prepared to handle.

If you can give those kids a better primary education, then they would be able to attend those better colleges and able to graduate from them.

They tried using affirmative action in colleges, but sending kids that were not prepared for those good colleges resulted in a lot of minorities failing and dropping out. They got better results by having minorities attend colleges they were prepared to handle.

If you can give those kids a better primary education, then they would be able to attend those better colleges and able to graduate from them.
Yep. It just ain't that complicated. Forget about skin color, and expect more from them. They'll respond.

given that Charter schools have worse record than public schools, and that's before all the protections to keep the scams out are eliminated, um, yeah, that would be a bad thing.

The thing about it is, no one wants to set up Charter Schools in the Cleetus states. There's no money to be made there. They want to get into LA and NY and Chicago, where there are big old pots of money to be had.

If public schools did SO well we would have the capacity to compete on a global level with kids who are already fluent in more than one language. Instead we are finding kids who need fractions written on tape measures, and the need for compliance programs like "no child left behind". Anyone who thinks public school is producing quality education today is obviously delusional and out of touch with the current system.

given that Charter schools have worse record than public schools, and that's before all the protections to keep the scams out are eliminated, um, yeah, that would be a bad thing.

The thing about it is, no one wants to set up Charter Schools in the Cleetus states. There's no money to be made there. They want to get into LA and NY and Chicago, where there are big old pots of money to be had.

If public schools did SO well we would have the capacity to compete on a global level with kids who are already fluent in more than one language. Instead we are finding kids who need fractions written on tape measures, and the need for compliance programs like "no child left behind". Anyone who thinks public school is producing quality education today is obviously delusional and out of touch with the current system.

During the housing bubble we landlords went through hell. You couldn't find a good tenant for anything because lower income people were buying houses instead. I use CraigsList to get my tenants and I've had some pretty good luck with it. Anyway, during that time, I would get emails from people that looked like they were written by a six year old. Some of them I couldn't even make out what they were asking or telling me: misspelled words, no grammar at all, incomplete sentences.

Most of them I didn't write back based on their horrible writing skills. But having no choice, I had to interview some of them.

It didn't surprise me what kind of people I would be dealing with, what I was surprised at is these people had a high school diploma. How does one get a diploma from a public high school when they write like that? If I wouldn't interview these people for an apartment, how do they get employment?

Anyway, we've been talking about only one part of the OP. Here are the other agendas:

"As President-elect Donald Trump leads an attempted makeover in Washington, Republican governors and state lawmakers will be simultaneously pushing an aggressive agenda that limits abortion, lawsuits and unions, cuts business taxes and regulations, and expands gun rights and school choice.

Right-to-work supporters also are targeting New Hampshire, where Republican Gov.-elect Chris Sununu will be paired with a GOP-led Legislature. And collective bargaining restrictions for public employees could be on the agenda in Iowa, where the Republican governor will work with a Legislature that will be under full GOP control when lawmakers reconvene in January.

Republican leaders also are planning to use their statehouse power to pursue a variety of pro-business proposals, including reduced regulations and taxes. Imposing limits on lawsuits that seek damages for product liability claims, injuries, medical malpractice and workplace discrimination is another priority."

Class size has a LOT to do with it. In fact, earlier in this thread I quoted an article that listed the 5 main reasons parents chose private schools and smaller class size was at the top of the list. How can one teacher effectively teach a class of 60 fifth graders? You're arguing against exactly what makes private schools successful. We need more teachers.

The reason I argue against that is because I went to a private school. This was during the baby boom era, and we had 39 kids in my class. I'd match that class against any public school that had much smaller class sizes.

Smaller classes is a union thing. They are not looking out for the kids, they are looking out for themselves. Perhaps some parents bought into that as well, I don't know. Smaller classes may help with an out of control room of kids perhaps, but that's about it.
Have you ever taught a class with 39 kids; I have. In such an environment, kids that need any extra help don't get. There is not enough class time to cover the material and have any interaction with the kids. Most teachers in that environment, hardly even know their students. On parent teacher night, a parent wants to discuss the problem Johnny is having in math and you can't remember which Johnny is their son. Thankfully, I only had to spend two years teaching in the zoo. Frankly, I wish every parent had the opportunity to teach an overloaded class of 3rd graders.

In private schools, larger class sizes may well be tolerable since the school has the opportunity to select their students, no special ed kids, no juvenile delinquents, no kids that can't speak English, no kids that are 3 grade levels behind. Public schools have to take whatever walks in the door.
The whining about private and Charter schools always takes this path. The perception the teacher's unions want to create is "it's the system from which we need protection. That will make for a better system"...
Bullshit.
Union or no union. its all the same everywhere.
Voters keep the school boards stacked with left wing do gooders who in turn keep hiring left wing educrats who care only about their careers, paychecks and platinum plus benefit packages.

During the housing bubble we landlords went through hell. You couldn't find a good tenant for anything because lower income people were buying houses instead. I use CraigsList to get my tenants and I've had some pretty good luck with it. Anyway, during that time, I would get emails from people that looked like they were written by a six year old. Some of them I couldn't even make out what they were asking or telling me: misspelled words, no grammar at all, incomplete sentences.

Most of them I didn't write back based on their horrible writing skills. But having no choice, I had to interview some of them.

It didn't surprise me what kind of people I would be dealing with, what I was surprised at is these people had a high school diploma. How does one get a diploma from a public high school when they write like that? If I wouldn't interview these people for an apartment, how do they get employment?
Their lack of writing skills is someone else's fault. Just grab the proverbial dead cat by the tail and swing.

Found this on my local news station site and decided to throw it out there. The meat of the article says this:

Republicans will hold 33 governors' offices, have majorities in 33 legislatures and control both the governor's office and legislature in 25 states - their most since 1952. Democrats will control both the governor's office and legislature in only about a half-dozen states; the rest will have politically divided governments."

no doubt you think it's a good idea to destroy education and enrich trumpeter buddies by giving them lucrative charter school contracts.

keep the populace dumb and teachers unpaid.

way to go!
Don't you dare spin it that way bitch, you fucking no damn well how the teachers Unions operate, they could give a fuck about the children.

It’s hard to forget former National Education Association (NEA) General Counsel Bob Chanin’s farewell address during the 2009 NEA national convention. “It is not because we care about children; and it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child,” Chanin boasted. “The NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power.”

Forum List

Back