Researchers establish link between racism and stupidity

poet

Rookie
Jun 2, 2011
Texas
Researchers establish link between racism and stupidity ucanews.com

Findings taken from numerous research projects strongly indicate that prejudice, racism and intolerance are more likely to be present in individuals with greater cognitive rigidity, less cognitive flexibility and lower integrative complexity.

racist.gif

Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice.

We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups.

In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology.

A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status.

Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Full Story: Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes
Source: Psychological Science

In other words, if you're stupid, you're probably a racist. That rules me out, on its' face. LOL

Findings taken from numerous research projects strongly indicate that prejudice, racism and intolerance are more likely to be present in individuals with greater cognitive rigidity, less cognitive flexibility and lower integrative complexity.

racist.gif

Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice.

We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups.

In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology.

A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status.

Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

In other words, if you're stupid, you're probably a racist. That rules me out, on its' face. LOL

Several of your last posts have been about how awful white people are... does that not count as racism?

Last edited:

racist.gif

That puts you in the lead of stupidity! Racist, sexist, asshole.

Yeah, everyone here knows by now that you are a fucking idiot. You didn't need to start a new thread to make the announcement, moron.

Yeah, everyone here knows by now that you are a fucking idiot. You didn't need to start a new thread to make the announcement, moron.

Yeah sorry Poet... Unkatore hit the nail on the head

• Banned

racist.gif

Several of your last posts have been about how awful white people are... does that not count as racism?

It would, if it wasn't true. And let's get one thing straight. I don't call out "all white people". Only righties and conservatives. And MondoBongo seems to fit that category. All white people are not the problem. Did you get that? Only some.

• Banned

racist.gif

Uh, not with an I.Q. of 126-130. Sorry.

• Banned

And you're a white dog. Go fetch.

Yeah sorry Poet... Unkatore hit the nail on the head

LOL. I'm sorry if the truth hurts. Not my problem.

racist.gif

Uh, not with an I.Q. of 126-130. Sorry.

Man what kind of response is that...

And you're a white dog. Go fetch.

Again, nobody wants to hear about your lame-ass charcoal sketch, Giovanni.

racist.gif

It would, if it wasn't true. And let's get one thing straight. I don't call out "all white people". Only righties and conservatives. And MondoBongo seems to fit that category. All white people are not the problem. Did you get that? Only some.

Only the whities that aren't paying you off in other words.

I've seen merit in a few of your posts, poet. Probably even acknowledged a couple of them.

The difference between you and me is that I had the good fortune to be lectured about race by my father, at a very early age. I was probably 8 years old when he sat me down after discovering that I'd made some disparaging remarks to a young colored boy in town. This was the early '60s mind you.

It's a fuzzy memory but I remember it distinctly enough. After all, it was 50 years ago.

In a nutshell, he explained to me how to judge the character of people. He pointed to his head and he pointed to his heart.

I dwelled on that moment for the better part of my life. BTW he died when I was 12.

And it wasn't until just a few years ago that I finally "got it". The content of character. The mind and the heart.

My father admired MLK for those very characteristics. Why? Because my dad was the son of a Slovenian Gypsy and he knew first hand about racism. His family suffered at the hands of white American bigots. The very bigots that you yourself bitch and moan about.

He and our family rose above it through pride, hard work, and self-determination. We proved ourselves through that work and worth.

I'd suggest you do the same.

You candy-assed whining little bitch.

Forum List

Back