Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

List of undefeated boxing world champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?
Some poor schmuck in the ghetto had to take Clay's place because he changed his name as an excuse for refusing to go to Vietnam. He's lucky he only lost four years, the poor sap who took Ali's place probably died.

Nevertheless, RIP. Both of them.
. It wasn't just ghetto warriors that were drafted was it ? And as I recall they sure weren't all dark skinned or black right ? He was definitely known as a draft dodger, but he paid for that with his boxing career that sadly destroyed his life anyway. Cruel unforgivable world we all live in, but the reward is the forgiveness for our sins. Amen.
Looking back, it was interesting how, out of all the great athletes of the era, only Ali managed to get drafted
The others either got deferments or a cushy National Guard gig where they only did weekends
. Like some have said here, it probably was for moral purposes for the troops just like Elvis was during world war two or Prince William during Afghanistan. Wasn't that the conflict Prince William was a part of ? I don't believe it was for reasons of trying to get rid of him (Ali) or anything like that.
Elvis WW2?......i dont think so.....

Look....they call Trump a racist without evidence and use that to justify attacking his supporters violently.....yet this man, ali, actually belonged to a racist, hate group for most of his life.....and everyone is ignoring that........

If he was a member of the nation of islam he was a racist...and a hater......no matter what public image he promoted...

And FYI, I'm part Hispanic, Mr anti-white racist.

Ahh, so A) I assume you don't like Trump's wall idea but B) you want to ban all Muslims from America. Yes, I remember you spouting off about that.

Did you lefties listen to Trump.......he didn't say to ban Muslims forever.....just until our corrupt, incompetent government can put up a process that would ban...say.....the two San Bernadino muslim shooters from getting into the country.....and the wall on the border.....we could just use Mexico's immigration policies and do what they do to illegal immigrants who come up from the south...right?

1) Michael Loewe (Born 1969, Welterweight) never fought Ali.

2) Ricardo Lopez (Born 1966, Light flyweight, Minimumweight) never fought Ali.

3) Terry Marsh (Born 1958, Light Welterweight) never fought Ali.

4) Harry Simon (Born 1971, Middleweight, Super middleweight, Light heavyweight, Light middleweight) never fought Ali.

5) Dimitry Pirog (Born 1980, Middleweight) never fought Ali.

6) Edwin Valero (Born 1981, Lightweight, Super featherweight) never fought Ali.

Because ALL of them were A) Born before, at, near or after the peak of Ali's boxing career, and B) never fought a heavyweight bout in their careers.

Sit down liar. You've been TKO'd.
Looks more like you just TKO's yourself (AGAIN). So what if they didn't fight Ali ? Like he is supposed to be some standard that everyone might be gauged by ? How absurd.

He was a good boxer who was champ for awhile, but he got beat by a variety of different fighters. One of them (Leon Spinks), a low ranked almost unknown boxer, took the title from Ali, when Spinks was a rookie fighter with only 7 fights under his belt.

As for fighting a heavyweight, Rocky Marciano was a heavyweight (you obviously don't know what you're talking about), and what does it matter ? Clay called himself the greatest, not just the greatest heavyweight. He was nowhere near the greatest. Every one of the undefeated fighters I listed, were the greatest, and they EARNED that distinction by going undefeated, not by running their mouths, and calling themselves the greatest.
Marciano weighed like 188 lbs.....Ali had 30-40 pounds on him.....i dont think he would have beat him....in Ali's day Rocky would have been a Light Heavy if that.....

Well, this thread shouldn't have been the place for political discussion. A legend just died and this thread was meant to revere his legacy, not revile him for what he believed in.

Well, this thread shouldn't have been the place for political discussion. A legend just died and this thread was meant to revere his legacy, not revile him for what he believed in.

Yeah.......a racist hater....and all of a sudden that doesn't matter to you guys.....you truly are nuts...

Lots of people claim to be the greatest at something he really was RIP.

And his racism? Is that not an issue in this day and age....?
I'm talking about his skill as boxer not his politics or his views on race people can debate those all they want it doesn't change how great he was in boxing ring.

Really......and the fact that he was a racist should have no bearing on this coverage....? Will Trump be laid to rest without any mention of the false claims of racism against him?

Lots of people claim to be the greatest at something he really was RIP.

And his racism? Is that not an issue in this day and age....?
I'm talking about his skill as boxer not his politics or his views on race people can debate those all they want it doesn't change how great he was in boxing ring.

Really......and the fact that he was a racist should have no bearing on this coverage....? Will Trump be laid to rest without any mention of the false claims of racism against him?
If you want to talk about that go ahead I didn't say you or anyone else shouldn't I'm choosing to pay respect to the great boxer he was and not get into all the racial stuff if anyone has a problem with that tough shit they can put me on ignore if it bugs them that much.

1) Michael Loewe (Born 1969, Welterweight) never fought Ali.

2) Ricardo Lopez (Born 1966, Light flyweight, Minimumweight) never fought Ali.

3) Terry Marsh (Born 1958, Light Welterweight) never fought Ali.

4) Harry Simon (Born 1971, Middleweight, Super middleweight, Light heavyweight, Light middleweight) never fought Ali.

5) Dimitry Pirog (Born 1980, Middleweight) never fought Ali.

6) Edwin Valero (Born 1981, Lightweight, Super featherweight) never fought Ali.

Because ALL of them were A) Born before, at, near or after the peak of Ali's boxing career, and B) never fought a heavyweight bout in their careers.

Sit down liar. You've been TKO'd.
Looks more like you just TKO's yourself (AGAIN). So what if they didn't fight Ali ? Like he is supposed to be some standard that everyone might be gauged by ? How absurd.

He was a good boxer who was champ for awhile, but he got beat by a variety of different fighters. One of them (Leon Spinks), a low ranked almost unknown boxer, took the title from Ali, when Spinks was a rookie fighter with only 7 fights under his belt.

As for fighting a heavyweight, Rocky Marciano was a heavyweight (you obviously don't know what you're talking about), and what does it matter ? Clay called himself the greatest, not just the greatest heavyweight. He was nowhere near the greatest. Every one of the undefeated fighters I listed, were the greatest, and they EARNED that distinction by going undefeated, not by running their mouths, and calling themselves the greatest.
Marciano weighed like 188 lbs.....Ali had 30-40 pounds on him.....i dont think he would have beat him....in Ali's day Rocky would have been a Light Heavy if that.....
Ali would have destroyed Marciano

Rockys style would have played right into Ali's strength

Last edited:
America is and always has been a multicultural society. I live in the Northeast and, while I eat pierogies and sandwiches with cole slaw and fries on them, I have little experience with fish tacos or fried okra. I have danced a square dance with all the dosey-does, but I also have danced a tango and the hora. My speech is peppered by Yiddish, Italian and Polish phrases, along with the King's English. I like the blues of Muddy Waters and the piano concertos of Chopin.

When has America been uni-cultural? In 1607 when Jamestown colony was established, there were also Spanish colonies here, along with the varied cultures of the Seminoles, the Cherokee, the Iroquis, the Sioux and the Algonquin. Soon came the cultures of Africa.

In the nineteenth century the cultures of the diverse continents of Europe and Asia were introduced.

America isn't a melting pot. It never has been. These great, fascinating and diverse cultures were not boiled down to a base alloy called America. Rather, think of America as a tossed salad where every bit remains unique and every bit contributes to the whole experience.

America IS a melting pot.

He was good, but people mostly liked him because of his personality. Lennox Lewis would have beaten the crap out of him.
Not likely!
Ali was a blend of size and speed that other boxers just do not have. Any boxer fast enough to keep up with his speed did not have the size to beat him, and those with the size and power were too slow to even lay a glove on him. Ali turned the jab from a set up punch into a devastating weapon.

He was good, but people mostly liked him because of his personality. Lennox Lewis would have beaten the crap out of him.
Not likely!
Ali was a blend of size and speed that other boxers just do not have. Any boxer fast enough to keep up with his speed did not have the size to beat him, and those with the size and power were too slow to even lay a glove on him. Ali turned the jab from a set up punch into a devastating weapon.

Ali was a jaw dropping fighter when he wanted to fight

Most of his fights involved clinching and dancing and then throwing a flurry of punches at the end of a round to steal it

However, when he got into a war, he would figure out a way to win it

but he was moslem .he was terrorist

Idiot!
1673831_930.jpg

this imam was hezbolah vice president
ezbollah: "A-Team Of Terrorists" - CBS News
www.cbsnews.com/news/hezbollah-a-team-of-terrorists/
ترجمه این صفحه"Hezbollah may be the 'A-Team of Terrorists' and maybe al-Qaeda is actually the 'B' ... Hezbollah'ssupporters say that attack was a response to shelling by U.S. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back