Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this thread shouldn't have been the place for political discussion. A legend just died and this thread was meant to revere his legacy, not revile him for what he believed in.

Yeah.......a racist hater....and all of a sudden that doesn't matter to you guys.....you truly are nuts...

I'm sorry you feel that way about me 2a, but even as conservative as I am, I can appreciate the accomplishments of people like Muhammad Ali.

Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

List of undefeated boxing world champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?
Some poor schmuck in the ghetto had to take Clay's place because he changed his name as an excuse for refusing to go to Vietnam. He's lucky he only lost four years, the poor sap who took Ali's place probably died.

Nevertheless, RIP. Both of them.

You don't need to change your name -- or be famous or anything else --- to simply refuse to go to war, which is all Ali did. Hi name change was done years before and had zero to do with that anyway. Finally Ali wasn't the guy who sent "some poor schmuck" --- the government was. What the fuck don't you get about how things work?

Cassius Clay R.I.P.
Muhammad Ali R.I.P.

^ fixed

Sorry to post again but AvgGuyIA is a butthurt fag who had to run to the mods because he's a pussy.
You violated the rules by changing my words. What if I changed the words in your other posts to make you sound like a rational conservative instead of a nutcase Social Justice warrior?

No, you violated common decency by disrespecting the subject's name. TOS corrected you.

America is and always has been a multicultural society. I live in the Northeast and, while I eat pierogies and sandwiches with cole slaw and fries on them, I have little experience with fish tacos or fried okra. I have danced a square dance with all the dosey-does, but I also have danced a tango and the hora. My speech is peppered by Yiddish, Italian and Polish phrases, along with the King's English. I like the blues of Muddy Waters and the piano concertos of Chopin.

When has America been uni-cultural? In 1607 when Jamestown colony was established, there were also Spanish colonies here, along with the varied cultures of the Seminoles, the Cherokee, the Iroquis, the Sioux and the Algonquin. Soon came the cultures of Africa.

In the nineteenth century the cultures of the diverse continents of Europe and Asia were introduced.

America isn't a melting pot. It never has been. These great, fascinating and diverse cultures were not boiled down to a base alloy called America. Rather, think of America as a tossed salad where every bit remains unique and every bit contributes to the whole experience.

America IS a melting pot.
Demonstrate your argument as I did.

1) Michael Loewe (Born 1969, Welterweight) never fought Ali.

2) Ricardo Lopez (Born 1966, Light flyweight, Minimumweight) never fought Ali.

3) Terry Marsh (Born 1958, Light Welterweight) never fought Ali.

4) Harry Simon (Born 1971, Middleweight, Super middleweight, Light heavyweight, Light middleweight) never fought Ali.

5) Dimitry Pirog (Born 1980, Middleweight) never fought Ali.

6) Edwin Valero (Born 1981, Lightweight, Super featherweight) never fought Ali.

Because ALL of them were A) Born before, at, near or after the peak of Ali's boxing career, and B) never fought a heavyweight bout in their careers.

Sit down liar. You've been TKO'd.
Looks more like you just TKO's yourself (AGAIN). So what if they didn't fight Ali ? Like he is supposed to be some standard that everyone might be gauged by ? How absurd.

He was a good boxer who was champ for awhile, but he got beat by a variety of different fighters. One of them (Leon Spinks), a low ranked almost unknown boxer, took the title from Ali, when Spinks was a rookie fighter with only 7 fights under his belt.

As for fighting a heavyweight, Rocky Marciano was a heavyweight (you obviously don't know what you're talking about), and what does it matter ? Clay called himself the greatest, not just the greatest heavyweight. He was nowhere near the greatest. Every one of the undefeated fighters I listed, were the greatest, and they EARNED that distinction by going undefeated, not by running their mouths, and calling themselves the greatest.
. Hmm, he's kind of like Obama, running that mouth claiming he's the greatest, when the world knows better... LOL... Just had to play off of your post a little.. LOL

You spelled "Rump" wrong. Where did O'bama ever declare himself "the greatest"?

:link:

America is and always has been a multicultural society. I live in the Northeast and, while I eat pierogies and sandwiches with cole slaw and fries on them, I have little experience with fish tacos or fried okra. I have danced a square dance with all the dosey-does, but I also have danced a tango and the hora. My speech is peppered by Yiddish, Italian and Polish phrases, along with the King's English. I like the blues of Muddy Waters and the piano concertos of Chopin.

When has America been uni-cultural? In 1607 when Jamestown colony was established, there were also Spanish colonies here, along with the varied cultures of the Seminoles, the Cherokee, the Iroquis, the Sioux and the Algonquin. Soon came the cultures of Africa.

In the nineteenth century the cultures of the diverse continents of Europe and Asia were introduced.

America isn't a melting pot. It never has been. These great, fascinating and diverse cultures were not boiled down to a base alloy called America. Rather, think of America as a tossed salad where every bit remains unique and every bit contributes to the whole experience.

America IS a melting pot.
If America is indeed a melting pot, the culture of the Deep South would be identical to the culture of New England. Wanna show that as true, or would you believe that NASCAR and country western music are as popular in Rhode Island as Alabama?

Egg crepes and knisishes a big seller in Mississippi, or are they more popular on Coney Island?

A clean seed corn cap is perfectly acceptable headwear in Minnesota, but would draw odd stares in Seattle.

Ali could have chosen another career and had been just as successful. The guy was talented.

He could have been a huge asset to the troop morale in war time, but really he made up for it in the end, as everyone loved him and his contributions he made afterwards. He paid his dues in the end. RIP.

Bob Hope was a big asset to troop morale

He would have been more effective if he had come out against the war
. Now your talking dumb. Bob hope was flat outright the best when it came to troop morale. Denounce the war & undermine the troops in action ? A typical weak knees liberal move, but not the move of true American patriots who were fighting for those in the world who wanted what America has "Freedom".

Bob Hope coming out against the war would have ended it two years earlier

Sometimes supporting the troops is not making them laugh but looking out for their well being
. Winning that war should have been the order of the day, and us not bowing down to freaks & hippies who didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground is where it all went wrong & where we went wrong. It's been a shame and a sham ever since. It opened up Pandora's box, and it all but erased our victories in Europe and in the Pacific theater.

Ali could have chosen another career and had been just as successful. The guy was talented.

He could have been a huge asset to the troop morale in war time, but really he made up for it in the end, as everyone loved him and his contributions he made afterwards. He paid his dues in the end. RIP.

Bob Hope was a big asset to troop morale

He would have been more effective if he had come out against the war
. Now your talking dumb. Bob hope was flat outright the best when it came to troop morale. Denounce the war & undermine the troops in action ? A typical weak knees liberal move, but not the move of true American patriots who were fighting for those in the world who wanted what America has "Freedom".

Bob Hope coming out against the war would have ended it two years earlier

Sometimes supporting the troops is not making them laugh but looking out for their well being
. Oh so Bob Hope caused the war to go on for two more years eh ? Stop, your making me laugh out loud now.

The melting pot doesn't mean robotic uniformity. You don't seem to understand the terms in use.

Condolences to all in the Ali family. Sad ti see a guy pass away at only 74. Nowadays that is a young age for someone to die. Look a Bernie Sanders. He's 74 and he's a bundle of energy. Same with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger, who tour the world and dance all over stages.

Something does need to be said about this "greatest" title we keep seeing and hearing so much, though. Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) was perhaps "the greatest" at showmanship and self-promotion. As a boxer, he was a very good one, but he was far from being the greatest at that.

He lost a few fights, and there are other boxers (Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather, Joe Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, Sven Ottke, Edwin Valero, and others) who fought dozens of fights, and still went UNDEFEATED. Valero won all 27 of his fights, all of them by knockouts. Not fair to these guys to call Ali "the greatest".

How many of those guys had four prime years taken away because they stood up for their political principles?

Is dodging the draft now considered a political principle?
Ali did not dodge the draft, he met it head on. While conservatives were sending their sons to Canada or getting them college deferments, Muhammad Ali just refused to step across that line at the inception station. That was a powerful moment that stands as one of the most spectacular in Black History.

Here was a real man who was courageous enough to let the the White world know he was a Black man who demanded to be in control of his fate and not just a shill for corporate America. With Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted, Ali's decision became even more important during the era of MLK. Frankly it would have been interesting to see other Black draftees follow the advise of MLK and do what Ali did.

Thousands of Black men died in Vietnam as in all of our wars; even as their loved ones, left behind, still had to struggle with their real enemy: RW conservatism/racism. Ali knew that and was brave enough and smart enough to bring it out to be recorded by the unblinking eye of the news cameras for the entire world to see. He was willing to make that ultimate sacrifice and gained more respect in that moment than all the Blacks who acquiesced and went with the flow; earning nothing but more contempt by many Whites who hated them anyway…and hated obsequious Blacks even more.

. Ummm, we have been Waring ever since we landed, and do you know what that waring was all about ? It was the war of ideas and cultures coming together to form this great country into an American culture that can live together in peace and in harmony together. We finally agreed on many things that would form the union of standards, ideas and beliefs. Now it seems that there are those who want to tear it all apart, and attempt to rebuild it into something they want it to be. Ummm they didn't ask, and we as a whole didn't give them permission too, so failure will come for them, and they will find out soon that you can't just change a nation into something else against it's will, and you sure can't do it during one presidency.

Ali did not dodge the draft, he met it head on. While conservatives were sending their sons to Canada or getting them college deferments, Muhammad Ali just refused to step across that line at the inception station. That was a powerful moment that stands as one of the most spectacular in Black History.

Here was a real man who was courageous enough to let the the White world know he was a Black man who demanded to be in control of his fate and not just a shill for corporate America. With Jim Crow and a plethora of other racial atrocities as the backdrop of his refusal to be drafted, Ali's decision became even more important during the era of MLK. Frankly it would have been interesting to see other Black draftees follow the advise of MLK and do what Ali did.

Thousands of Black men died in Vietnam as in all of our wars; even as their loved ones, left behind, still had to struggle with their real enemy: RW conservatism/racism. Ali knew that and was brave enough and smart enough to bring it out to be recorded by the unblinking eye of the news cameras for the entire world to see. He was willing to make that ultimate sacrifice and gained more respect in that moment than all the Blacks who acquiesced and went with the flow; earning nothing but more contempt by many Whites who hated them anyway…and hated obsequious Blacks even more.
. You know if it was so bad for the blacks in the 60's 70's, and onward, then I'll ask this now - Why didn't the blacks who hated white America so bad, return to their homeland Africa ? With what the government was doing for blacks in those years & beyond, I think that if the blacks would have asked the government here, and at anytime they wished, the federal government would have provided them a way to be repatriated to their homeland. In fact the government might have even went as far as helping them to liberate their homeland, and even to make war with those who might oppose them going back there.

. You know if it was so bad for the blacks in the 60's 70's, and onward, then I'll ask this now - Why didn't the blacks who hated white America so bad, return to their homeland Africa ? With what the government was doing for blacks in those years & beyond, I think that if the blacks would have asked the government here, and at anytime they wished, the federal government would have provided them a way to be repatriated to their homeland. In fact the government might have even went as far as helping them to liberate their homeland, and even to make war with those who might oppose them going back there.

Back to where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back