Restaurants are adding labor surcharges to help offset minimum wage increases

BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

Restaurant diners are footing the bill for rising minimum wages.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

Wendy's installing self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 restaurants
US retail sales rise in January, led by gas and restaurants
What does 'A Day Without a Woman' mean for restaurants?
“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.

Increased regulations, taxes, liability, mandates,....all lead to higher costs which are passed onto the customers. Liberals will never learn or they simply don't give a shit.

The ole liberal trickle up theory of economics. If that works so well, why not pay them $100 and hour? The economy should sky rocket.

Or why not reduce wages to zero, force people to work for nothing, and really get that trickle down thing going?
You farted. I asked why not pay them $100/hr if your theory works.

Because you created a textbook strawman.
How so? You said paying them more boosts the economy. Looks like you ran away from it pretty quick!

I stated the indisputable fact that when a low wage person makes more money they will spend more money.

Do you wish to dispute that?

but you refuse to acknowledge that as labor costs rise the price of goods and services also rise

so if you want to make small increases in the MW it's no big deal but the recent calls for more than doubling the current fed MW are a completely different matter

BUT BUT BUT Libtards laughed when Republicans said higher minimum wages will drive up food costs.

Restaurant diners are footing the bill for rising minimum wages.

In lieu of steep menu price increases, many independent and regional chain restaurants in states including Arizona, California, Colorado and New York are adding surcharges of 3% to 4% to help offset rising labor costs. Industry analysts expect the practice to become widespread as more cities and states increase minimum wages.

More on this...

Wendy's installing self-ordering kiosks in 1,000 restaurants
US retail sales rise in January, led by gas and restaurants
What does 'A Day Without a Woman' mean for restaurants?
“It’s the emerging new norm,” said Sharokina Shams, spokeswoman for the California Restaurant Association. She said California restaurants are adding surcharges as the state lifts the minimum wage every year until it reaches $15 an hour by 2023. It is currently at $10.50 an hour for employers with 26 or more workers.

Increased regulations, taxes, liability, mandates,....all lead to higher costs which are passed onto the customers. Liberals will never learn or they simply don't give a shit.

no they can't learn so they don't give a shit

How so? You said paying them more boosts the economy. Looks like you ran away from it pretty quick!

I stated the indisputable fact that when a low wage person makes more money they will spend more money.

I wish to dispute it's better for the economy if we force businesses to artificially increase wages. I made it crystal clear but you can't grasp it for some reason.

Your failure to answer my challenge proves it's wrong.
We have had minimum wages for over 70 years
Each time we tried to raise them, conservatives moaned about the end of small business as we know it
really?

Care to link to that claim?

And you can't seem to understand that more than half the states already have MW that is higher than the federal
Not even worthy of a response

The ole liberal trickle up theory of economics. If that works so well, why not pay them $100 and hour? The economy should sky rocket.

Or why not reduce wages to zero, force people to work for nothing, and really get that trickle down thing going?

I do.

A huge minimum wage increase has a domino effect causing inflation. If your wage goes up, but the cost of everything around you increases as well, how are you ahead?

Here in Cleveland they put the issue of a $15.00 minimum wage to vote in their all Democrat Council. They voted it down. Why? Because they knew it would chase businesses into the suburbs. So then they asked the county to join in so that wouldn't happen. The county wouldn't consider it for the same reason. It would chase industry to surrounding counties.

Why are politicians so interested in people making more money? The more money people make, the more taxes they pay. And if an increase causes a domino effect, then it's better yet, because everybody is making more money and paying more taxes.

I do.

A huge minimum wage increase has a domino effect causing inflation. If your wage goes up, but the cost of everything around you increases as well, how are you ahead?

Here in Cleveland they put the issue of a $15.00 minimum wage to vote in their all Democrat Council. They voted it down. Why? Because they knew it would chase businesses into the suburbs. So then they asked the county to join in so that wouldn't happen. The county wouldn't consider it for the same reason. It would chase industry to surrounding counties.

Why are politicians so interested in people making more money? The more money people make, the more taxes they pay. And if an increase causes a domino effect, then it's better yet, because everybody is making more money and paying more taxes.
We would not need a huge minimum wage increase if we had allowed wages to increase with inflation for the last eight years

Employers have profited from frozen wages for eight years

Time to pay the piper

I do.

We would not need a huge minimum wage increase if we had allowed wages to increase with inflation for the last eight years

Time to pay the piper
/--- Workers should get what they earn and what the employer can afford not what some power hungry politician says they should get so he can consolidate his power base.

I do.

Time to pay the piper
/--- Workers should get what they earn and what the employer can afford not what some power hungry politician says they should get so he can consolidate his power base.
Actually.........we have a society that looks out for those least able to defend themselves

Like low wage workers

I do.

Time to pay the piper
Actually.........we have a society that looks out for those least able to defend themselves

Like low wage workers

Sorry, but it doesn't take a village. It takes ambition which minimum wage decreases.

One of my tenants moved last year. She and her boyfriend rented from me for seven years. They both worked fast food joints the entire time. She was always late with rent, but always paid with no real problems. They both had junk cars because they couldn't' afford anything better; always buying tires because their front ends needed so much work it went through tires like toilet paper.

So why didn't they look for better paying work? They were both pot heads. Lower wage jobs don't drug test, and better paying jobs do.

They were good kids, and it was always my hope that when they grew up some, they would quit the pot and find better jobs or careers when they got sick of driving around in junk and living check to check. I hope it happens if it already didn't.

But if we in Ohio ever adopted a huge minimum wage increase, they would probably never take that route until it's too late in life. They would probably find themselves in their 40's only knowing how to prepare pizzas and make french fries.

I do.

Time to pay the piper

No, not really. The less it costs to run a business, the less their product or service costs to the customer. Increase wages, their customers would likely have to pay that bill.

I do.

Time to pay the piper

No, not really. The less it costs to run a business, the less their product or service costs to the customer. Increase wages, their customers would likely have to pay that bill.

The customer is already paying $8 for a stinking burger. The owner obviously doesn't care about passing on cost
The business owner has profited off of a frozen minimum wage
The employees have had to make do with less

Time to even the playing field

$15 to make up for the last eight years and the next eight when we finally get around to raising it again

I do.

Time to pay the piper

Complaining about employers' profits is not a solution. The better way for wages to go up is when a healthy employment market exists and companies are competing for labor. When cash is sitting on the sidelines and jobs are scarce, artificial means (i.e. Mandates) have the opposite effect.

Their no such thing as a free lunch.

When the filthy ass government artificially increases wages that are higher than the free market will support then somebody has to pay for it.

The filthy ass government should never be in the business of telling an employer how much they have to pay an employee. That should always be between the employee and employer.

Just imagine what a sorry individual you have to be to depend upon the filthy ass oppressive government making your employer to pay you more money than you can earn in the free market of labor.

I do.

Time to pay the piper

The customer is already paying $8 for a stinking burger. The owner obviously doesn't care about passing on cost

$15 to make up for the last eight years and the next eight when we finally get around to raising it again

Then the customer will have to pay $10.00 for a burger.

A kid graduates from high school, finds a job at a factory, and is paid minimum wage. As time goes on and he learns how to do more jobs in the company, his wages increase.

Now four years later, he is making $15.50 an hour. Then some Democrat comes along either in his state or in the federal government and makes the minimum wage $15.00 an hour. Do you think that kid in the factory is going to sit still now that he's back to minimum wage?

Of course not. He's going to march to his employers office and demand that his wage be at least seven dollars more than minimum wage, or he quits. The employer has no choice. It's either gives him $22.00 an hour, or hire another person at his current wage that knows nothing and has to be trained all over again.

Okay, that's fine and dandy. But what about the factory workers coworker that's been with the company ten years and is making $22.00 an hour finds out????

Thanks to unions, we already priced ourselves out of millions of jobs through outsourcing or automation. And you want to put that process in fast forward????

I do.

Time to pay the piper

Like low wage workers
/---- Actually you are confused between someone who is mentally or physically disabled and can not defend themselves and a teenager looking for some extra coin so he or she can have some walking around money. That is the intent of minimum wage.

What good is an employer if their employees have to live off welfare to survive?

[Q

You Moon Bats are always confused about economics.

There is no "level playing field" when the filthy ass government dictates the compensation terms between an employer and employee.

That is government oppression and things like that ruin an economy. Just go ask your commie buddies in Venezuela if you don't understand it.

The government should never be in the business of telling any business what they must pay for their labor.

You stupid Moon Bats really love the concept of government interference in our lives, don't you?

Let me guess. You have been making minimum wage all your life and you are so sorry that the only way you can a higher salary is if the government forces somebody to pay you more money.

Don't eat at those restaurants. They obviously don't care about American Workers. I'm so sick of the Minimum Wage meme. Greedy bastards who don't wanna pay American Workers a living wage, can go to hell as far as i'm concerned. I'm tired of their games. All their threats of replacing Workers with 'Robots', and constantly making struggling folks out to be the 'Bad Guy.'

Our Minimum Wage is an absolute embarrassment compared to the rest of the world. The richest nation on earth can certainly do better. We need to look out for our Workers. So, don't give your money to folks who don't wanna treat their fellow Americans with dignity. Period, end of story.

What good is an employer if their employees have to live off welfare to survive?

They don't have to live on welfare. Living on welfare is an option. They are free to work more hours. If the employer doesn't have more hours to give them, they can find a weekend job. If the weekend job is not enough, they can find a job working a few nights a week. And if they really have the energy, learn a trade, get into a career, or find a company that pays better money.

Minimum wage workers are only about 3% of our workforce.

Forum List

Back