Retail workers fear for their safety

Data?

Sure.

Do you?

Even FOX News is reporting the crime decline. :)

Events/anecdotes are pretty meaningless of course; data matters.
You think I’m arguing with you about overall crime and you continue to ignore the topic.,

How long can this go on? Local jurisdictions don’t have the resources to prosecute shoplifting. Flash mob grab and go is on the rise. What should retailers do?

I would start draconian measures. Incentivize shoppers to do more online (shopping and pickup). Beef up premium security personnel; preferably armed. Let shoppers know that if they choose to enter the store, they are subject to random searches while in the store. If they fail to comply, they will be removed from the store, by force, if necessary.

this all depends on who the retail worker supports....if it is trump, this person needs protection and an end to this nonsense..................if a biden supporter and their knifed, you got what you voted for...better luck next time

i have no pity for a biden supporter and their entire family

Sadly you are probably correct.

Hard not to get drawn into the hyper-partison posting at times.

I probably need to take a break.
probably do^^^

How long can this go on? Local jurisdictions don’t have the resources to prosecute shoplifting. Flash mob grab and go is on the rise. What should retailers do?

I would start draconian measures. Incentivize shoppers to do more online (shopping and pickup). Beef up premium security personnel; preferably armed. Let shoppers know that if they choose to enter the store, they are subject to random searches while in the store. If they fail to comply, they will be removed from the store, by force, if necessary.

ALL BULLSHIT. Crime is down. Larceny is down. Retailers are exaggerating .

Crime down in 2023, first article. Crime down in 2022, second article. We’re hovering around all time lows. Yes there was a bump in crime coming out of the pandemic. No it isn’t a sustained problem or even high compared to history.

Most people think the U.S. crime rate is rising. They're wrong.

The FBI data, which compares crime rates in the third quarter of 2023 to the same period last year, found that violent crime dropped 8%, while property crime fell 6.3% to what would be its lowest level since 1961, according to criminologist Jeff Asher, who analyzed the FBI numbers.

Murder plummeted in the United States in 2023 at one of the fastest rates of decline ever recorded, Asher found, and every category of major crime except auto theft declined.

Yet 92% of Republicans, 78% of independents and 58% of Democrats believe crime is rising, the Gallup survey shows.

FBI data doesn’t have a separate category for retail theft. It falls under “larceny,” which declined overall last year, according to the latest numbers. Retail theft is widely believed to have skyrocketed in some cities, and the industry says it is at “unprecedented” levels. But the data doesn’t necessarily support that thesis.

FBI Releases 2022 Crime in the Nation Statistics — FBI

The FBI’s crime statistics estimates for 2022 show that national violent crime decreased an estimated 1.7% in 2022 compared to 2021 estimates:

• Murder and non-negligent manslaughter recorded a 2022 estimated nationwide decrease of 6.1% compared to the previous year.
  • In 2022, the estimated number of offenses in the revised rape category saw an estimated 5.4% decrease.
  • Aggravated assault in 2022 decreased an estimated 1.1% in 2022.
  • Robbery showed an estimated increase of 1.3% nationally.

Crime down in 2023, first article. Crime down in 2022, second article. We’re hovering around all time lows. Yes there was a bump in crime coming out of the pandemic. No it isn’t a sustained problem or even high compared to history.

The FBI data, which compares crime rates in the third quarter of 2023 to the same period last year, found that violent crime dropped 8%, while property crime fell 6.3% to what would be its lowest level since 1961, according to criminologist Jeff Asher, who analyzed the FBI numbers.

Murder plummeted in the United States in 2023 at one of the fastest rates of decline ever recorded, Asher found, and every category of major crime except auto theft declined.

Yet 92% of Republicans, 78% of independents and 58% of Democrats believe crime is rising, the Gallup survey shows.

FBI data doesn’t have a separate category for retail theft. It falls under “larceny,” which declined overall last year, according to the latest numbers. Retail theft is widely believed to have skyrocketed in some cities, and the industry says it is at “unprecedented” levels. But the data doesn’t necessarily support that thesis.

The FBI’s crime statistics estimates for 2022 show that national violent crime decreased an estimated 1.7% in 2022 compared to 2021 estimates:

• Murder and non-negligent manslaughter recorded a 2022 estimated nationwide decrease of 6.1% compared to the previous year.
  • In 2022, the estimated number of offenses in the revised rape category saw an estimated 5.4% decrease.
i'm showing tolerance for you people

i'm showing tolerance for you people

Look at the data, not what you are hearing. Data shows there is no problem in retail theft. Another right wing lie.

Republicans tried running on that in 2022. Didn't work out too well for them but that never stops them from going to the well again.
this peer reviewed study has opened my eyes some...i knew it....but it is notarized now

this peer reviewed study has opened my eyes some...i knew it....but it is notarized now

Where is the FBI getting its data from? Reported crimes.

Shrink is in line with previous years where it has bounced between 1.4% and 1.6%. It doesnt matter how many fucking videos you post. Only stupid people decide what is up or down via social media examples. Here is the retail industry's own expert:

1703169302206.png

Forum List

Back