Richard Nixon Wanted A Handgun Ban

As George Carlin pointed out, there are no rights if they can be taken away. There are privilages.

Gun ownership is a privilage. Freedom of religion is a privilage. It is something you have because the majority of your fellow citizens agree you should have it.

Interesting. Your political philosophy is based upon the wit and wisdom of George Carlin? George Carlin was a great comedian, but as a political theorist, I would not put him in the same class as Hobbes or Locke. That a right can be taken away or that a right can be violated does not mean that it is a privilege. That is a non sequitur because a “right” is not defined by the incapacity of society to violate same or otherwise restrict same.

Last edited:
Nixon, Reagan, Bush couldn't be elected today.

Nixon would be a fine candidate for today's Democrats. Big government, high taxes and would do anything to win. He did have the decency to resign, which puts him above Clinton and Obama.
Reagan? Heck, I'd vote for him today. I dont care that he's dead. He'd still do a better job than the clown in the WH now.

Reagan was a treasonous bastard.

One of the mistakes often made in the gun control debate is that it is a liberal vs. conservative issue. It is not and never has been. It is a rural vs urban cultural issue. People from urban environments tend to view guns negatively as the primary impact on their lives involves criminal activity. People from a rural environment grew up with guns via hunting and sports shooting. It is a part of their culture.

The fact is that politicians pander to their base. One of the primary bases of support for Democrats is urban areas. One of the primary bases of support for Republicans is rural areas. However, a Democrat who hails from a primarily rural area will tend to support gun rights... Thus Harry Reid was given an A rating and a $5,000 contribution from the NRA in 2010. Conversely, a Republican with a urban constituency will tend to support gun control. Thus we have Bloomberg.

By Rebecca Leber

Previously unreported tapes of Richard Nixon reveal the president once called for a ban on handguns.

The Associated Press reports Nixon took a hard stand during an exchange on May 16, 1972, the day after an attempted assassination on George Wallace:

“I don’t know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house,” Nixon said in a taped conversation with aides. “The kids usually kill themselves with it and so forth.” He asked why “can’t we go after handguns, period?”

Nixon went on: “I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it.” But “people should not have handguns.”​

Republicans, including Nixon and Ronald Reagan, have backed anti-gun violence measures, and yet President Obama’s commonsense, widely supported proposals have only met blanket resistance from the NRA.

More: Richard Nixon Wanted A Handgun Ban

"Republicans, including Nixon and Ronald Reagan, have backed anti-gun violence measures, and yet President Obama’s commonsense, widely supported proposals have only met blanket resistance from the NRA."

The voters, back in those days probably did not fear nor distrust their own government nor associate those administrations with a tyrannical takeover of the people, once all of our liberties were steamrolled one by one.

imageslock-1.jpg

Hmm 2 Christians and one former Christian.

And 2 white guys and one black guy.

And 1 Fascist, 1 Communist, and 1 guy who favors a Democratic Republic.

What was your picture trying to point out?

It's sort of confusing.

One of the mistakes often made in the gun control debate is that it is a liberal vs. conservative issue. It is not and never has been. It is a rural vs urban cultural issue. People from urban environments tend to view guns negatively as the primary impact on their lives involves criminal activity. People from a rural environment grew up with guns via hunting and sports shooting. It is a part of their culture.

The fact is that politicians pander to their base. One of the primary bases of support for Democrats is urban areas. One of the primary bases of support for Republicans is rural areas. However, a Democrat who hails from a primarily rural area will tend to support gun rights... Thus Harry Reid was given an A rating and a $5,000 contribution from the NRA in 2010. Conversely, a Republican with a urban constituency will tend to support gun control. Thus we have Bloomberg.

Basically..yeah.

Guns make more sense in a rural environment. They don't make any sense in an Urban environment.

It is possible to craft baseline policy based on that..if you get rid of the hyperbole.

Nixon would be a fine candidate for today's Democrats. Big government, high taxes and would do anything to win. He did have the decency to resign, which puts him above Clinton and Obama.
Reagan? Heck, I'd vote for him today. I dont care that he's dead. He'd still do a better job than the clown in the WH now.

Don't forget that your man-god Reagan supported the Brady Bill, but gave Iran anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles. I wonder why Republicans never bring that up? :eusa_whistle:

Don't forget that your man-god Reagan supported the Brady Bill, but gave Iran anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles. I wonder why Republicans never bring that up? :eusa_whistle:

Dont forget Reagan disarmed the Soviet Union and PATCO. WOnder why the Dums never bring this up.

[

You haven't tried anything you keep allowing criminals back out on the streets, and you don't even want too address the crazy people issue just let them back out on the street is the left's answer.

Guy, we lock up 2 million Americans. Compare that to 69,000 Japanese prisoners and 78,000 Germans. Locking people up isn't the answer. So while we do have the guy who swiped a slice of pizza doing a life sentence, it's really not detering crime all that much.

In fact, it's probably making things worse. If you lock up a pot-smoker with a rapist, you aren't going to get a more mellow rapist, you are going to get a more angry and dysfunctional pot smoker...

I'd be all for a system of institutionalizing the insane and making sure they got proper treatment, but geez, you guys wouldn't want to pay the taxes for it.

You're so fucking infatuated with other countries why don't you more your sorry ass to one of them?

[

You haven't tried anything you keep allowing criminals back out on the streets, and you don't even want too address the crazy people issue just let them back out on the street is the left's answer.

Guy, we lock up 2 million Americans. Compare that to 69,000 Japanese prisoners and 78,000 Germans. Locking people up isn't the answer. So while we do have the guy who swiped a slice of pizza doing a life sentence, it's really not detering crime all that much.

In fact, it's probably making things worse. If you lock up a pot-smoker with a rapist, you aren't going to get a more mellow rapist, you are going to get a more angry and dysfunctional pot smoker...

I'd be all for a system of institutionalizing the insane and making sure they got proper treatment, but geez, you guys wouldn't want to pay the taxes for it.

You're so fucking infatuated with other countries why don't you more your sorry ass to one of them?

Because I don't speak German or Japanese well.

And that isn't the point.

The point is- if you are doing something a way and getting exactly the opposite of your desired result, then you should look at what other people are doing if they are getting the desired result.

Let's stipulate for the sake of this conversation- the desired result is less murder and less crime. Got it.

Okay - The Germans and the Japanese have this problem solved. Limited gun ownership, only locking up the people who really need to be locked up, poverty relief programs that don't leave us with lots of desperate people. Hmmmm...

Maybe we ought to try that since we've been doing it your way for 30 years and it ain't workin'.

By Rebecca Leber

Previously unreported tapes of Richard Nixon reveal the president once called for a ban on handguns.

The Associated Press reports Nixon took a hard stand during an exchange on May 16, 1972, the day after an attempted assassination on George Wallace:

“I don’t know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house,” Nixon said in a taped conversation with aides. “The kids usually kill themselves with it and so forth.” He asked why “can’t we go after handguns, period?”

Nixon went on: “I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it.” But “people should not have handguns.”​

Republicans, including Nixon and Ronald Reagan, have backed anti-gun violence measures, and yet President Obama’s commonsense, widely supported proposals have only met blanket resistance from the NRA.

Wow! Nixon's a left wing hero now?

Man you people are rampant and random boot lickers aren't you?

Last edited:
By Rebecca Leber

That seals it, if Nixon wanted it it mist be a good idea.

By Rebecca Leber

That seals it, if Nixon wanted it it mist be a good idea.

Like price controls and the EPA. His domestic policy sucked.

Because I don't speak German or Japanese well.

And that isn't the point.

The point is- if you are doing something a way and getting exactly the opposite of your desired result, then you should look at what other people are doing if they are getting the desired result.

Let's stipulate for the sake of this conversation- the desired result is less murder and less crime. Got it.

Okay - The Germans and the Japanese have this problem solved. Limited gun ownership, only locking up the people who really need to be locked up, poverty relief programs that don't leave us with lots of desperate people. Hmmmm...

Maybe we ought to try that since we've been doing it your way for 30 years and it ain't workin'.

Dude America broke away from those countries We are better than they are and will never be like them. That';s the reality of the situation

By Rebecca Leber

Wow! Mixon's a left wing hero now?

Man you people are rampant and random boot lickers aren't you?

Nixons the hero, and Woodward get's thrown under the bus.

And Reagan started Lifeline, which George W. Bush expanded to cellphones, which led to the "Obamaphone".

Ah, teaching Republicans history is fun.

I find it funny that you actually believe you're 'teaching' anyone anything. Seriously. Very fucking funny.

Funny? It's hilarious.

Monkeys will be teaching Shakespeare before the average nutball is ready to learn anything challenging nutball propaganda.

Am still laughing at the shock and dismay expressed in other threads as younger nutballs learned for the first time that Reagan, the great 'govamet' cutter, hired more civilian federales than any president before his terms other than FDR and that to this day NeoCon Ron is the SOLE post WWII president to triple the national debt in peacetime.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back