RIP Richard Mellon Scaife

A "patriot" with flaws:

Scaife's newspaper also endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton's bid for president in 2008.

Despite funding many causes dear to conservatives, Scaife was libertarian on many social issues. He supported Planned Parenthood and abortion rights, supported legalizing same-sex marriage and marijuana, and opposed the invasion of Iraq in 2003......Clinton gave Scaife an autographed copy of his book, and Scaife said he later sent $100,000 to the Clinton Global Initiative. (Scaife also said philandering "is something that Bill Clinton and I have in common.")

Scaife also made headlines in recent years during a bitter divorce battle with Margaret Ritchie Battle Scaife, his second wife. The divorce was finalized in 2012. His first marriage, to Frances Gilmore Scaife, also ended in divorce.

Scaife admitted to becoming an alcoholic, and he had a reputation for having a fiery temper.

He was of age to serve in both Korea and Vietnam, I see nothing on military service in the obit, did he serve?

Last edited:
Great men have great flaws.
But thank you for trying to sully the memory of a great man with your carping petting little chickenshit.

But thank you for trying to sully the memory of a great man with your carping petting little chickenshit.

I asked a question about the philandering Sciafe, I gather he had "other priorities" than military service.

I asked a question about the philandering Sciafe, I gather he had "other priorities" than military service.

He had a student exemption. Like Bill Clinton.
Scaife did more for this country in 15 minutes than you've done in your lifetime.

Scaife did more for this country in 15 minutes than you've done in your lifetime.

He made more money, yes. And you do not know me, nor he:D

You revealed The Rabbi's hero as a Libertarian. He hates Libertarians. Now he is conflicted. :D

He gave away more money in 5 minutes than you have your entire life.

You revealed The Rabbi's hero as a Libertarian. He hates Libertarians. Now he is conflicted. :D

ONly in your mind. Because I admire doesnt mean I agree with every aspect of his views. Unlike Democrats who slavishly worship their heroes.

He gave away more money in 5 minutes than you have your entire life.

I have read he did contribute, obviously one looks at percentage of wealth; no explanation as to why this wealthy was a patriot from you. I place those who risk life and health in our military high on my list of PATRIOTS.

Actually, the proper pronoun ending ^ that last sentence ^ should be him — not he.

Think of it this way. Which of the following two sentences make sense?

1.) Did you know him? Or:
2.) Did you know he?

The first sentence above illustrates why the correct pronoun which should have been used is in fact him, not he.

It also illustrates the difference between when one should use the pronoun who, and when he/ she should use the pronoun whom.

If an interrogatory sentence poses the question, "Did you know him/ her?" then the correct pronoun for usage in a declarative or imperative sentence is whom — not who.

Had to point that out to you. You know, just because we're being persnickety and such. :D

RIP Mr. Scaife.

Billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife Dies At 82

Several foundations controlled by Scaife gave millions of dollars to organizations run by critics of Clinton, including $1.7 million for a project at the conservative American Spectator magazine to dig up information about his role in the Whitewater real estate scandal.

Scaife rarely gave interviews, but in a sit-down with George magazine editor John F. Kennedy Jr. in 1998, he called President Clinton "an embarrassment."

In the interview, Scaife denied that his money helped support an effort to hurt the president, but he suggested Clinton might be linked to the deaths of dozens of administration officials and associates, including White House Deputy Counsel Vince Foster and onetime Commerce Secretary Ron Brown. Foster's death was determined to be a suicide; Brown died in a plane crash.

Scaife also accused Kenneth Starr, the independent counsel whose investigation led to Clinton's impeachment in the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal, to be a "mole working for the Democrats."

Scaife's stance toward the Clintons softened years later. In an interview published in early 2008, he told Vanity Fair magazine he and the former president had a "very pleasant" lunch the previous summer, and "I never met such a charismatic man in my whole life."

Clinton gave Scaife an autographed copy of his book, and Scaife said he later sent $100,000 to the Clinton Global Initiative. (Scaife also said philandering "is something that Bill Clinton and I have in common.")...

...In 1972, Scaife donated $1 million to Nixon in 334 separate checks to avoid paying gift taxes. After The Associated Press wrote a story about the money, Scaife insisted the Tribune-Review get rid of its AP service.

"He ordered us to come in and take out the wire machines that night," Pat Minarcin, then AP's Pittsburgh bureau chief, told The Wall Street Journal for a 1995 story...

...He went to Yale but was expelled during his freshman year after a he rolled a beer keg down a flight of stairs, breaking the legs of a classmate, according to a 1999 story in The Washington Post.

Hmmmmm.... a great patriot? Hmmmm......

Actually, the proper pronoun ending ^ that last sentence ^ should be him — not he.

Think of it this way. Which of the following two sentences make sense?

1.) Did you know him? Or:
2.) Did you know he?

The first sentence above illustrates why the correct pronoun which should have been used is in fact him, not he.

It also illustrates the difference between when one should use the pronoun who, and when he/ she should use the pronoun whom.

If an interrogatory sentence poses the question, "Did you know him/ her?" then the correct pronoun for usage in a declarative or imperative sentence is whom — not who.

Had to point that out to you. You know, just because we're being persnickety and such. :D

RIP Mr. Scaife.

You are correct, and RIP also, he was a human, saw him later smeared by assiciation with the Clinton Global Intiative, I remembr now. If he made non politicial contributions to charity, he will be missed. Thank you for correcting my grammar.

Last edited:
I am understanding that he was an extremely rich man who also gave to charities and such, but also a political mover and shaker behind the scenes, which is also ok to me, it's part of the American Way. I'm cool with that.

But I fail to see how this makes him a great American hero.

Lots of rich people die all the time. RIP. Does that make them all heroes?

I am understanding that he was an extremely rich man who also gave to charities and such, but also a political mover and shaker behind the scenes, which is also ok to me, it's part of the American Way. I'm cool with that.

Noting their passing with admiration may help encourage others to give. RIP Mr. Scaife, again, some believe he was a Patriot for trying to bring down Clinton, that is their right.

It does if you equate the accumulation of wealth to greatness.

Forum List

Back