RIP Richard Mellon Scaife

I am understanding that he was an extremely rich man who also gave to charities and such, but also a political mover and shaker behind the scenes, which is also ok to me, it's part of the American Way. I'm cool with that.

But I fail to see how this makes him a great American hero.

Lots of rich people die all the time. RIP. Does that make them all heroes?

Noting their passing with admiration may help encourage others to give. RIP Mr. Scaife, again, some believe he was a Patriot for trying to bring down Clinton, that is their right.

Hmmmm, I just guess my definition of "patriot" carries something a little deeper than just partisan politics with it.

I am understanding that he was an extremely rich man who also gave to charities and such, but also a political mover and shaker behind the scenes, which is also ok to me, it's part of the American Way. I'm cool with that.

But I fail to see how this makes him a great American hero.

Lots of rich people die all the time. RIP. Does that make them all heroes?

Noting their passing with admiration may help encourage others to give. RIP Mr. Scaife, again, some believe he was a Patriot for trying to bring down Clinton, that is their right.

Hmmmm, I just guess my definition of "patriot" carries something a little deeper than just partisan politics with it.

As does mine, but Scaife did make many charitable contributions, and could alter his views, with experience. That is admirable.

Great men have great flaws.
But thank you for trying to sully the memory of a great man with your carping petting little chickenshit.

A novel excuse but there was nothing great about this loser.

He was just another tee potty who didn't even earn his own money.

He was an abusive alcoholic.

Can't you fools choose decent people for your hero?

He made more money, yes. And you do not know me, nor he:D

Actually, the proper pronoun ending ^ that last sentence ^ should be him — not he.

Think of it this way. Which of the following two sentences make sense?

1.) Did you know him? Or:
2.) Did you know he?

The first sentence above illustrates why the correct pronoun which should have been used is in fact him, not he.

It also illustrates the difference between when one should use the pronoun who, and when he/ she should use the pronoun whom.

If an interrogatory sentence poses the question, "Did you know him/ her?" then the correct pronoun for usage in a declarative or imperative sentence is whom — not who.

Had to point that out to you. You know, just because we're being persnickety and such. :D

RIP Mr. Scaife.

You are correct, and RIP also, he was a human, saw him later smeared by assiciation with the Clinton Global Intiative, I remembr now. If he made non politicial contributions to charity, he will be missed. Thank you for correcting my grammar.

Good riddance!

in the 1990s, he poured millions into what critics called a moral crusade against Mr. Clinton and his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, financing investigations by publications, notably the conservative American Spectator and his own Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, that were aimed at discrediting the Clintons.

They accused the Clintons of fraud in the Whitewater case, a failed real estate venture in the 1970s and ’80s, when Mr. Clinton was governor of Arkansas, and Mr. Clinton of sexual misconduct in liaisons with Paula Jones in Little Rock and Monica Lewinsky in the White House. They also charged that Vincent W. Foster Jr., a White House counsel and former law partner of Mrs. Clinton, had been murdered in 1993 in a Whitewater cover-up. Several investigations found that Mr. Foster had committed suicide.

A Vast Right-Wing Hypocrisy
Richard Mellon Scaife, billionaire bankroller of conservative crusades, spent heavily to expose Bill Clinton’s “Troopergate” misbehavior. Now Scaife’s divorce from his second wife, Ritchie, is providing another unsavory saga—adultery! addiction! assault! dognapping!?!—as both parties let loose to V.F.
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/02/scaife200802

Last edited:
Actually, the proper pronoun ending ^ that last sentence ^ should be him — not he.

Think of it this way. Which of the following two sentences make sense?

1.) Did you know him? Or:
2.) Did you know he?

The first sentence above illustrates why the correct pronoun which should have been used is in fact him, not he.

It also illustrates the difference between when one should use the pronoun who, and when he/ she should use the pronoun whom.

If an interrogatory sentence poses the question, "Did you know him/ her?" then the correct pronoun for usage in a declarative or imperative sentence is whom — not who.

Had to point that out to you. You know, just because we're being persnickety and such. :D

RIP Mr. Scaife.

You are correct, and RIP also, he was a human, saw him later smeared by assiciation with the Clinton Global Intiative, I remembr now. If he made non politicial contributions to charity, he will be missed. Thank you for correcting my grammar.

Good riddance!

in the 1990s, he poured millions into what critics called a moral crusade against Mr. Clinton and his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton, financing investigations by publications, notably the conservative American Spectator and his own Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, that were aimed at discrediting the Clintons.

They accused the Clintons of fraud in the Whitewater case, a failed real estate venture in the 1970s and ’80s, when Mr. Clinton was governor of Arkansas, and Mr. Clinton of sexual misconduct in liaisons with Paula Jones in Little Rock and Monica Lewinsky in the White House. They also charged that Vincent W. Foster Jr., a White House counsel and former law partner of Mrs. Clinton, had been murdered in 1993 in a Whitewater cover-up. Several investigations found that Mr. Foster had committed suicide.

Richard Mellon Scaife, billionaire bankroller of conservative crusades, spent heavily to expose Bill Clinton’s “Troopergate” misbehavior. Now Scaife’s divorce from his second wife, Ritchie, is providing another unsavory saga—adultery! addiction! assault! dognapping!?!—as both parties let loose to V.F.
A Vast Right-Wing Hypocrisy | Vanity Fair

Yet he changed his mind after meeting Clinton. His family foundation isn't as political as he once was, and 77 million isn't spare change.

Good riddance!

A Vast Right-Wing Hypocrisy | Vanity Fair

Yet he changed his mind after meeting Clinton. His family foundation isn't as political as he once was, and 77 million isn't spare change.

After the damage was done?

Did what he did to a man and his wife whom he never met?

good gawd, good riddance with an extra push

The President & First Lady? If that is the reference, both take heat, and though Clinton got more than his share, no one forces the job on another.

But thank you for trying to sully the memory of a great man with your carping petting little chickenshit.

You mean like Ted Kennedy?
At least Scaife didnt embarass the country and disgrace the Senate with his antics.

At least Scaife didnt embarass the country and disgrace the Senate with his antics.

Comparing the two is odd, but I thank you for spurring me to explore his life to an extent I had not before. RIP Scaife, I may have disagreed with things he did, but his charitable works live on.

The President & First Lady? If that is the reference, both take heat, and though Clinton got more than his share, no one forces the job on another.

My Dearest Imbecile, the campaign or personal destruction no matter the costs started far before Clinton was President

stop defending shit

[MENTION=20947]The Rabbi[/MENTION]

Ted Kennedy did more good for America than most men ever did

true story

Last edited:

Comparing the two is odd, but I thank you for spurring me to explore his life to an extent I had not before. RIP Scaife, I may have disagreed with things he did, but his charitable works live on.

Mellon Scaife's charitable works are mostly crap and political shit. He took over his mom's good works and soiled the name and foundations for ever

After his mother’s death in 1965, Mr. Scaife assumed direct control of the foundations and trusts she had created. He began shifting the focus of her foundations away from hospitals, universities and family planning to assorted political causes, and within a decade, the bulk of the money was going to conservative think tanks and activist groups.
Richard Mellon Scaife, billionaire who funded anti-liberal causes, dies at 82 - The Washington Post

After his father died in 1958, Mr. Scaife took his seats on corporate boards, but was given little to do in the family business, which was controlled by his uncle, R. K. Mellon. His mother, who backed medical and environmental causes, family planning and charities for the poor and disabled, encouraged his interest in philanthropy. He distributed money through the Sarah Scaife, Carthage and Allegheny Foundations.
Washingtonpost.com: Scaife's Foundations

Washingtonpost.com: Money, Family Name Shaped Scaife

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/05/u...e-influential-us-conservative-dies-at-82.html

true story

He died. But I guess a lot of people did that. Few with as much benefit to America so maybe you have a point.

true story

He died. But I guess a lot of people did that. Few with as much benefit to America so maybe you have a point.

HE made life better for more Jews than you ever could in twenty life times

true story

HE made life better for more Jews than you ever could in twenty life times

Only if they were his lawyers.
His entire career was a detriment to this country and every institution he was ever part of, from Harvard to the senate.

Forum List

Back