🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Rocket To Mars ?......Why ?

Seriously?

Just about every advancement in technology and many in medicine are from our exploration of space.
Nonsense. We got SOME advancements, but you are exaggerating. By far, most advancements in science and technology came long before space exploration started , or even the invention of airplanes.

Sounds like the space freaks have got you programmed.
Sounds like you're a stone ager.

No one has Me programed for anything. Idiotic thing to say.

Some?

NASA spinoff technologies - Wikipedia

Here is a list of 50 items we enjoy because of space exploration.

List: Stuff We Use Everyday That Was Invented From The Space Program

Get a grip.

Does anybody know why the Trump Administration thinks it to be a good idea to spend Billions$$ of our tax dollars, sending a rocket to Mars ? What could be the gain from an investment like that ? This is an important question since we're talking about a lot of money going out, when we have a $19 Trillion debt, and lots of other things needing money.

What makes this thing even more odd, is that at the same time this was planned, Trump was planning to cut the Coast Guard's budget by $1.3 Billion, which thankfully that bad idea has been scrapped, and the Coast Guard will now receive its full budget.

Feel free to input your top 2 suggestions of how else the Mars mission money could/should be better spent. There probably are hundreds of these.

First of all, why do you sound like someone from the 1950s? Rocket to Mars?

Look... We have NASA... we're paying for NASA. We're not going to dismantle NASA. Seems to me, going to Mars is a much better idea than promoting Islam or fighting Global Warming. If we are going to have and fund a NASA, may as well do Mars.

We've been thinking about this for years. We started thinking about it the day after we returned from the Moon. It's the next natural step and really, the only step we're likely to see in our lifetimes in terms of manned space travel. No other planets are suitable at this time. Unless we find some way to get a space ship through the Kuiper belt, we're limited to Mars and the Moon.

Mars is going to be much more challenging than the Moon. There is a lot less room for error. If we have an Apollo 13 type problem, we're dead. If we have a computer glitch or miscalculate something, we're dead. We could go there, have a successful mission and die re-entering the Earth's atmosphere. It's a dangerous mission and it will be exciting to see if we're ready for it.

We need to send R2D2 to Mars........not Buck Rogers

Lets send a robot probe that is capable of returning to earth with samples
What will a human do that a robot can't?
Especially one as charming as R2D2

Does anybody know why the Trump Administration thinks it to be a good idea to spend Billions$$ of our tax dollars, sending a rocket to Mars ? What could be the gain from an investment like that ? This is an important question since we're talking about a lot of money going out, when we have a $19 Trillion debt, and lots of other things needing money.

What makes this thing even more odd, is that at the same time this was planned, Trump was planning to cut the Coast Guard's budget by $1.3 Billion, which thankfully that bad idea has been scrapped, and the Coast Guard will now receive its full budget.

Feel free to input your top 2 suggestions of how else the Mars mission money could/should be better spent. There probably are hundreds of these.
The other planets, moons and asteroids within our solar system contain mineral and other resources and as our planet has a finite amount of resources, exploration and eventual resource gathering is necessary.

well there is already one up there we just cant get him back.....

We can send hundreds of probes to Mars for what it will cost for one manned mission

R2D2 does not need oxygen, does not need food, does not need space to move around or to be entertained for months on the journey to Mars. If R2D2 dies on Mars, nobody cares. There would never be any need to rescue R2D2. R2D2 can explore the surface of Mars for months not hours like a human.

Other than our Sci-Fi fantasies about a man on Mars....What value does a human add?

Actually, I was watching a documentary on the moon landings a while back and one of the astronauts touched on this very argument. I can't recall all the specifics but apparently, they were looking for good sample rocks to bring back. After a while, they had collected plenty of samples and he happened to look down and noticed a rock that was slightly different than the others, it was odd and he almost missed it. Turns out it was a very important puzzle piece in the mystery of how the moon formed. His argument was, that could have never happened with a robot. Because a thinking human mind was involved in making a rational determination on the spot, this most important sample was brought back and it confirmed a theory and changed history books forever.

Actually, I was watching a documentary on the moon landings a while back and one of the astronauts touched on this very argument. I can't recall all the specifics but apparently, they were looking for good sample rocks to bring back. After a while, they had collected plenty of samples and he happened to look down and noticed a rock that was slightly different than the others, it was odd and he almost missed it. Turns out it was a very important puzzle piece in the mystery of how the moon formed. His argument was, that could have never happened with a robot. Because a thinking human mind was involved in making a rational determination on the spot, this most important sample was brought back and it confirmed a theory and changed history books forever.

Maybe in 1972, but not as much now
Artificial Intelligence can make decisions. R2D2 is capable of not only looking at a rock but making on-the spot measurements to determine it's qualities. Humans back at earth are able to see what R2D2 is seeing and review his analysis of the rock sample to determine if it should be taken

Artificial Intelligence can make decisions. R2D2 is capable of not only looking at a rock but making on-the spot measurements to determine it's qualities. Humans back at earth are able to see what R2D2 is seeing and review his analysis of the rock sample to determine if it should be taken

Certain tech is better now but it can't replace human intelligence. This particular astronaut had a strong background in geology and he almost missed it. And it was something about the texture or color of the rock that was very slightly different from the others... it wasn't something a digital camera would have picked up. I just remember being of the same mindset as you on this and he convinced me there is a value to having a human there as opposed to a machine.

We can send hundreds of probes to Mars for what it will cost for one manned mission

R2D2 does not need oxygen, does not need food, does not need space to move around or to be entertained for months on the journey to Mars. If R2D2 dies on Mars, nobody cares. There would never be any need to rescue R2D2. R2D2 can explore the surface of Mars for months not hours like a human.

Other than our Sci-Fi fantasies about a man on Mars....What value does a human add?
not arguing that.....im saying if there is something of value like minerals....they need to be able to bring them back....

Certain tech is better now but it can't replace human intelligence. This particular astronaut had a strong background in geology and he almost missed it. And it was something about the texture or color of the rock that was very slightly different from the others... it wasn't something a digital camera would have picked up. I just remember being of the same mindset as you on this and he convinced me there is a value to having a human there as opposed to a machine.
Harrison Schmitt was a geologist. The other 11 men to walk on the moon looked for pretty rocks.
Even if it is conceivable a human may do somewhat better at spotting rocks, I am still skeptical that a single Mars landing of a few weeks will do a better job than hundreds or possibly thousands of rovers that can go out for years at the same cost

Watching men walk on the moon was one of my fondest memories. I will admit I would be excited watching men walk on Mars. But being pragmatic, I think rovers are better suited for space travel and cost significantly less

Harrison Schmitt was a geologist. The other 11 men to walk on the moon looked for pretty rocks.
Even if it is conceivable a human may do somewhat better at spotting rocks, I am still skeptical that a single Mars landing of a few weeks will do a better job than hundreds or possibly thousands of rovers that can go out for years at the same cost

Watching men walk on the moon was one of my fondest memories. I will admit I would be excited watching men walk on Mars. But being pragmatic, I think rovers are better suited for space travel and cost significantly less

I believe it was Schmitt. He made a convincing case, like I said.

I also enjoyed the moon landings and I think people would enjoy a trip to Mars. And we've been sending rovers, there's nothing wrong with that but there's only so much that can be done with unmanned missions. This won't be like the Moon shots, we already have the technology it's just a matter of putting it together and doing it. Yes, it's expensive but like I said, we're gonna spend money on NASA anyway, may as well do something cool. I'd rather NASA be doing this than promoting Islam or "researching" global warming.

It's a dead planet and not worth the money to go there. We need to invest in our own planet by saving it instead of finding another planet to oggle.

I wish I had facts for an informed opinion. I see the importance of scientific research, but my opinion would rest on the comparison of funding between medical research and the space program which I would rate first and second in our scientific budget.

As for the restoration of proposed cuts to the Coast Guard mentioned in the OP, the idea of cutting it in the first place worries me. Illegal immigration follows the path of least resistance. The building of the wall if it works as claims will transfer that weakness to our coastlines. I guess eventually some of the Border Patrol budget could be transferred.

Well look at the bright side, the more people that get sent to Mars that is less people that can lose their job and get welfare and food stamps, get sick and cost tax payers a bunch in health care, and one less person to get Social Security and Medicare. It's a win-win for Republicans.

I believe it was Schmitt. He made a convincing case, like I said.

I also enjoyed the moon landings and I think people would enjoy a trip to Mars. And we've been sending rovers, there's nothing wrong with that but there's only so much that can be done with unmanned missions. This won't be like the Moon shots, we already have the technology it's just a matter of putting it together and doing it. Yes, it's expensive but like I said, we're gonna spend money on NASA anyway, may as well do something cool. I'd rather NASA be doing this than promoting Islam or "researching" global warming.

By all means NASA does great work. But much of their work does not involve men in space. Putting a man in space serves a limited purpose....mostly, that we can do it
Space is so freak'n big that the ability of a man to not just survive years in space but probably generations in space to reach a distant planet does not seem plausible

The obvious answer to interstellar space travel is unmanned flights with rovers dropped to explore distant planets

Forum List

Back