Rosebud Sioux Tribe: House Vote On Keystone XL Pipeline An ‘Act Of War'

Hey, if they don't want the pipeline to cross the Reservation, it doesn't cross. I think they'd be nuts to not get income from this, but I don't have a vote.

I believe if they had any legal standing in this we'd have heard about it by now.......they're looking for a better payoff.

Here is the source article about the Indian claims.

Note this:
The Rosebud Sioux Tribe, along with several other South Dakota Tribes, are unified in opposition to risky and dangerous fossil fuel projects like TransCanada’s Keystone XL. The proposed route of TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline crosses directly through Great Sioux Nation (Oceti Sakowin) Treaty lands as defined by both the 1851 and 1868 Fort Laramie Treaties and within the current exterior boundaries of the Rosebud Sioux Reservation and Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation.

Now go and look up the maps for these lands and you will see how much are of the US the Indians are claiming is their land.

Keystone will happen. It might get stalled here and there, but eventually we win.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

2znmkgz.jpg

15xux68.gif

Gee. How many roads, bridges, and other infrastructure do you think is contained inside those boundaries?

Hey, if they don't want the pipeline to cross the Reservation, it doesn't cross. I think they'd be nuts to not get income from this, but I don't have a vote.

Please, they'd be compensated for it just like the Alaskan Native tribes were for the Alaska pipeline.

The following map illustrates the proposed route the Keystone XL Pipeline will take through the State of South Dakota. The proposed route comes into the state of South Dakota and passes through Harding, Perkins, Meade, Haakon, Jones, Lyman and Tripp counties, before crossing into Nebraska.

At no point will the proposed route cross into the Pine Ridge Reservation, as the following map clearly shows.

TransCanada Clarification Tar Sands Blockade Keystone XL Pipeline

Here's the map: http://keystone-xl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/South-Dakota-Map1.pdf

The president of South Dakota’s Rosebud Sioux (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) tribe has called the House of Representatives' vote to force approval of the Keystone XL pipelinean “act of war,” the Summit County Citizen's Voice reported on Saturday.

"The House has now signed our death warrants and the death warrants of our children and grandchildren. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe will not allow this pipeline through our lands,” President Cyril Scott said in a statement. “We will close our reservation borders to Keystone XL.”

Scott said he and other tribal elders have not been appropriately consulted on the pipeline, which would run through the tribe's land. He also contended the House vote violates the 1851 and 1868 Fort Laramie treaties, which gave the Black Hills to the Sioux Nation, according to the Summit County Citizen's Voice.

"The Lakota people have always been stewards of this land,” said Scott. “We feel it is imperative that we provide safe and responsible alternative energy resources not only to tribal members but to non-tribal members as well. We need to stop focusing and investing in risky fossil fuel projects like TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline. We need to start remembering that the earth is our mother and stop polluting her and start taking steps to preserve the land, water, and our grandchildren’s future."

The Rosebud tribe and other members of the Great Sioux Nation have adopted tribal resolutions opposing the Keystone XL project in February, according to the Grand Island Independent.

More: Rosebud Sioux Tribe: House Vote On Keystone XL Pipeline An 'Act Of War'

Do these Native Americans have rights - or not? It's their land - what's left of it.

LOL, bring it! I would like to see how that one ends!

I don't think the map shows the small portion of the Rosebud that is next to Pine Ridge, but I also think the pipeline is posed to "miss" the Reservation. As usual, the Indians get screwed. My grandparents' farm was very close to Pine Ridge. That is the absolute worst place I have ever seen.

I don't think the map shows the small portion of the Rosebud that is next to Pine Ridge, but I also think the pipeline is posed to "miss" the Reservation. As usual, the Indians get screwed. My grandparents' farm was very close to Pine Ridge. That is the absolute worst place I have ever seen.
They don't call it the "badlands" for nothing.

I don't think the map shows the small portion of the Rosebud that is next to Pine Ridge

Okay. Here's a map that does.

5tyobb.jpg

, but I also think the pipeline is posed to "miss" the Reservation.

Yes, if you check the pdf map I provided a few posts ago, the pipeline will miss both reservations. But the Indians said all the right buzz words about the environment and global warming, and so the rubes did not check their claims.

2pspx5s.jpg

The area I shaded in yellow is the Rosebud reservation. The green line is still the Keystone XL pipeline.

The Indian claim is bogus.

The president of South Dakota’s Rosebud Sioux (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) tribe has called the House of Representatives' vote to force approval of the Keystone XL pipelinean “act of war,” the Summit County Citizen's Voice reported on Saturday.

"The House has now signed our death warrants and the death warrants of our children and grandchildren. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe will not allow this pipeline through our lands,” President Cyril Scott said in a statement. “We will close our reservation borders to Keystone XL.”

Scott said he and other tribal elders have not been appropriately consulted on the pipeline, which would run through the tribe's land. He also contended the House vote violates the 1851 and 1868 Fort Laramie treaties, which gave the Black Hills to the Sioux Nation, according to the Summit County Citizen's Voice.

"The Lakota people have always been stewards of this land,” said Scott. “We feel it is imperative that we provide safe and responsible alternative energy resources not only to tribal members but to non-tribal members as well. We need to stop focusing and investing in risky fossil fuel projects like TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline. We need to start remembering that the earth is our mother and stop polluting her and start taking steps to preserve the land, water, and our grandchildren’s future."

The Rosebud tribe and other members of the Great Sioux Nation have adopted tribal resolutions opposing the Keystone XL project in February, according to the Grand Island Independent.

More: Rosebud Sioux Tribe: House Vote On Keystone XL Pipeline An 'Act Of War'

Do these Native Americans have rights - or not? It's their land - what's left of it.
It's their turf, if they don't want it to go through then it has to go around

the rest of the blithering nonsense? well :lol:

Forum List

Back