Rush is back!

We could call her Bill Maher, that is a disgusting hateful name.

Only to you guys.

I think he's sometimes funny, sometimes full of himself.

But unlike Limbaugh, he never claimed to be the voice of a movement.

:lmao:

It's really extraordinarily funny to see what kinds of things get so far under your thin skin.

Another GREAT job by Rush!

:clap:

Guy, used to listen to Limbaugh all the time. Even find him amusing.

But given that the women's vote gave the election to Obama, him screaming "Slut" on the air for three days didn't help your side that much, did it?

Aw, just pulling your chain, Pogo. :)

But seriously, if Air America had been able to generate any kind of steady market share and thereby attract advertisers, the scandals and shady operations would not have sunk them. George Soros could have bought a few ads for Moveon.org and written it off as charity to bail them out of their financial woes entirely. But even he saw the handwriting on the wall. People did not want to listen to Bush and Republican bashing 24/7 and nothing much else and with no market share, no advertisers were going to keep it afloat. Once Soros withdrew his support it was over.

[

Don't you presume to tell anyone what this thread is about. I posted it, not you and it's about advertisers flocking back to Limbaugh's show despite a few months ago, the liberal media writing his epitaph. Simply put, his ad revenue is back up because people want to put their name out there in front of the most people possible.
Limbaugh makes that possible for them

If his ad revenue were back, Cumulous wouldn't be talking about dumping his ass from the top 40 markets.

But seriously, if Air America had been able to generate any kind of steady market share and thereby attract advertisers, the scandals and shady operations would not have sunk them. George Soros could have bought a few ads for Moveon.org and written it off as charity to bail them out of their financial woes entirely. But even he saw the handwriting on the wall. People did not want to listen to Bush and Republican bashing 24/7 and nothing much else and with no market share, no advertisers were going to keep it afloat. Once Soros withdrew his support it was over.

Ì know you are. Besides, as far as "last word" you know as well as I that when someone is wrong on the internet it's our duty to act :cool:

So again, since the same hosts are doing the same thing on the same stations years later, and only their syndicator has changed, that pretty much eliminates the content as the source of the failure.

Again, not that I place personally much faith at all in the format (never cared for it myself); just a simple exercise in logic.

Still, those leftward hosts' numbers do pale in comparison to Limblob's. Not failing, but not setting the world on fire either. I'd still love to explore the varying psychologies of right and left audiences and why one approach works with one but not with the other. I'd posit that while the attack dog model works better for the right, the humor model works better for the left (e.g. Stewart, Colbert, Maher).

I'd like to go there, but this is Ernie's thread and if I take it off course he'll bite me. :eek:

I'll bring that to a new one sooner or later.

There is nobody who uses more humor than rightwing radio or televison hosts. But the liberal left doesn't see any humor in rightwing humor. The conservative right doesn't see much humor in leftwing humor. It's all relative.

That, of course, is a load of bull. Air America could not get stations to carry its programs. Right-wing giants like Clear Channel and Cumulus would not air it. For example, in my area there are two stations that carry your MessiahRushie and HanNITWITty but there were no stations that carried Air America so I never got the chance to even consider listening to it.

In the few markets where Air America got to compete with GOP hate radio they held their own and sometimes beat them.

There is nobody who uses more humor than rightwing radio or televison hosts. But the liberal left doesn't see any humor in rightwing humor. The conservative right doesn't see much humor in leftwing humor. It's all relative.
Well if you define humor as insults, you would be Right. Here is a tiny list of your MessiahRushie's favorite insults:

mind-numbed, know-nothing, bloated bigots acting as members of Congress

long-haired, maggot-infested, dope-smoking FM types

Algore
Former Vice President Al Gore.

Breck Girl
John Edwards.

Dingy Harry
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV)

Dung Heap Harkin
Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)

Environmentalist wacko

Feminazi

Frenchurian Candidate, the
2004 Democratic presidential candidate Senator John Kerry (D-MA)

NAGs (National Association of Gals)
National Organization for Women (NOW)

Nikita Dean
Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean.

Nostrilitis, Nostrildamus
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)

Senator Dick Turban
Senator Richard Durbin, (D-IL).

Senator Helmet Head
Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND)

Bite Me
VP Joe Biden

That, of course, is a load of bull. Air America could not get stations to carry its programs. Right-wing giants like Clear Channel and Cumulus would not air it. For example, in my area there are two stations that carry your MessiahRushie and HanNITWITty but there were no stations that carried Air America so I never got the chance to even consider listening to it.

In the few markets where Air America got to compete with GOP hate radio they held their own and sometimes beat them.

I don't know all the numbers but I've heard this comparison here and there too-- "Ed Schultz beats Rush Limbaugh in city X" ... but the larger anecdote is a ponderable point: as the purveyor of a new idea, AirAmerica would have had an uphill battle convincing stations to put them online with an untested format. The radio bidness, like bidness in general, is conservative and doesn't fall in easily with new ideas.

Of course once AA had its run and the attendant publicity, including that of its super-secret bankruptcy (no such thing as bad publicity), the idea was more proven and syndicators like Dial Global and Premiere took on the same hosts as clients. Obviously they wouldn't have done that if the format itself, rather than the specific business, had failed.

Last edited:
Well if you define humor as insults, you would be Right. Here is a tiny list of your MessiahRushie's favorite insults:

Algore

Breck Girl
John Edwards.

Dingy Harry

Dung Heap Harkin

Environmentalist wacko

Feminazi

Nikita Dean

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)

Senator Dick Turban

Senator Helmet Head

Bite Me
VP Joe Biden

Conspicuous in its absence is the White House Dog, but the pattern can't be missed here. The same as that stream of diarrhea from Ilar posted earlier; the old ad hominem. Again, that's what I've meant describing 'attack dog radio'.

It manifests in these forums (often verbatim) and it's worthless as argument. But it is emotional, and it does sell ears and ads. No question about that.

Last edited:

Algore

Breck Girl
John Edwards.

Dingy Harry

Dung Heap Harkin

Environmentalist wacko

Feminazi

Nikita Dean

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)

Senator Dick Turban

Senator Helmet Head

Bite Me
VP Joe Biden

Conspicuous in their absence is the White House Dog, but the pattern can't be missed here. The same as that stream of diarrhea from Ilar posted earlier; the old ad hominem. Again, that's what I've meant describing 'attack dog radio'.

It manifests in these forums (often verbatim) and it's worthless as argument. But it is emotional, and it does sell ears and ads. No question about that.

You call that 'attack radio?' Please tell me you jest. If you want to equate that with 'attack radio' I have REAMS of material to paint your guys with a much blacker brush.

And I would bet a good grilled cheese sandwich that you don't know the history behind and could not correctly define any of the "Rushisms" or why he humorously uses the characterizations he does. And I can assure you that there is a defnition and/or valid history behind each one.

Did I find them all humorous? No. I don't appreciate anybody, left or right, who makes fun of physical characteristics of anybody and Rush can be as guilty of poor taste as anybody else in that regard. And I've let him know it too. But attacks? No, that is not attack.

I have been for a while now. Takes you a lot of time to catch up. Mainly because you are sadly stupid.

Wrong. See? I told you that you were stupid.

If the things Rush chose to discuss were devoid of validity, he'd have no more of an audience than the assholes who tried (so poorly) to generate an audience at that liberal radio experiment. What a joke that was.

Wrong again assbreath. Emotions certainly play their role. But nobody would keep listening to an emotion-driven format if they did not find the insights of value. I mean, shit, little boy, we aren't all mindless liberals.

I'd pick apart the balance of your latest vapid posting effort, but frankly, you didn't have anything worth even responding to there.

Try harder. See if you can get an adult to assist you.

To put it somewhat more delicately :))), your thesis is quite accurate here. If fear mongering, hate mongering, emotionalism, drama, loathing, conspiracy theories, etc. sold, Air America would have been a HUGE success. That is absolutely all they offered.

But even though that stuff is useful for sound bites from the clueless on message boards--though they are just as boring here as they are on the radio--they aren't sufficient to hold a radio audience. Even liberals get bored when there is nothing else offered.

Rush characterizes things in ways that infuriate and frustrate the left--there is a whole long list of "Rush-isms" that they valiantly try to use to attack him but which none of them really understand or can or will describe accurately. He uses these in a format and delivery that is entertaining as well as informative. If it was ONLY entertainment, however, it too would become tiresome and boring. But because he uses entertaining delivery to bring us real substance and valid content, he can hold an audience for prolonged periods--often the entire three hours. And his ratings leave everybody else in the dust.

Well, that ^ was well said.

And, indeed, more delicately too.

:eusa_angel:

It was, but your comments were more entertaining. :D

Algore

Breck Girl
John Edwards.

Dingy Harry

Dung Heap Harkin

Environmentalist wacko

Feminazi

Nikita Dean

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)

Senator Dick Turban

Senator Helmet Head

Bite Me
VP Joe Biden

Conspicuous in their absence is the White House Dog, but the pattern can't be missed here. The same as that stream of diarrhea from Ilar posted earlier; the old ad hominem. Again, that's what I've meant describing 'attack dog radio'.

You call that 'attack radio?' Please tell me you jest. If you want to equate that with 'attack radio' I have REAMS of material to paint your guys with a much blacker brush.

And I would bet a good grilled cheese sandwich that you don't know the history behind and could not correctly define any of the "Rushisms" or why he humorously uses the characterizations he does. And I can assure you that there is a defnition and/or valid history behind each one.

Did I find them all humorous? No. I don't appreciate anybody, left or right, who makes fun of physical characteristics of anybody and Rush can be as guilty of poor taste as anybody else in that regard. And I've let him know it too. But attacks? No, that is not attack.

Take it up with Plato.

>> ad ho·mi·nem
[ad hom-uh-nuhm -nem, ahd‐] Show IPA
adjective
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

Compare ad feminam. << (dictionary.com)

Found at the top of any list of logical fallacies.

Take it up with Plato.

>> ad ho·mi·nem
[ad hom-uh-nuhm -nem, ahd&#8208;] Show IPA
adjective
1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

Compare ad feminam. << (dictionary.com)

Found at the top of any list of logical fallacies.

Sorry, but non sequitur to the issue. (I used to teach classes in logical fallacy.) Every one of Rush's "Rush-isms and characterizations" is rooted in history and has a logical explanation. Nor has he EVER, to the best of my knowledge, ever used such a characterization without giving a very clear, concise, and well executive explanation for why it is appropriate. One thng he is not guilty of is ad hominem.

You'll have to do better than that to make your case.

snip
...that Air America folded because of its internal business mismanagement. Even your "side" has had to admit that, yet you guys go on as if it was connected to the ideology

Yes! Exactly! It folded because of a failed management plan that put vapid liberal blather on the radio opposite substance, experience and a message that people wanted to hear.
Any pre-launch research would have pointed out that Liberals listen to Hip Hop and get their news from Jon Stewart.

So was it ideology? Meh, obama did win the last 2 elections, but what do you expect from an electorate half of whom get their news from a comedian.

Can't make up your mind? I've had daze like that.

This just in Buffy- I haven't opined here on Limblob's opinions. That's one of your ass-sumptions. The thread is about radio bloviator ratings and what drives them.
Sorry you came to it emptyhanded. Plan ahead next time.

Don't you presume to tell anyone what this thread is about. I posted it, not you and it's about advertisers flocking back to Limbaugh's show despite a few months ago, the liberal media writing his epitaph. Simply put, his ad revenue is back up because people want to put their name out there in front of the most people possible.

It is what it's about as far as what I've posted, Ernie, in contrast to the crap the Welsh Troll has been putting in my mouth. That was the point there.

Obviously we go on tangents, but if you want to go back to the ad factor, it's your thread.

Then YOU took it off topic. How DARE you accuse someone else who as you've said at one point hadn't contributed much substance to the thread.

Are you employing a Liberal debate tactic you learned at some Progressive summer camp or are you just that devoid of intellectual honesty?

Don't EVER come to my thread, go off on a tangent and accuse someone else of spamming. EVER!

[

If his ad revenue were back, Cumulous wouldn't be talking about dumping his ass from the top 40 markets.

The talk about Rush leaving Cumulus predates the ad revenue report. AND, it was Rush threatening to leave because they made him, their biggest money maker the scapegoat.

Desperation, Foxy. Doesn't suit you. Every pun is "rooted in history". Doesn't make it any less ad hominem. Attacking the character instead of the issue is still attacking the character instead of the issue.

snip
...that Air America folded because of its internal business mismanagement. Even your "side" has had to admit that, yet you guys go on as if it was connected to the ideology

Yes! Exactly! It folded because of a failed management plan that put vapid liberal blather on the radio opposite substance, experience and a message that people wanted to hear.
Any pre-launch research would have pointed out that Liberals listen to Hip Hop and get their news from Jon Stewart.

So was it ideology? Meh, obama did win the last 2 elections, but what do you expect from an electorate half of whom get their news from a comedian.

And again, maybe I'm posting this in Greek, but the same ideology from the same hosts on the same shows is still on the air years after AA went defunct. And as I pointed out to you waaaaay back, they're now syndicated by the same outfits that syndicate Limblob, Hannity and Dennis Miller (<<oh look, a comedian).

Since the ideology and the ideologues are a constant, that would eliminate the ideology as a source of failure, would it not?

Ì know you are. Besides, as far as "last word" you know as well as I that when someone is wrong on the internet it's our duty to act :cool:

So again, since the same hosts are doing the same thing on the same stations years later, and only their syndicator has changed, that pretty much eliminates the content as the source of the failure.

Again, not that I place personally much faith at all in the format (never cared for it myself); just a simple exercise in logic.

Still, those leftward hosts' numbers do pale in comparison to Limblob's. Not failing, but not setting the world on fire either. I'd still love to explore the varying psychologies of right and left audiences and why one approach works with one but not with the other. I'd posit that while the attack dog model works better for the right, the humor model works better for the left (e.g. Stewart, Colbert, Maher).

I'd like to go there, but this is Ernie's thread and if I take it off course he'll bite me. :eek:

I'll bring that to a new one sooner or later.

Has anyone here, other than you insultingly altered a media personality's name? Has any Conservative mentioned Rachel Madcow or Al Frankenstein?

Cool the ugliness in your rhetoric and you might be treated more kindly.

[

The talk about Rush leaving Cumulus predates the ad revenue report. AND, it was Rush threatening to leave because they made him, their biggest money maker the scapegoat.

And the fact remains that Rush leaves the competition behind in his dust. The only one with comparable ratings is Sean Hannity and, while he has his own following, that is likely largely due to the fact that he immediately follows Rush in a lot of big markets and Rush's audience doesn't bother to change the station. Even Sean acknowledges that Rush is #1 and has never been equalled.

And as much as it galls the Left, and as Obama himself has now noted, every time they go after Rush or his advertisers, Rush's ratings spike way up. And he no doubt gains some converts from those who tune in to see what all the bruhaha is about.

And regardless of their personal ideology, advertisers like to spend their dollars on ads that will be heard by as many people as possible, most especially in a demographic that would likely be interested in the ad.

To put it somewhat more delicately :))), your thesis is quite accurate here. If fear mongering, hate mongering, emotionalism, drama, loathing, conspiracy theories, etc. sold, Air America would have been a HUGE success. That is absolutely all they offered.

But even though that stuff is useful for sound bites from the clueless on message boards--though they are just as boring here as they are on the radio--they aren't sufficient to hold a radio audience. Even liberals get bored when there is nothing else offered.

Rush characterizes things in ways that infuriate and frustrate the left--there is a whole long list of "Rush-isms" that they valiantly try to use to attack him but which none of them really understand or can or will describe accurately. He uses these in a format and delivery that is entertaining as well as informative. If it was ONLY entertainment, however, it too would become tiresome and boring. But because he uses entertaining delivery to bring us real substance and valid content, he can hold an audience for prolonged periods--often the entire three hours. And his ratings leave everybody else in the dust.

Well, that ^ was well said.

And, indeed, more delicately too.

:eusa_angel:

It was, but your comments were more entertaining. :D

:)

Poor little pin head ploddo would never agree.

He will cry himself to sleep over the fact that folks who have noted his abject lack of logic are also being mean old meanies.

They use <<splutter splutter>> "ad hominems!" Those mean old meanies.

I'll be blunt again. For a guy who likes to pontificate as some kind of "expert" [ :lmao: ] on the subject, he sure has nothing to say.

Forum List

Back