Russias money issue

Plasmaball

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2010
Russian markets nosedive as Ukraine panic takes hold
Investors in Russia reacted with panic Monday to the potentially disastrous economic consequences of Russian military intervention in Ukraine, with Moscow stock markets crashing up to 12 percent and the ruble plunging to historic lows against the dollar and euro.

In an emergency move to limit the losses for the ruble amid what risks becoming at least Russia's worst economic crisis since 2009, Russia's central bank hiked its main interest rate by 150 basis points.

So if we take a logical no partisan view of whats going on here. Russia wont be able to handle the west shunning them economically. Russia is thin on money and this move they are making isnt a smart one after spending 50 Billion on the Olympics.

In a sense If obama is behind this then its a page from Reagan who spend along the USSR collapse by out spending them. The thing to take away from this is the fact that if you want to hurt Russia. Take away the wallet.

Or we can do what Retiredretardsgt wanted to do and put troops on the ground and start WW3.

Id rather this be solved without a bullet being fired.

using the $$ wedge would take time, this won't happen overnight, they should have started already if thats the way to go and I agree that would have an effect, but, iran has had a much shitteir economy for years and the mullahs have kept on keeping on, when a country is under control as Putin controls Russia, he may try and ride it out, and remember, he supplies how much energy product to Europe?

using the $$ wedge would take time, this won't happen overnight, they should have started already if thats the way to go and I agree that would have an effect, but, iran has had a much shitteir economy for years and the mullahs have kept on keeping on, when a country is under control as Putin controls Russia, he may try and ride it out, and remember, he supplies how much energy product to Europe?

his only backer right now may be china. Beyond that nobody is going to back him.
Sadly Putin has been looking to do this for a long time. Sadly it just happened under Obamas watch.

Hmmmmmmmmm............ Trajan, you have a very salient point concerning the energy. Wonder why Germany and the other EU nations have spent so much on alternative energy?

Well, those who would resolve this quickly all point to a military solution. Between two nations with the nuclear capability to destroy the world many times over. I don't think so. So, the long and painful solutions are what will have to be applied.

Well there's a big issue about energy as Trajan has duly pointed out. Look at the map and see where the pipelines originate.

1.jpg

And then this. Check out what the Spanish FM said in the last line.

Russia’s partners in the Group of Eight (Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Canada, the United States, France, and Japan) are not discussing a boycott of the G8 summit in Sochi in June, Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini said after an urgent meeting of the EU foreign ministers on Ukraine held on Monday, March 3.

The communique adopted unanimously after a long discussion and released by the White House does not call for boycotting the summit but calls for suspending the G7 countries’ participation in the preparatory meetings, she said.

This does not mean that the G8 format no longer exists, the minister added.

Her Spanish colleague Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said sanctions against Russia over Ukraine would be unjustified.

Russia's G8 partners not discussing boycott of summit in Sochi ? Italian FM - News - Politics - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Hmmmmmmmmm............ Trajan, you have a very salient point concerning the energy. Wonder why Germany and the other EU nations have spent so much on alternative energy?

Well, those who would resolve this quickly all point to a military solution. Between two nations with the nuclear capability to destroy the world many times over. I don't think so. So, the long and painful solutions are what will have to be applied.

Germany is now upping its use of coal and its subsidies for solar et al are in very serious jeopardy, the economist had a great article on the issue, google. So they are energy as is other portions of Europe to energy blackmail. AND, they know he'll do it if he thinks it will help him.

his only backer right now may be china. Beyond that nobody is going to back him.
Sadly Putin has been looking to do this for a long time. Sadly it just happened under Obamas watch.

china will back him by allowing it to be known their veto on the sec. council is assured regards any action agasint russia..

they are watching this very closely, they have already been extending their reach over the eat china sea and this can only help them.

and for reasons that completely flummox me, we have all of our pacific carriers sitting in ports.....

This mess should have been handled diplomatically behind closed doors right from the get go. My Prime Minister, my Foreign Minister, Obama, Kerry, Cameron all started strutting like banty roosters and threatening when they should have kept their mouths shut and picked up that phone before giving the world all the stupid sound bites they did.

The is a bipartisan rant. I am really really angry that my Conservative Minister of Foreign Affairs shot his mouth the way he did.

And I thought I'd pass out when I heard this montage of Kerry's stupid comments. Calling Putin "weak" isn't going to give Putin any warm and fuzzies in the near future.

china will back him by allowing it to be known their veto on the sec. council is assured regards any action agasint russia..

they are watching this very closely, they have already been extending their reach over the eat china sea and this can only help them.

and for reasons that completely flummox me, we have all of our pacific carriers sitting in ports.....

i dont know if military show of dominance is the answer honestly. Not when they have nukes as well. Seems like some groups are trying to bring us down.

Our financial markets took a hit too. Of course if China were to stop lending us money we would be in the shitter.

So far everything obama threatened can't be done. Not even Britain will go along with sanctions. Germany has nixed freezing Russian assets and no one but obama wants to mess with the G8.

obama fires back with an American military drag queen ball. The isolation obama thinks will happen to Russia will happen to the US.

With an advisor in the State Department like John Kerry, we are seeing the fruits of his Utopian goals. :doubt:

Investors in Russia reacted with panic Monday to the potentially disastrous economic consequences of Russian military intervention in Ukraine, with Moscow stock markets crashing up to 12 percent and the ruble plunging to historic lows against the dollar and euro.

In an emergency move to limit the losses for the ruble amid what risks becoming at least Russia's worst economic crisis since 2009, Russia's central bank hiked its main interest rate by 150 basis points.

So if we take a logical no partisan view of whats going on here. Russia wont be able to handle the west shunning them economically. Russia is thin on money and this move they are making isnt a smart one after spending 50 Billion on the Olympics.

In a sense If obama is behind this then its a page from Reagan who spend along the USSR collapse by out spending them. The thing to take away from this is the fact that if you want to hurt Russia. Take away the wallet.

Or we can do what Retiredretardsgt wanted to do and put troops on the ground and start WW3.

What makes you think Russia will be crushed economically? Oh yeah, you're ignorant and not very bright.
Russia has oil, minerals, timber, and furs which it exports in decent quantities. Recall that economic interdependence goes both ways.

Russia , surprise, surprise, is one of the biggest producers of the dreaded stuff known as fossil fuel. Hussein knows it and the stock market dropped a hundred points because they know it. The problem is that the low information left ain't got a clue that crude oil still makes the world go around.

Part of the problem is that the demographics of Russia and China really suck and the trump cards of Keystone, East African and Brazilian pipelines are off the table. Could we take out Russia and China with pipeline loans denominated in dollars? Yeah

Will we do it? Not with D donors bitching about Obama's environmental record.

Russia’s partners in the Group of Eight (Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Canada, the United States, France, and Japan) are not discussing a boycott of the G8 summit in Sochi in June, Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini said after an urgent meeting of the EU foreign ministers on Ukraine held on Monday, March 3.

The communique adopted unanimously after a long discussion and released by the White House does not call for boycotting the summit but calls for suspending the G7 countries’ participation in the preparatory meetings, she said.

Her Spanish colleague Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said sanctions against Russia over Ukraine would be unjustified.

Russia's G8 partners not discussing boycott of summit in Sochi ? Italian FM - News - Politics - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video
In other words a whole lot of farting by American political experts on the MSM and on these forums, but nothing more other than that?

In other words a whole lot of farting by American political experts on the MSM and on these forums, but nothing more other than that?

So far that seems to be the lot of it. A lot of scolding, chest thumping and banty rooster strutting going on but not much else. And for all the editorials I've seen saying the EU should have enough energy till next fall one place for certain doesnt and that's the Ukraine.

Putin will push back.

Get some popcorn ready because we are watching global chicken.

And if these sons of bitches (including my Conservative government) start messing around with sanctions that drive the price of gas sky high AND don't start keeping their noses out of other countries business AND freaking keep sending our tax dollars to back countries that we can't afford to support then our own governments will face rebellions in their own back yards.

Oh and this.

One thing they can do right away is work with the administration to help provide a package of assistance to Ukraine, to the people, to the government,' Mr Obama said.

'At this stage, there should be unanimity among Democrats and Republicans … We should be able to come up with a unified position that stands outside of partisan politics. My expectation is that I'll be able to able to get Congress to work with us in order to be able to achieve that goal.'

But allies such as France believe there are few options beyond that. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Russia's control of Crimea would not be easy to resolve.

US and Europe try to rally Western front vs Russia | Mail Online

If we want to see Putin removed from power and to see Russia bleed to death monetarily, now would be the time to go Reagan on Russia. Putin opened the door, so now we can close it. It's time that we offer our defenses directly to former Soviet Bloc countries including Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, and so forth. Establishing military bases in these countries would not lead to WWIII, but it would make Russia rethink their aggressive moves in the future. There is not a thing Putin could do other than declaring war, which would be disasterous for Russia. More likely than not, he would be removed from power as Russians finally understood how dangerous he has become.

Energy is the key.

Things like sanctions requires more than just time - they require the cooperation of much of the world - something that is not going to happen if Russia controls the oil taps for them. Sanctions are an impossibility in such a case.

He has backing via natural gas to Europe and oil to China.
What is Europe going to do? Shut the gas off?? Uh...no.
Everybody is talking about this in economic terms, you don't think Putin knew the market/bank outcomes of this? Of course he did.
He is not an American, therefore he is not looking at this as an American would. Same as mentioned above in Iran, these people are not like us. They do not value human life or the welfare of the citizenry like we do. They have no problem placing heavy burdens on their people if they themselves benefit.
IMO - Putin has gone too far to back out now. He would be the laughing stock of the world and appear weak if he withdraws troops. He will take Ukraine.

Forum List

Back