RW’s: because children have freedom of speech, does that mean kids should own guns too?

They don't have the same freedom of speech as adults. Public schools restrict their freedom of speech all the time. In fact, public universities have "speech codes" that restrict their students' freedom of speech.

You're just plain wrong.
Um no I’m not because they are never charged with a crime. The same logic applies to adults who are punished for any dumb shit they say that violate the standards of their employment.

Your employer isn't the government. Your employer can make what you say a condition of your employment. However, a public school is the government. Public schools cannot punish parents or their children for anything the parents say, but it can punish their kids for stuff the kids say or that they wear on a T-shirt. It's been doen many times, and the fact that the punishment doesn't reach the level of a felony isn't the reason it's allowed. It's not allowed if you are an adult.
I don’t know how else to explain this to you. Kids are NEVER charged with a crime for saying anything. That’s the point. When kids register to a school, they are bound by the rules of the school but that contract isn’t legally binding. If a kid got detention saying something, the kid still has the legal right to not go. They will not be legally punished for doing this.

No, eventually the kid will get suspended from that school.
Just as an adult will get fired from their job.

The Constitution doesn't apply to non-government entities. It tells us what the government can and cannot do, not your boss. You have no constitutional rights with your employer.

You are so fucking dumb. You can’t address the actual points in my thread and you’re too much of a pussy to admit it.

You made no salient point. You are equating children's alleged first amendment right to the 2nd amendment as if they are somehow related. Should children be allowed to have consensual sex with an adult because that should be their right? We have first amendment rights but there can also be consequences for it. The first amendment protects free speech, the second amendment insures the first.

You are an intellectual lightweight and you have got nothing.
Um gun retards like you like think any gun control laws are unconstitutional yet you will support laws that bar 5 year olds from purchasing a gun. That’s the point. The first amendment applies to ALL Americans yet common sense law prevents kids from buying guns. According to your logic about limiting the 2nd amendment, it SHOULD be legal for kids to own guns.

The courts have ruled that children do have some rights, but not all. It's based on their age and what particular right is in question.

A child cannot tell his government teacher to F-off and then expect the constitution to protect him or her. The child is not allowed to vote. A child is not constitutionally protected by the Equal Protection law compared to an adult. They are protected by Equal Protection in cases that involve all children. A child cannot pursue a lawsuit because they can't drink alcohol but adults can.

Therefore, no, a child does not have a constitutional right to buy and own a firearm.
What this boils down to is what the 1st and 2nd amendments say and do not say. Children have the same freedom of speech protections as adults. Just because there are consequences to what kids say, it doesn’t mean it is ever illegal for them to say them. They’ll never be charged with a crime for saying anything. Adults have the same problem. Just see what happens to your job if you tell that hot new intern she has a nice ass right in front of your boss.

Common sense law prevents kids from purchasing guns despite the fact that the amendment says nothing about children. If you gun nuts have the mentality that any current gun control laws proposed by lawmakers are unconstitutional, then your logic would have to apply to kids being legallly able to purchase and own firearms.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying a child has the right to vote. They do not. What the Constitution doesn't say--the courts do. That's why we have courts.
Yes and the constitution specifies that they must be 18. That’s the difference.

Um no I’m not because they are never charged with a crime. The same logic applies to adults who are punished for any dumb shit they say that violate the standards of their employment.

Your employer isn't the government. Your employer can make what you say a condition of your employment. However, a public school is the government. Public schools cannot punish parents or their children for anything the parents say, but it can punish their kids for stuff the kids say or that they wear on a T-shirt. It's been doen many times, and the fact that the punishment doesn't reach the level of a felony isn't the reason it's allowed. It's not allowed if you are an adult.
I don’t know how else to explain this to you. Kids are NEVER charged with a crime for saying anything. That’s the point. When kids register to a school, they are bound by the rules of the school but that contract isn’t legally binding. If a kid got detention saying something, the kid still has the legal right to not go. They will not be legally punished for doing this.

Your employer is not the government, numskull. A public school is the government.
It doesn’t matter if a public school is government. No law is being committed. Hell private schools have the same authority over kids.

What this boils down to is what the 1st and 2nd amendments say and do not say. Children have the same freedom of speech protections as adults. Just because there are consequences to what kids say, it doesn’t mean it is ever illegal for them to say them. They’ll never be charged with a crime for saying anything. Adults have the same problem. Just see what happens to your job if you tell that hot new intern she has a nice ass right in front of your boss.

Common sense law prevents kids from purchasing guns despite the fact that the amendment says nothing about children. If you gun nuts have the mentality that any current gun control laws proposed by lawmakers are unconstitutional, then your logic would have to apply to kids being legallly able to purchase and own firearms.

They don't have the same freedom of speech as adults. Public schools restrict their freedom of speech all the time. In fact, public universities have "speech codes" that restrict their students' freedom of speech.

You're just plain wrong.

There is no "contract" when you send your kid to a public school. The school district simply imposes its rules whether you like it or not. You don't even have a choice about which public school you send your kid to. If your kid breaks the school rules he can be suspended, repremanded, expelled or a suffer a host of other punishments. The fact that these aren't criminal punishments is irrelevent. They are still punishments imposed by the government.

Now, I know your answer to that is “no”, but think about this: what does that say about the 2nd amendment’s limitations? Doesn’t that mean gun control already has a legal precedent? If you think current gun control laws are illegal, then WHY would giving guns to kids be an exception when we think about the legal bounds of the constitution? After all kids are not at all mentioned in the amendment.

As a child I had full access to guns and ammo all my life, I was given my first gun for my birthday at the age of 12. The difference between now and then, people don't teach their children that actions have consequences and personal responsibility. Children back then were taught never to consider aiming a gun at another person, of course we were also taught to respect teachers and police. If we violated those rules there was a major price to pay, thanks to you regressives, it's not like that anymore.

So take your little play gotcha questions and shove it up your ass, people like you are responsible for the shape this country is in today. Enjoy MF.

lol what’s funny about this, ok Texas, is that you actually think your anecdotal experience as a child somehow serves as an example of legal precedent of anything.
Kids across the street would go to local lake to take their baths. I would grab my shotgun at the age of 12 and stand gator guard. Had 8 kids in that 3 bedroom house. We were raised better back then.

You made no salient point. You are equating children's alleged first amendment right to the 2nd amendment as if they are somehow related. Should children be allowed to have consensual sex with an adult because that should be their right? We have first amendment rights but there can also be consequences for it. The first amendment protects free speech, the second amendment insures the first.

Um gun retards like you like think any gun control laws are unconstitutional yet you will support laws that bar 5 year olds from purchasing a gun. That’s the point. The first amendment applies to ALL Americans yet common sense law prevents kids from buying guns. According to your logic about limiting the 2nd amendment, it SHOULD be legal for kids to own guns.

The courts have ruled that children do have some rights, but not all. It's based on their age and what particular right is in question.

A child cannot tell his government teacher to F-off and then expect the constitution to protect him or her. The child is not allowed to vote. A child is not constitutionally protected by the Equal Protection law compared to an adult. They are protected by Equal Protection in cases that involve all children. A child cannot pursue a lawsuit because they can't drink alcohol but adults can.

Therefore, no, a child does not have a constitutional right to buy and own a firearm.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying a child has the right to vote. They do not. What the Constitution doesn't say--the courts do. That's why we have courts.

In other words, if he's not a child. If he is a child, then his right to vote doesn't exist.

You invalidated your own argument.

Now, I know your answer to that is “no”, but think about this: what does that say about the 2nd amendment’s limitations? Doesn’t that mean gun control already has a legal precedent? If you think current gun control laws are illegal, then WHY would giving guns to kids be an exception when we think about the legal bounds of the constitution? After all kids are not at all mentioned in the amendment.

Yes. Kids do own guns. Next

In High School my Ag teacher would've flunked me if I didn't have a knife and given me a D if it was in my pocket and not hanging on my belt.

Oh, so that's the game you want to play? How about this: a child does not have a constitutional protection from search and seizure. If a school suspects somebody may have a deadly weapon or narcotics, they have the right to search any and all lockers that they desire, and they don't need a warrant.

Your employer is not the government, numskull. A public school is the government.
It doesn’t matter if a public school is government. No law is being committed. Hell private schools have the same authority over kids.

"No law is being committed?" I don't even know what that means. The law says the schools can impose rules on your kids about what they can say. That's the bottom line.

Private schools can do the same, but they aren't the government. You can take your money elsewhere if you don't like their rules.

In other words, if he's not a child. If he is a child, then his right to vote doesn't exist.

Um no. All this goes back to my original point about arbitrary gun control laws being constitutional because the 2nd amendment makes no mention of it.

Oh, so that's the game you want to play? How about this: a child does not have a constitutional protection from search and seizure. If a school suspects somebody may have a deadly weapon or narcotics, they have the right to search any and all lockers that they desire, and they don't need a warrant.
Lol um yeah but that also applies to an adult at work. The employer has the right to search through an employee’s desk if they feel they must.

You're just plain wrong.

There is no "contract" when you send your kid to a public school. The school district simply imposes its rules whether you like it or not. You don't even have a choice about which public school you send your kid to. If your kid breaks the school rules he can be suspended, repremanded, expelled or a suffer a host of other punishments. The fact that these aren't criminal punishments is irrelevent. They are still punishments imposed by the government.

Yes, I believe that was a silly statement. After all, we've all been to school, and I can't remember me or my parents signing a contract of any kind. They did however provide sheets of rules students must adhere to when you enroll.

Um no. All this goes back to my original point about arbitrary gun control laws being constitutional because the 2nd amendment makes no mention of it.
Right, it undermines your original point.

Yes, I believe that was a silly statement. After all, we've all been to school, and I can't remember me or my parents signing a contract of any kind. They did however provide sheets of rules students must adhere to when you enroll.
Private schools have the same authority as public schools.

Lol um yeah but that also applies to an adult at work. The employer has the right to search through an employee’s desk if they feel they must.

That's because your employer owns that desk. It's in his or her office. Lockers on the other hand is government property.

Right, it undermines your original point.
Nope, not at all.

Private schools have the same authority as public schools.

Yes they do, is there a point to that???

Billy000 is one of those numskulls that believes in the "social contract." He believes we all agreed to be taxed and regulated by the government. Sorry, but I don't recall agreeing to any such thing, ever.

That's because your employer owns that desk. It's in his or her office. Lockers on the other hand is government property.
The lockers belong to the institution just as the lockers belong to the institution of a private school.

Forum List

Back