Ryan: There will be no tariffs for companies that take jobs overseas

Trump doesn't need Ryan's permission.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/u...rt-a-trade-war-with-surprising-ease.html?_r=0

Mr. Trump has said that as president he would “rip up” international trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement, withdraw from the World Trade Organization and sharply raise the tariffs charged on goods imported from China and Mexico. As president he could pretty much do it. And there’s very little Congress can do to stop him, even if the result is a costly trade war.

What Trump doesn't know -- probably because he didn't borrow Khizr Khan's copy of the Constitution -- is that his ability as President to impose a tariff exists only because Congress has delegated that authority to Presidents. What Congress giveth, Congress can taketh away.
Trump emasculated the Republican Party.
They don't have the backbone to fight back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/u...rt-a-trade-war-with-surprising-ease.html?_r=0

Mr. Trump has said that as president he would “rip up” international trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement, withdraw from the World Trade Organization and sharply raise the tariffs charged on goods imported from China and Mexico. As president he could pretty much do it. And there’s very little Congress can do to stop him, even if the result is a costly trade war.

What Trump doesn't know -- probably because he didn't borrow Khizr Khan's copy of the Constitution -- is that his ability as President to impose a tariff exists only because Congress has delegated that authority to Presidents. What Congress giveth, Congress can taketh away.

With a 2/3 majority.

Good luck getting that

Because a pro-jobs trade policy and deporting illegals are so crazy?

LOL!!

In the land of the Mad, the sane are vilified.
A policy of massive artificial controls on trade and the free market has never once in all of history been pro-jobs.

In the land of the mad, the mad are elected President.

Sure it was. See the 19th century.
When much of our economy was driven by hunan slave labor? Jesus fucking Christ you loon.

I was thinking more of the growth of the industrial north including after the Civil War, and calling me a name does not change the historical facts.

Dumbass.

Yeah it was tariffs that powered the American industrial revolution :rolleyes:

Do you want to back up your disagreement with something other than an emoticon?

A policy of massive artificial controls on trade and the free market has never once in all of history been pro-jobs.

When much of our economy was driven by hunan slave labor? Jesus fucking Christ you loon.

I was thinking more of the growth of the industrial north including after the Civil War, and calling me a name does not change the historical facts.

Dumbass.

It was slave labor.

Because the Old South became the industrial heartland of the nation.

NOT!

Trump emasculated the Republican Party.
They don't have the backbone to fight back.

Hopefully.

Looks like Donald Trump doesn't even have a mandate in his own party:
“We’re not going to be raising tariffs,” Ryan said on “The Hugh Hewitt Show.”
- See more at: Ryan Bucks Trump, Says Congress Will Not Raise Tariffs

Companies that were scared about sending jobs to Mexico can now be in peace again.

It is also possible that Trump always knew that there would be no tariffs, but used this promise to make gullible protectionist vote for him.
Did you actually read the article?

'“He strongly supports making our tax system border adjustable by exempting exports from tax and subjecting imports to tax,” she added, referring to a proposal in House Republicans’ tax overhaul blueprint that calls for moving to a “cash-flow based approach” to taxing businesses.'

"subjecting imports to tax" is what Trump promised to do with some imports. Clearly Ryan and Trump are on the same page on this.

So a tariff is or isn't a tax?
Of course, it is so we have to assume there was some confusion in the interview. Ryan's office made it plain he supports taxes on some imports as Trump does, so perhaps Ryan was thinking of tariff being a broad tax on a category of imports rather than the more targeted tax Trump has spoken of.

Dumbass.

People and advancements in technology powered the industrial revolution. Not big government

Dumbass.

People and advancements in technology powered the industrial revolution. Not big government

Behind the protections of high tariffs.

Dumbass.

High tariffs do not create anything. I never thought I'd see the day republicans turned to taxation for answers. The only good thing about your party is gone.

Dumbass.

Robber Barons who paid off politicians to use State Militias and Federal Troops to maim and kill those who wouldn't accept the shitty conditions they had to endure to make the few wealthy.

Dumbass.

Robber Barons who paid off politicians to use State Militias and Federal Troops to maim and kill those who wouldn't accept the shitty conditions they had to endure to make the few wealthy.
That too. But not tariffs.

Dumbass.

We didn't need tariffs when people were slaves and our "Representatives" didn't care about anything but making money.

It's a shame that Trump doesn't understand how the government works and his promises won't come to pass. It means Trump voters won't learn how horrible the things they support can be.

LOL!!

After eight horrible years we are fixing to have a leader back in the white house.

It's a shame that Trump doesn't understand how the government works and his promises won't come to pass. It means Trump voters won't learn how horrible the things they support can be.

LOL!!

After eight horrible years we are fixing to have a leader back in the white house.
Maybe in 2020

LOL!!

Maybe in 2020
After Trumps reelection?

Dumbass.

High tariffs do not create anything. I never thought I'd see the day republicans turned to taxation for answers. The only good thing about your party is gone.

You made a claim about tariffs never being pro-jobs.

I have cited a very large historical example disproving your claim.

That is where we are at.

We didn't need tariffs when people were slaves and our "Representatives" didn't care about anything but making money.

The government of the time disagreed.

And that policy continued on long after the slavery issue was resolved.

That is where we are at.
No you didn't. You presented a period of history with countless numbers of variables, and attributed economic growth to an artificial control that by it's own nature makes it more difficult and expensive to create or grow anything.

LOL!!

Maybe in 2020
After Trumps reelection?
Trump may not even by alive then, much less still President and able to run for reelection.

That is where we are at.
No you didn't. You presented a period of history with countless numbers of variables, and attributed economic growth to an artificial control that by it's own nature makes it more difficult and expensive to create or grow anything.

You made a claim about history, ie that tariffs were never pro-job,

and now you are citing issues that would make ANY historical example not applicable.

How do you propose we judge your historical claim if we are not allowed to use historical examples?

Forum List

Back