🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Salt Lake City going solar

Salt Lake City is going solar. Will cost about 2% more than present day energy costs. However, I am sure, by the time it gets fully online, it will be cheaper than fossil fuel costs.

Good luck sitting in the dark freezing because of no electricity.
1639206529761.jpeg

1639206652657.png

Do you have any concept of the ANGLE OF INCIDENCE? The further that solar energy has to go through the atmosphere the less hits the surface where your solar panels are...
Yes, that's correct
BY the way, during the winter it is almost perpetual night.
Yes, in the arctic there are periods of no sun, as is true to for the antarctic
There is very little energy that makes it to the surface.
The word 'little' doesn't describe the amount of energy reaching the earth.
You and Old Crock have eaten the whole pile of bull shit... all by yourselves...
No, neither of us have IMO. I'm not making claims that aren't true but if you think I have then you'll have to produce something better than 'little'.
I posted a link that shows solar energy is feasible in Finland.

Yes, that's correct

Yes, in the arctic there are periods of no sun, as is true to for the antarctic

The word 'little' doesn't describe the amount of energy reaching the earth.

No, neither of us have IMO. I'm not making claims that aren't true but if you think I have then you'll have to produce something better than 'little'.
I posted a link that shows solar energy is feasible in Finland.
Read your Finland link... It is only feasible for about 4 months of the year... During SUMMER and only as an adjunct to other generating systems.

At the polar circle, the sun just touches the horizon at its lowest point.
As is true for everywhere else on the face of the earth. Roughly speaking though because you're probably not suggesting the lower limb of the sun
There is no usable solar energy to harvest for several hours around that point.
There is but it's minimal
In December, the sun doesn't clear the horizon at all. There is no usable solar energy to harvest at all.
Yes, that's true at the arctic circle and above and that relates to where the imaginary line is drawn on the earth.

Read your Finland link... It is only feasible for about 4 months of the year... During SUMMER and only as an adjunct to other generating systems.
That's probably all true.
But nevertheless they have installed solar based on the science that says it will pay back the investment in an acceptable amount of time.

But I suppose it could also be Finland making a political statement for the purpose of demonstrating their resolve to go completely green.

That would be similar to installing solar panels on the Whitehouse.

As is true for everywhere else on the face of the earth. Roughly speaking though because you're probably not suggesting the lower limb of the sun

There is but it's minimal

Yes, that's true at the arctic circle and above and that relates to where the imaginary line is drawn on the earth.
Yet you're still bitterly clinging to the idea of practical solar energy in the far north.

Yet you're still bitterly clinging to the idea of practical solar energy in the far north.
Do some homework on the practicability of solar in Finland and then get back to me. Particularly the question of the time required for payback.

It's really hard to take this stuff seriously when there's a need to debate hours of sunlight in any country or region of the world! Duhhhhh!

Do some homework on the practicability of solar in Finland and then get back to me. Particularly the question of the time required for payback.

It's really hard to take this stuff seriously when there's a need to debate hours of sunlight in any country or region of the world! Duhhhhh!
My being able to master celestial navigation alone turns it into a kindergarten debate!

Does it take into account the decreasing efficiency of photovoltaics and the eventual need to replace them?

Does it take into account the decreasing efficiency of photovoltaics and the eventual need to replace them?
Most solar panels are guaranteed to have 80% or more of original output at 25 years. You do realize that coal and gas fired plants also have to have replacement after a number of years, and that they have to have constant maintenance in between. While the only maintenance the solar farm needs is occasional cleaning of the panels.

Most solar panels are guaranteed to have 80% or more of original output at 25 years. You do realize that coal and gas fired plants also have to have replacement after a number of years, and that they have to have constant maintenance in between. While the only maintenance the solar farm needs is occasional cleaning of the panels.
Coal and gas fired plants run at night.

And emit poisons at night. Pumped hydro, and the many other ways of storing excess renewable energy during the day, as well as wind turbines running at night works much better, at lower cost.
There isn't any excess renewable energy. It never lives up to dataplate rating.

Oh, and you can stop pretending you care about the environment. You support electric vehicles and you don't give a damn that wind turbines kill birds.

There isn't any excess renewable energy. It never lives up to dataplate rating.

Oh, and you can stop pretending you care about the environment. You support electric vehicles and you don't give a damn that wind turbines kill birds.
My goodness, you remain such a fool. First point, bird kill. Wind turbines are a very minor factor in human infrastructure that kills birds.

1639360526784.png

Second point, excess energy of wind farms and solar. This man explains it well. And when we have grid scale storage of whatever type, those idled mills or solar panels could be charging that storage;

on Wiseman
, Corporate executive in US manufacturing
Updated 4 years ago · Author has 8.7K answers and 24M answer views

Originally Answered: Why do you sometime see many wind turbines not turning on a windy day?
The most common reason you see multiple turbines standing idle in a wind farm is curtailment. The utility will often ask the wind farm to turn off some of the machines when supply from all of their producers (gas, coal, hydro, wind and solar) is greater than demand.
This is one of the advantages of wind farms: their production is easily scalable. They can spin machines up or spin them down as necessary to meet demand, as long as the wind is blowing. So you’ll often see a wind farm that’s operating at a percentage of full capacity according to demand.

My goodness, you remain such a fool. First point, bird kill. Wind turbines are a very minor factor in human infrastructure that kills birds.

View attachment 575093

Second point, excess energy of wind farms and solar. This man explains it well. And when we have grid scale storage of whatever type, those idled mills or solar panels could be charging that storage;

on Wiseman
, Corporate executive in US manufacturing
Updated 4 years ago · Author has 8.7K answers and 24M answer views

Originally Answered: Why do you sometime see many wind turbines not turning on a windy day?
The most common reason you see multiple turbines standing idle in a wind farm is curtailment. The utility will often ask the wind farm to turn off some of the machines when supply from all of their producers (gas, coal, hydro, wind and solar) is greater than demand.
This is one of the advantages of wind farms: their production is easily scalable. They can spin machines up or spin them down as necessary to meet demand, as long as the wind is blowing. So you’ll often see a wind farm that’s operating at a percentage of full capacity according to demand.
Yup, I called it. You don't care about the birds killed by your spinning monuments to unicorn farts.

And your next response is nothing more than SOMEDAY ITLL WORK I PROMISE PINKIE SWEAR.

Dismissed.

:bigbed:How old are you? 13? In my lifetime, I have seen computers go from overgrown adding machines to devices you can hold in your hand, call to anywhere on Earth, and talk to, and get an answer. When I was a boy, we knew almost nothing about our solar system, now we have robots on the moon and Mars. We have flown by and taken pictures of all the planets and their moons. We are on the verge of having internet and communications anywhere on Earth via Space X's Starlink. These green technologies are being developed by the same people that gave us all of that and so much more. In the meantime, you are left standing beside the road, yelling "get a horse".
meh

We are always "on the verge" with the climate kOOks.

With batteries....with renewables....with EV's.....with the Arctic ice disappearing....with the world burning up....with sea level rise,....with climate accords.....

:bigbed:

Forum List

Back