🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Salt Lake City going solar

Evraz, of Pueblo, Colorado is running a steel mill on solar. That includes the arc furnaces. There are many ways to store electrical energy at grid scale. Some already in use include pumped hydro and batteries. They are presently considering a pumped hydro near Goldendale, Washington, that could power 500,000 homes for 12 hours. These are far cheaper to build and maintain than gas peaker plants.
Wow! A steel mill on solar!!
That wipes out all the opposition and naysaying!
Hydro is huge in B.c., Canada as you probably already know. And solar is very econimically viable even in the far north. It seems to escape a lot of people that there's a season where there is 24 hour sunlight.

There are many types of batteries now, like the LFP batteries Tesla is using in most of it's vehicles, that use no cobalt. And you are a hypocrite in any case. Cobalt has long been used for alloys, before batteries, but you never said a word about that.

Wow! A steel mill on solar!!
That wipes out all the opposition and naysaying!
Hydro is huge in B.c., Canada as you probably already know. And solar is very econimically viable even in the far north. It seems to escape a lot of people that there's a season where there is 24 hour sunlight.
Was up in Yellowknife in 1975 and experienced that. Awesome. The reason that steel mill went to solar was cost and dependability. The Evraz mill in Portland, Oregon, has a direct line to Bonneville Dam. It is considered a National Security installation as it is the only rolling mill on the West Coast that can roll armor plate and titanium. And is owned now by a Russian company, and rolls armor plate for Israel. LOL

Those batteries are completely recyclable. And they leave no pollutants in the air, land, and water as does coal. The Horndale battery and wind farm in Australia have proven the worth of the batteries.

They are NOT easily recycled. They are built in geometric arrangements of really tiny cells. There's 50 times the surrounding material to 0.1 oz of lithium. And the REFUSE will saturated and coated in lithium and heavy metals.

Not watching your stupid propaganda - I'm trying to ACTUALLY SAVE the environment and the UNPRECEDENTED WASTE of money and resources on "patching up" the GROSS unreliability of solar. (and wind) .

Here's the MAJOR enviro and dollar cost issue. Recycling those MEGATONNES of batteries may be a "money loser". In fact, it's LIKELY to be a money loser and not an investment that anyone wants to make. THEN, not only the dollar/enviro cost of all that LIMITED worldwide mining of the components comes in -- But special operations will be needed to govt RUN any major recycling efforts FAR AWAY from where folks live.. Want a 500,000 Tonne battery recycler in YOUR TOWN?

Petrol and diesel cars will soon be a thing of the past, the European Union has banned their sales in order to speed up the switch to cleaner mobility and mitigate climate change. Indeed, electric vehicles don’t emit any carbon dioxide when being driven, but their rechargeable batteries are causing environmental and social concerns of their own. They contain scarce and expensive metals. And once the batteries are past their prime, they are tough to recycle.

Ordinary lithium-ion batteries are made up of many individual cells and weigh hundreds of kilos. The battery pack used in the Nissan Leaf contains 192 pouch cells, that of the Tesla Model S contains 7,104 cylindrical cells, all bundled into modules that are screwed, welded and glued together to be controlled as one unit. As batteries start to pile up, carmakers, battery companies and researchers are trying to save them from ending up in landfills.

Recyclers are primarily interested in extracting the valuable metals and minerals in the cells. Getting to these materials is complex and dangerous: After removing the steel casing, the battery pack needs to be unbundled into cells carefully, to avoid puncturing any hazardous materials. The electrolyte, a liquid whose job it is to move lithium ions between the cathode and anode, can catch fire or even explode if heated. Only once the pack has been dismantled, recyclers can safely extract the conductive lithium, nickel, copper, and cobalt.

Used in the cathode, cobalt is the most sought-after material used in batteries. In its raw form, the rare, bluish-grey metal is predominantly sourced from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where miners work in perilous conditions. The world’s major electric car manufacturers are already moving away from cobalt, deterred by the human rights abuses, shortages in the supply chain, and fluctuating prices.

That raises the question of whether recyclers will still find it worthwhile to dismantle newer battery types lacking the most valuable ingredients. “When you move to more sustainable materials, and lower cost materials, the incentive to recycle and recover them diminishes,” says Jenny Baker, an energy storage expert at Swansea University. She likens this to a dilemma in consumer electronics: It is often cheaper to buy a new mobile phone than to get it fixed or recycled.

In a first step, recyclers typically shred the cathode and anode materials of spent batteries into a powdery mixture, the so-called black mass. In the board game analogy, this would be the first slide down on a snake, Harper explains. The black mass can then be processed in one of two ways to extract its valuable components. One method, called pyrometallurgy, involves smelting the black mass in a furnace powered with fossil fuels. It’s a relatively cheap method but a lot of lithium, aluminium, graphite and manganese is lost in the process.

Another method, hydrometallurgy, leaches the metals out of the black mass by dissolving it in acids and other solvents. This method, Harper says, would correspond to a shorter snake in the board game, because more material can be recovered: you fall back, but not by as many squares as when using pyrometallurgy. The process, however, consumes a lot of energy and produces toxic gases and wastewater.

Last edited:
LOL Your ignorance is again showing. We have enough lithium in the US for all of our needs, with spare to export. And it is far less dirty to mine than coal, and less polluting than natural gas.

BULLSHIT.. That ONE grid scale battery facility in Cali takes about 1.5 YEARS of production of lithium from a medium volume lithium mine. AND because of the tremendous charging and discharging rates those MEGATONS of batteries need replacement EVERY 12 to 15 years.

I just did an article about this. I researched the hell out of grid scale BANDAID for solar/wind in Cali.

And the US probably will not allow lithium mining on public lands and the public wont allow it near their homes.

Last edited:
Posted on another thread but worth repeating for these stupid Environmental Wackos who believe in this silly ass solar scam.

I have a good friend who is an executive with Duke Energy, one of the largest utilities in the nation.

They are putting up these stupid solar farms right and left.

I asked him why are they investing in this scam technology. He knows it is a scam the same as I do.

He said for two reasons.

First the filthy ass government gives them all kinds of subsidies and tax breaks and allows them to pass the cost of construction onto the consumers.

Second of all they borrow money for operating and capital from mostly European banks. The Euro banks are under the dumbass EU mandate to invest in silly ass "green" shit. They get much better rates and terms that way.

Solar and wind are just scams. Nothing more than Environmental a Wacko's wet dreams.

Those 7100 AA size batteries in an EV AND your grid scale fantasy that equivalent to 17,000 TESLAs for a puny 3 hr back-up of essentially one Cali county - are gonna destroy the enviro and make solar at least 3 times as expensive as it is NOW once you have to recycle or dispose of that MASSIVE RECURRING waste stream.

Battery Armageddon dude. It's worst than environmental terrorists.

Those batteries are completely recyclable. And they leave no pollutants in the air, land, and water as does coal

You are a liar. I dont say that often, but you're way over the line. RECYCLING the battery armaggedon with grid scale batteries NEEDING replacement every 12 to 15 years WILL KILL the air, land and water.

Zealots know no limits. Become completely untethered and start speaking in tongues. In an effort to correct the fault that solar ONLY WORKS 8 or 9 hrs a day will DO MORE ENVIRO DESTRUCTION AND MAKE ENERGY MORE EXPENSIVE than what we are doing today.

Last edited:
One of the major aces in the hole for solar power is the much lessened need for power during the dark hours. That came with our switch to LED lighting that consumes about 1/10 of most other lighting. And of course the industrial power consumption being much lower during the dark hours.

Is Las Vegas switched over to LED lighting yet?

Even Alaska and Canada's north is benefitting from solar, with their longer daylight hours!

The jury's in folks!

What's this outrageous BS about longer daylight hours in Alaska and Canada. I hear this crap all the time. SCIENTIFICALLY in the WINTER what YOU call daylight -- it's really close to twilight. And operating away from their peak outputs -- solar panels dont do FUCK in twilight.

BTW -- BECAUSE of LEDs -- in the cold months when your HVAC is set to heat -- you are burning MORE natgas/oil/electricity to make up that "waste heat" from the old incandescents. It added a considerable amount to the heat in your home. And therefore was NEVER WASTED many months of the year. In the north maybe MOST of the year.

Dont know the logic fault in your argument is WORTH pointing out -- but LED bulbs don't really save anything SOLAR at night. You might want to check your assumptions here. The power company designs for generation capacity to meet DAYTIME PEAKS. The consumption at 10PM is about 80% of daytime peak and sun IS NOT SHINING to provide any solar.

Why in the fuck do I need to point out the obvious here?

Those 7100 AA size batteries in an EV AND your grid scale fantasy that equivalent to 17,000 TESLAs for a puny 3 hr back-up of essentially one Cali county - are gonna destroy the enviro and make solar at least 3 times as expensive as it is NOW once you have to recycle or dispose of that MASSIVE RECURRING waste stream.

Battery Armageddon dude. It's worst than environmental terrorists.

Correct

L-I batteries are an environmental disaster to produce and dispose of. Terrible technology.

Of course Joe Biden's Chicom buddies control most of the rare earth's minerals around the world and they made him rich so we know what drives the use of this terrible technology.

There are many types of batteries now, like the LFP batteries Tesla is using in most of it's vehicles, that use no cobalt. And you are a hypocrite in any case. Cobalt has long been used for alloys, before batteries, but you never said a word about that.
Neither did you. And since you support battery production for your electric nirvana, you're okay with child labor.

They are NOT easily recycled. They are built in geometric arrangements of really tiny cells. There's 50 times the surrounding material to 0.1 oz of lithium. And the REFUSE will saturated and coated in lithium and heavy metals.

Not watching your stupid propaganda - I'm trying to ACTUALLY SAVE the environment and the UNPRECEDENTED WASTE of money and resources on "patching up" the GROSS unreliability of solar. (and wind) .

Here's the MAJOR enviro and dollar cost issue. Recycling those MEGATONNES of batteries may be a "money loser". In fact, it's LIKELY to be a money loser and not an investment that anyone wants to make. THEN, not only the dollar/enviro cost of all that LIMITED worldwide mining of the components comes in -- But special operations will be needed to govt RUN any major recycling efforts FAR AWAY from where folks live.. Want a 500,000 Tonne battery recycler in YOUR TOWN?

Petrol and diesel cars will soon be a thing of the past, the European Union has banned their sales in order to speed up the switch to cleaner mobility and mitigate climate change. Indeed, electric vehicles don’t emit any carbon dioxide when being driven, but their rechargeable batteries are causing environmental and social concerns of their own. They contain scarce and expensive metals. And once the batteries are past their prime, they are tough to recycle.

Ordinary lithium-ion batteries are made up of many individual cells and weigh hundreds of kilos. The battery pack used in the Nissan Leaf contains 192 pouch cells, that of the Tesla Model S contains 7,104 cylindrical cells, all bundled into modules that are screwed, welded and glued together to be controlled as one unit. As batteries start to pile up, carmakers, battery companies and researchers are trying to save them from ending up in landfills.

Recyclers are primarily interested in extracting the valuable metals and minerals in the cells. Getting to these materials is complex and dangerous: After removing the steel casing, the battery pack needs to be unbundled into cells carefully, to avoid puncturing any hazardous materials. The electrolyte, a liquid whose job it is to move lithium ions between the cathode and anode, can catch fire or even explode if heated. Only once the pack has been dismantled, recyclers can safely extract the conductive lithium, nickel, copper, and cobalt.

Used in the cathode, cobalt is the most sought-after material used in batteries. In its raw form, the rare, bluish-grey metal is predominantly sourced from the Democratic Republic of Congo, where miners work in perilous conditions. The world’s major electric car manufacturers are already moving away from cobalt, deterred by the human rights abuses, shortages in the supply chain, and fluctuating prices.

That raises the question of whether recyclers will still find it worthwhile to dismantle newer battery types lacking the most valuable ingredients. “When you move to more sustainable materials, and lower cost materials, the incentive to recycle and recover them diminishes,” says Jenny Baker, an energy storage expert at Swansea University. She likens this to a dilemma in consumer electronics: It is often cheaper to buy a new mobile phone than to get it fixed or recycled.

In a first step, recyclers typically shred the cathode and anode materials of spent batteries into a powdery mixture, the so-called black mass. In the board game analogy, this would be the first slide down on a snake, Harper explains. The black mass can then be processed in one of two ways to extract its valuable components. One method, called pyrometallurgy, involves smelting the black mass in a furnace powered with fossil fuels. It’s a relatively cheap method but a lot of lithium, aluminium, graphite and manganese is lost in the process.

Another method, hydrometallurgy, leaches the metals out of the black mass by dissolving it in acids and other solvents. This method, Harper says, would correspond to a shorter snake in the board game, because more material can be recovered: you fall back, but not by as many squares as when using pyrometallurgy. The process, however, consumes a lot of energy and produces toxic gases and wastewater.
That sounds very environmentally friendly! Don't you think so, Old Rocks?

What's this outrageous BS about longer daylight hours in Alaska and Canada. I hear this crap all the time. SCIENTIFICALLY in the WINTER what YOU call daylight -- it's really close to twilight. And operating away from their peak outputs -- solar panels dont do FUCK in twilight.
Around the end of June the north at the polar circle and above experience 24 hours of sunlight. That's not twilight
BTW -- BECAUSE of LEDs -- in the cold months when your HVAC is set to heat -- you are burning MORE natgas/oil/electricity to make up that "waste heat" from the old incandescents. It added a considerable amount to the heat in your home. And therefore was NEVER WASTED many months of the year. In the north maybe MOST of the year.
I don't think you have anything new to tell me about efficiency of incandescent lighting. But true enough that they were very inefficent lighting and generate quite a bit of heat close to the ceiling in most cases.
Dont know the logic fault in your argument is WORTH pointing out -- but LED bulbs don't really save anything SOLAR at night.
I didn't say they did but I really don't understand what you mean by that. I have suggested that LEDS are saving a lot on lighting in commercial applications. Maybe you would care to clarify your meaning?
You might want to check your assumptions here. The power company designs for generation capacity to meet DAYTIME PEAKS. The consumption at 10PM is about 80% of daytime peak and sun IS NOT SHINING to provide any solar.
Agreed on the time of peak consumption and that the sun is not shining in some areas of the world at 2200.
Why in the fuck do I need to point out the obvious here?

I have no idea what you think you've pointed out to me? We're in agreement on nearly everything you've said, except that the sun isn't shining at 10p.m.

On Vancouver island in late June, the sun shines until about 9:30 if you're in a flat area or on top of a mountain.

I'll find a chart that shows the hours of sunlight in almost any area of the world again. edit: on second thought why bother?

Last edited:
Solar power in Finland.

Because they're efficient enough to be worth it!

And something new: Solar cells are more efficient in colder temperatures.

How much power do they really need?

fl20121023zga.jpg

Around the end of June the north at the polar circle and above experience 24 hours of sunlight. That's not twilight
At the polar circle, the sun just touches the horizon at its lowest point. There is no usable solar energy to harvest for several hours around that point.

In December, the sun doesn't clear the horizon at all. There is no usable solar energy to harvest at all.

I don't think you have anything new to tell me about efficiency of incandescent lighting. But true enough that they were very inefficent lighting and generate quite a bit of heat close to the ceiling in most cases.

I didn't say they did but I really don't understand what you mean by that. I have suggested that LEDS are saving a lot on lighting in commercial applications. Maybe you would care to clarify your meaning?

Agreed on the time of peak consumption and that the sun is not shining in some areas of the world at 2200.

I have no idea what you think you've pointed out to me? We're in agreement on nearly everything you've said, except that the sun isn't shining at 10p.m.

On Vancouver island in late June, the sun shines until about 9:30 if you're in a flat area or on top of a mountain.

I'll find a chart that shows the hours of sunlight in almost any area of the world again. edit: on second thought why bother?
Do you have any concept of the ANGLE OF INCIDENCE? The further that solar energy has to go through the atmosphere the less hits the surface where your solar panels are... BY the way, during the winter it is almost perpetual night. There is very little energy that makes it to the surface.

You and Old Crock have eaten the whole pile of bull shit... all by yourselves...

Sure as hell isnt DAYLIGHT. Go read up. You'll discover why we can't run solar by moonlight or near the Arctic. I dont have time for folks that aren't motivated to think. I looked at British Columbia and found that the ONLY solar they've installed as a PROVINCE aint big enough to run a medium sized carnival..

Better yet -- GO INVEST in solar in Canada and Alaska and GOOD LUCK !!! You wont have to look up seasonal solar irradiances and see that I'm right. LOL..

There were gross misrepresentations of the energy savings BY IGNORING that "waste heat" is NOT WASTE when you got the heat on. Again. GO think a bit and cheer lead less.

Yes you did. You said we SAVED lots of power at night by incorporating LED bulbs and TRIED to relate that to "an Ace in the hole for solar power" -- when solar power has NOTHING TO DO with night-time lighting.

Never mind the rest. I just realized that YOU were droidbot telling me how SOLAR British Columbia was and I went 3 pages with you on WHY there's hardly ANY SOLAR in B.C. and you kept giving me these tiny installations capable of MAYBE running a major supermarket. For just 7 or 8 hours of sunlight in B.C.

And when you started in about how it was DAYLIGHT for 16 hrs in the summertime -- I just left the freaky "conversation". No chance of helping you understand the science or engineering principles behind solar power and it's relationship to ACTUAL SUN power that you put on them..

Bye...

No thanks. You're WAAY too zealous and freaky to focus on facts.

Forum List

Back