🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Salt Lake City going solar

Depends on how much solar they previously installed. The ONLY THING massive solar generation CAN do is to relieve the day time peaks on the grid. And once you reach 12 or 15% of your total peak generation -- you're screwed.

It's a peaker supplement -- not an alternative. I hope Old Rocks lives long enough to finally realize that. :poke:
I spent 26 years as a deputy sheriff in SLC... Thier hope and poke bull shit is going to fail. They have months at a time of low air quality, during winter, that blocks the sun from the earth. This is going to fail massively... Once again Old Crock didn't do any homework before posting.

How old are you? 13? In my lifetime, I have seen computers go from overgrown adding machines to devices you can hold in your hand, call to anywhere on Earth, and talk to, and get an answer. When I was a boy, we knew almost nothing about our solar system, now we have robots on the moon and Mars. We have flown by and taken pictures of all the planets and their moons. We are on the verge of having internet and communications anywhere on Earth via Space X's Starlink. These green technologies are being developed by the same people that gave us all of that and so much more. In the meantime, you are left standing beside the road, yelling "get a horse".
I'm not willing to give up my way of life for your unicorns-farting-rainbows pipe dreams.

One of the major aces in the hole for solar power is the much lessened need for power during the dark hours. That came with our switch to LED lighting that consumes about 1/10 of most other lighting. And of course the industrial power consumption being much lower during the dark hours.

Is Las Vegas switched over to LED lighting yet?

Even Alaska and Canada's north is benefitting from solar, with their longer daylight hours!

The jury's in folks!
Why did you forget the massive increase in heating and other electric use at night? Lighting is a very miniscule part of the total... Nice strawman that is now burning...

I spent 26 years as a deputy sheriff in SLC... Thier hope and poke bull shit is going to fail. They have months at a time of low air quality, during winter, that blocks the sun from the earth. This is going to fail massively... Once again Old Crock didn't do any homework before posting.

Air quality? How does that affect sunshine

Air quality? How does that affect sunshine
I can't imagine.

RJWBQB6POVBN5M6JO4C7NSHEFE.jpg

Why did you forget the massive increase in heating and other electric use at night? Lighting is a very miniscule part of the total... Nice strawman that is now burning...
Heating?
Maybe air conditioning?
But I happen to understand the difference between industrial compared to commercial and residential.

Why is it so obviously being ignored that solar's connection to the grid doesn't negate much of the storage capacity issue?
And then consider all the other green energy sources that are being brought online too!

The science is in and it's proven. It's too late to pretend it's not!
(I consider nuclear to be a part of green for the short term in it's present state)

So you just made an excellent argument for adapting wind, solar, and EV's. And the pollution goes away. LOL

Ever hear of grid scale storage. Utah has all kinds of possibilities for that.

Heating?
Maybe air conditioning?
But I happen to understand the difference between industrial compared to commercial and residential.

Why is it so obviously being ignored that solar's connection to the grid doesn't negate much of the storage capacity issue?
And then consider all the other green energy sources that are being brought online too!

The science is in and it's proven. It's too late to pretend it's not!
(I consider nuclear to be a part of green for the short term in it's present state)
Evraz, of Pueblo, Colorado is running a steel mill on solar. That includes the arc furnaces. There are many ways to store electrical energy at grid scale. Some already in use include pumped hydro and batteries. They are presently considering a pumped hydro near Goldendale, Washington, that could power 500,000 homes for 12 hours. These are far cheaper to build and maintain than gas peaker plants.

Forum List

Back