Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

What people like Seawytch, aris2chat and bfgrn intend on doing is driving pro-traditional marriage ideals out of the public square. Bfgrn in particular wants to do it holding a bible in his hand.

As an old popular gay rights protest chant in the 1970's went:

"2-4-6-8, smash the church and smash the state!"

What people like Seawytch, aris2chat and bfgrn intend on doing is driving pro-traditional marriage ideals out of the public square. Bfgrn in particular wants to do it holding a bible in his hand.

But didn't the anti segregationists also use the bible?

But if the Bible makes the case, doesn't that make racism a legitimate Judeo-Christian teaching?

No, that is you making a presupposition.

I follow that same Bible, but I have not seen anything saying you "must be racist" to anyone. I'm not racist, nobody in my church is racist, we have black and Hispanic church members in our congregation.

As John 7:24 puts it:

"Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

Whoops. I think I heard bellboy quoting a similar verse regarding homosexual marriage, but it also equally applies to racism as well. We are taught not to judge someone by their skin color, and thusly, anyone who tried to use The Bible as a way to justify racism were in fact doing the exact opposite of what it said.

Furthermore if you think this answer somehow justifies your case, reference the posts where I cited where the Bible explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman, then understand that our opposition isn't based on judging appearances or being bigoted, it is strict adherence to the Biblical definition of marriage.

So, I've noticed how suddenly the topic has shifted away from gay marriage, to...segregation. Interesting.

But if the Bible makes the case, doesn't that make racism a legitimate Judeo-Christian teaching?

I follow that same Bible, but I have not seen anything saying you "must be racist" to anyone. I'm not racist, nobody in my church is racist, we have black and Hispanic church members in our congregation.

Whoops. I think I heard bellboy quoting a similar verse regarding homosexual marriage, but it also equally applies to racism as well. We are taught not to judge someone by their skin color, and thusly, anyone who tried to use The Bible as a way to justify racism were in fact doing the exact opposite of what it said.

Furthermore if you think this answer somehow justifies your case, reference the posts where I cited where the Bible explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman, then understand that our opposition isn't based on judging appearances or being bigoted, it is strict adherence to the Biblical definition of marriage.

The Bible also commands you shall have no other gods before you that doesn't give your business the right to deny service to a Hindu.

Somehow you think that by asking me these questions, you'll get me to slip up and endorse the thinking segregationists employed when using the Bible to justify it. Well, guess again.

The Bible also commands you shall have no other gods before you that doesn't give your business the right to deny service to a Hindu.

You know, you're purposefully being dishonest. Do you see any religious person denying anyone of a different religion service in a business? No. But nobody seems interested in forcing a Muslim to serve a Jew either, do they? In fact, people are more content on them denying the Jew service once they see him wearing his kippah into the store. But hey, Christians are the only ones required to uproot their beliefs for the sake of a "free and stable society" as bellboy put it.

John 7:24 has nothing to do with race.

You know, you're purposefully being dishonest. Do you see any religious person denying anyone of a different religion service in a business? No. But nobody seems interested in forcing a Muslim to serve a Jew either, do they? In fact, people are more content on them denying the Jew service once they see him wearing his kippah into the store. But hey, Christians are the only ones required to uproot their beliefs for the sake of a "free and stable society" as bellboy put it.

Christians are the only ones? I don't see Sharia Law anywhere in the US.

Yes it does. When you judge someone by race, you are judging them by the color of their skin. Hence appearances, and when you judge by appearances, you don't make the right and just judgement about what and who they really are as a person.

You're embarrassing yourself here.

Yes it does. When you judge someone by race, you are judging them by the color of their skin. Hence appearances, and when you judge by appearances, you don't make the right and just judgement about what and who they really are as a person.

You're embarrassing yourself here.

Unlike you, I just read the passage in context.

Christians are the only ones? I don't see Sharia Law anywhere in the US.

And what about that response had anything to do with Sharia Law?

What the heck do YOU know about marriage?

Forum List

Back