Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

LOL. Look at bellboy pronouncing judgement on me for not accepting gay marriage.

You can do whatever you want in your church. If your pastor wants to spew discrimination against gays and preach God the avenger who doles out punishment and retribution, go for it man.

No, my pastor preaches from the very same Bible you're using as a cudgel. God isn't going to punish people who go by what standards he set forward for marriage. As far as Christianity is concerned, marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Read, and be laid low:

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansingb her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Ephesians 5:22-33

--------------------------------

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’a 5and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’b ? 6So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Matthew 19:4-6

21So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribsg and then closed up the place with flesh. 22Then the Lord God made a woman from the ribh he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones

and flesh of my flesh;

she shall be called ‘woman,’

for she was taken out of man.”

24That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Genesis 2:21-24

2But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

1 Corinthians 7:2-3

Those four passages speak of and call for a marriage between a man and a woman. They speak of men and women becoming "one flesh." Those verses use these words in conjunction with one another: "he," "she," "her," "him, "himself," "herself," "man," "woman," "male", "female," "wife", and "husband." So, as you can see they are distinct signs that God...nor the Bible had gay marriage in mind. You have no other recourse but to concede defeat this argument.

Last edited:
That is not the God I learned about.

Like I said, you see a God you want to see; a God of your own little universe, and not the God of this Universe. That is a God you PREFER. I don't follow that God. As the old saying goes, life isn't always bed of roses, and I doubt God is either.

I learned we are our brother's keeper, that we are all sinners and God the father 's love for us is way beyond the deepest love us human will ever feel. I learned about a God of forgiveness and tolerance.

I learned of a God who doesn't mold himself to the wills of men, and most certainly not yours. He not only forgives and tolerates, he punishes and rejects. He is both tolerant and intolerant, merciful and unmerciful, he also loves and hates. You only want a God of only forgiveness, tolerance, love and mercy; but are unwilling to accept the other characteristics. Neither you nor I can even attempt to understand his predisposition. His motives are beyond our comprehension.

You cannot assign your own personal definitions of what God should or shouldn't be. You don't have that right.

Last edited:
Isaiah 40:28

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the Earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsaearchable.

Last edited:
[

You cannot assign your own personal definitions of what God should or shouldn't be. You don't have that right.

The Bible, written by Men, defined God. Later interpretations, by Men, have produced many various descriptions of what God is for or against.

None of it came directly from the supernatural being himself, if he even exists.

LOL. Look at bellboy pronouncing judgement on me for not accepting gay marriage.

You can do whatever you want in your church. If your pastor wants to spew discrimination against gays and preach God the avenger who doles out punishment and retribution, go for it man.

No, my pastor preaches from the very same Bible you're using as a cudgel. God isn't going to punish people who go by what standards he set forward for marriage. As far as Christianity is concerned, marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Read, and be laid low:

22Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansingb her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’a 5and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’b ? 6So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

21So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribsg and then closed up the place with flesh. 22Then the Lord God made a woman from the ribh he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23The man said,

and flesh of my flesh;

24That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

2But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

Those four passages speak of and call for a marriage between a man and a woman. They speak of men and women becoming "one flesh." Those verses use these words in conjunction with one another: "he," "she," "her," "him, "himself," "herself," "man," "woman," "male", "female," "wife", and "husband." So, as you can see they are distinct signs that God...nor the Bible had gay marriage in mind. You have no other recourse but to concede defeat this argument.

Why did Jesus say, as you quoted, that there is no difference between man and woman?

Your definition of bigotry is anyone who doesn't accept your ideals. You seem to think government can force tolerance and quell bigotry.

And if the courts rule in favor of homosexuals, you'll soon hear demands that churches marry gays. You know what? That's an intrusion on my faith, and thusly on my beliefs. You will be asking us to sacrifice our beliefs for a "more stable society."

No, that is YOUR definition because you are trying to justify your bigotry against gays.

Allowing gays the same marriage rights as you and I enjoy takes nothing away from you. It asks nothing of your church and no change of your lifestyle. So the only reason you are left with to deny other Americans rights your enjoy is bigotry.

If I had a dollar for every time you called me a bigot in this thread...

I don't want to deny anyone anything (that has to be the billionth time I've had to make that clear). I think same sex marriage is wrong. But I've also supported it as far as the law goes. You don't know me, bellboy. Not one damn thing.

So, you call me a bigot, yet here you are, just as intolerant and bigoted of my faith. I am a Christian first and foremost. That does not automatically make me a bigot. What part of that doesn't get through that thick head of yours?

You spew your hatred and talking points, but you fail to make your case.

You are a LIAR...

You say you don't want to deny homosexuals the right to marry, except everything you say paints a different picture.

Your reply to my post is a prime example. I gave you an opportunity to state that you don't want to deny homosexuals the right to marry under the law, instead, you went off on a typical right wing fear filled slippery slope rant....

Post #800

Bfgrn:
I am tolerant, but that doesn't mean I will ever accept bigotry. Why don't you take the Apostle Paul's advice and stop try to legislate stumbling blocks and obstacles in the way of fellow Americans?

Our government recognizing same sex marriage as equal under the law requires no sacrifice or change of lifestyle on your part...NONE. As a matter of fact, it is a positive and helps create a more stable society.

TemplarKormac:
Your definition of bigotry is anyone who doesn't accept your ideals. You seem to think government can force tolerance and quell bigotry.

And if the courts rule in favor of homosexuals, you'll soon hear demands that churches marry gays. You know what? That's an intrusion on my faith, and thusly on my beliefs. You will be asking us to sacrifice our beliefs for a "more stable society."
Homosexuals have the same right to marry as anyone else. There has never been an application for a marriage license that asks for sexual orientation.

Okay, so how many agree with Rabbi that if same sex marriage were the ONLY legal marriage, opposite sex couples would have no complaint?

Sign in here.

Okay, so far the number is ZERO.

Comon, someone must agree with Rabbi. Don't leave him hanging. lol

TEMPLARKORMAC SAID:

“You cannot assign your own personal definitions of what God should or shouldn't be. You don't have that right.”

Of course he does.

Everyone has the right to believe in whatever myths and fables he so desires, or none at all.

Like I said, you see a God you want to see; a God of your own little universe, and not the God of this Universe. That is a God you PREFER. I don't follow that God. As the old saying goes, life isn't always bed of roses, and I doubt God is either.

I learned we are our brother's keeper, that we are all sinners and God the father 's love for us is way beyond the deepest love us human will ever feel. I learned about a God of forgiveness and tolerance.

I learned of a God who doesn't mold himself to the wills of men, and most certainly not yours. He not only forgives and tolerates, he punishes and rejects. He is both tolerant and intolerant, merciful and unmerciful, he also loves and hates. You only want a God of only forgiveness, tolerance, love and mercy; but are unwilling to accept the other characteristics. Neither you nor I can even attempt to understand his predisposition. His motives are beyond our comprehension.

Since you fancy yourself the lawyer type,

then prove beyond a reasonable doubt that God exists.

Having done that, you would then be able to offer up God as a witness to testify in support of the other claims you make involving God.

And yet that's exactly what these "Christian" businesses are doing when they use the bible to try to deny service to gays. Jesus would have denied service to no one.

Having done that, you would then be able to offer up God as a witness to testify in support of the other claims you make involving God.

I define god as the fabric of the universe.

Prove beyond a reasonable doubt one of 1) god is not the fabric of the universe; or 2) the fabric of the universe does not exist.

Prove beyond a reasonable doubt one of 1) god is not the fabric of the universe; or 2) the fabric of the universe does not exist.

I don't have to prove a negative. A person does not have to prove he didn't rob a bank.

I don't have to prove a negative. A person does not have to prove he didn't rob a bank.
Then having provided zero evidence in the negative, and zero evidence that god is anything but what I think he is... I'll take that as agreement in my statement that god is or at least may be the fabric of the universe. Thx.

Then having provided zero evidence in the negative, and zero evidence that god is anything but what I think he is... I'll take that as agreement in my statement that god is or at least may be the fabric of the universe. Thx.

Are you claiming the right to call the fabric of the universe, whatever that is, by the name of 'God'? Okay you win. You can call it God. You can call your favorite pet 'God' if you want to.

It's when you start claiming that your cat Puff aka God has written the inviolable rules for humanity, and start using that as an argument for how US law should operate, that you run into some problems.

Are you claiming the right to call the fabric of the universe, whatever that is, by the name of 'God'? Okay you win. You can call it God. You can call your favorite pet 'God' if you want to.

It's when you start claiming that your cat Puff aka God has written the inviolable rules for humanity, and start using that as an argument for how US law should operate, that you run into some problems.
Tell that PETA not me. I have no intentions of claiming that my pet rules the planet.

23The man said,

and flesh of my flesh;

WOW, what you just can't get through your thick head is God gave us a free will. YOU can live however YOU see fit. And you can believe in God the avenger, God the punisher or whatever creature you envision.

But whoever God is, his judgement comes AFTER our life on earth, NOT BEFORE. And it is NOT YOUR JOB to seek punishment against your fellow man. YOU ARE NOT GOD.

WOW, what you just can't get through your thick head is God gave us a free will.

So, I surmise you've never heard of the 10 Commandments. Well, how does it feel to be ignorant of the Bible, again?

And it is NOT YOUR JOB to seek punishment against your fellow man.

Isn't that what you were doing with you "God the avenger" nonsense? Shhh, you don't get to lecture me on "seeking punishment." You're the one with the gavel and the gown, not me.

YOU ARE NOT GOD.

Neither are you. You can stop preaching to me now, I'd call you a Bible thumper, but that wouldn't do justice to Bible thumpers.

WOW, what you just can't get through your thick head is God gave us a free will.

So, I surmise you've never heard of the 10 Commandments. Well, how does it feel to be ignorant of the Bible, again?

Isn't that what you were doing with you "God the avenger" nonsense? Shhh, you don't get to lecture me on "seeking punishment." You're the one with the gavel and the gown, not me.

YOU ARE NOT GOD.

Neither are you. You can stop preaching to me now, I'd call you a Bible thumper, but that wouldn't do justice to Bible thumpers.

Ignorant of the Bible?

So are you saying we should follow the Old testament? If so, let's talk about God sanctioning abortion.

Numbers 5:12-31 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water..... This passage describes a ritual that a husband could force his wife to endure if he suspected that she had engaged in an adulterous relationship. He would take her and an offering of barely meal to the tabernacle, where the priest would make a magical drink consisting of holy water and sweepings from the tabernacle floor. He would have the woman drink the water while he recited a curse on her. The curse would state that her abdomen would swell and her thigh waste away if she had committed adultery. Otherwise, the curse would have no effect. If she were pregnant at this time, the curse would certainly induce an abortion. Yet nobody seems to have been concerned about the fate of any embryo or fetus that was present. Needless to say, there was no similar magical test that a woman could require her husband to take if she suspected him of adultery.

YOU ARE NOT GOD.

Ignorant of the Bible?

So are you saying we should follow the Old testament? If so, let's talk about God sanctioning abortion.

Numbers 5:12-31 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water..... This passage describes a ritual that a husband could force his wife to endure if he suspected that she had engaged in an adulterous relationship. He would take her and an offering of barely meal to the tabernacle, where the priest would make a magical drink consisting of holy water and sweepings from the tabernacle floor. He would have the woman drink the water while he recited a curse on her. The curse would state that her abdomen would swell and her thigh waste away if she had committed adultery. Otherwise, the curse would have no effect. If she were pregnant at this time, the curse would certainly induce an abortion. Yet nobody seems to have been concerned about the fate of any embryo or fetus that was present. Needless to say, there was no similar magical test that a woman could require her husband to take if she suspected him of adultery.

Ahh the "Ordeal of the Bitter Water." Believe it or not, I've read the commentaries.

Notice that nowhere in those verses does it mention pregnancy, or abortion, or God causing an abortion. Drinking the concoction did not cause an abortion, nor did it cause a miscarriage. It would cause her great pain and her belly to bloat. Yet you attributed "thigh to fall away" as "to cause a miscarriage." Did it ever occur to you that the punishment could be that of barrenness? While "thigh" refers to the general area of the sexual organs, "to fall away" literally means that her sexual organs would cease to function and wither away, or atrophy.

What that verse refers to is a test to determine marital fidelity for a woman suspected of committing adultery, abortion is not among the punishments for a breach of the law, the punishment for guilt would be barrenness. If she did it secretly with another man without her husband's knowledge, it would be in the time of the Israelites, that a breach of the sotah law (1 of the 613 mosaic laws) would bring death upon her and her paramour as a punishment. So, nicely done, bellboy, that verse has nothing to do with abortion and more to do with assessing guilt in the the alleged commission of adultery, and moreover has absolutely nothing to do with gay marriage.

Try as you may, you consistently reveal your Biblical incompetence. Your reliance on a debatable interpretation of a four word phrase in the citation is a testament to your dishonesty and inability to discuss the topic at hand. You have lost this debate for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back