Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

Obama's right. Unless there is some sort of defect that prevents it..all US kids should have access to college.
Access...yes...Oppritunity...yes...it's a matter of who pays.

Poverty should be no obstacle to a good education. Quite the contrary. Those in a state of poverty in this extremely wealthy nation should be encouraged to get a good education. That includes funding.

And what Santorum is saying is that college isn't for everyone. That doesn't make him a nutcase. That makes him a realist. Barack Obama has the classic "intellectual's" bias that anyone who hasn't gone to college is an idiot who's point of view shouldn't count as heavily as theirs. Funny how it's the "idiot" that the intellectual usually calls to fix their plumbing, electrical wiring or car engine when they stop working because they don't have a clue what to do. It's just one more example of why THIS President is so sorely out of touch with the country he lives in. He doesn't understand blue collar people because he's never been a blue collar person or been in contact with them. He was raised in privileged circumstances and attended an exclusive private school. Oh, he purports to speak for the lower classes and minorities but he has nothing in common with them. He's a golf playing prep school nerd who used Affirmative Action to overcome his early "stoner" college work to get into some of the best colleges in the country and then parlay that into a lifetime of cushy jobs. Is it any wonder that he thinks EVERYONE should go to college? Sure beats working for a living...right Barack?

I love the anti-intellectualism of this thread. You're right of course, higher education isn't for everyone, and there is no shame in not pursuing it. But why would pursuing it be so shameful to you?

Wait...I'm "anti-intellectual" because I point out that the President looks down on those who didn't go to college? I'm not against college, Photonic. I went myself and enjoyed every second of it but I'm also the son of firefighter who grew up on a dairy farm milking cows every morning at 4 AM, so I both understand blue collar folks and more importantly RESPECT blue collar folks. We had a next door neighbor who was a retired Psych. professor from Princeton who was considered brilliant in his field. Nice guy but dumb as a rock when it came to practical matters. Barack Obama reminds me of him...IN A BIG WAY!

No, I'm not saying you personally are anti-intellectual, but it seems to be a re-occurring theme in the past few days to rant about how education is destroying our youth.

Oh? What service to they provide to society that is worth as much as they get paid?

Wall Street is the most overpaid industry anywhere IMHO. But it is one of the highest pressure and hardest working industries also.

However, it's not up to me to determine. I think movie stars and professional athletes are also overpaid. But they get paid based on what the market will bear.

It's also irrelevant to the Marxist meme that "investing is parasitic."

Oh, so not what you presented it as at all... when put in the context of "IT LOOKS BAD".

SO you are admitting you still don't really understand the point I was making, then?

I know exactly what you were saying.

You were analogizing the optics of a business turnaround to an event which was used to recruit terrorists in the Middle East to go to Iraq and kill Americans.

That is really warped.

Nice way to try to bend words to present it as something different.

Abu Grahib wasn't an "event". It was a human rights violation, and if people were angry about it, they had every right to be. We went in their to "liberate" the country and we do stuff like this? It was a horrible optic.

What Bain did to AmPad, to Damon MEdical, to wasn't a "turnaround", it was a looting. People lost their jobs, lost their communities, lost their homes, and Mittens gets a fourth mansion like all is right in the world. It's a horrible optic, and it WILL make people angry.

King of Bain | When Mitt Romney Came to Town

He didn't "turn around Bain", He founded Bain, and Bain went into companies like AmPad and looted them, destroying jobs and whole communities.

Which I'm sorry, just looks bad

Dood, I know you wander around in a fog of hate towards Romney since you admitted it, but if you're going to slander someone, at least get your facts straight.

Romney started Bain Capital. He did not start Bain & Co. Bain & Co. was a consulting firm which originally hired Romney. Romney founded Bain Capital, a spin-off investment firm from Bain & Co. Bain & Co - the consulting company - found itself in financial trouble. They hired Romney from Bain Capital - the investment firm - to save the firm. He saved the firm.

And because of it, you think the optics of it is the equivalent of Abu Ghraib.

Class warfare =/= being a Republican.

Neither is supporting Plutocracy that is destroying America..

I don't give a flying fuck about how Bain organized itself to avoid paying its fair share of taxes.

I care about the jobs and communities that went tits up when Romney and his greedy bloodsuckers went into them and looted them.

Again, horrible optic, Obama has his commercials already made.

And what Santorum is saying is that college isn't for everyone. That doesn't make him a nutcase. That makes him a realist. Barack Obama has the classic "intellectual's" bias that anyone who hasn't gone to college is an idiot who's point of view shouldn't count as heavily as theirs. Funny how it's the "idiot" that the intellectual usually calls to fix their plumbing, electrical wiring or car engine when they stop working because they don't have a clue what to do. It's just one more example of why THIS President is so sorely out of touch with the country he lives in. He doesn't understand blue collar people because he's never been a blue collar person or been in contact with them. He was raised in privileged circumstances and attended an exclusive private school. Oh, he purports to speak for the lower classes and minorities but he has nothing in common with them. He's a golf playing prep school nerd who used Affirmative Action to overcome his early "stoner" college work to get into some of the best colleges in the country and then parlay that into a lifetime of cushy jobs. Is it any wonder that he thinks EVERYONE should go to college? Sure beats working for a living...right Barack?

I love the anti-intellectualism of this thread. You're right of course, higher education isn't for everyone, and there is no shame in not pursuing it. But why would pursuing it be so shameful to you?

Wait...I'm "anti-intellectual" because I point out that the President looks down on those who didn't go to college? I'm not against college, Photonic. I went myself and enjoyed every second of it but I'm also the son of firefighter who grew up on a dairy farm milking cows every morning at 4 AM, so I both understand blue collar folks and more importantly RESPECT blue collar folks. We had a next door neighbor who was a retired Psych. professor from Princeton who was considered brilliant in his field. Nice guy but dumb as a rock when it came to practical matters. Barack Obama reminds me of him...IN A BIG WAY!

Where do you get that?

He stopped an entire walk through a neighborhood to have a dialogue with a plumber, which later got used as political ammunition against him.

No one is saying anyone should be forced to go to college.

Obama's right. Unless there is some sort of defect that prevents it..all US kids should have access to college.
Access...yes...Oppritunity...yes...it's a matter of who pays.

Poverty should be no obstacle to a good education. Quite the contrary. Those in a state of poverty in this extremely wealthy nation should be encouraged to get a good education. That includes funding.
Correcgt. It shouldn't. It shouldn't be a crutch...or an excuse. Our history is replete with folks that worked hard on thier own to change thier circumstances without help from Gubmint.

You see? Liberty is like that.

Oh? What service to they provide to society that is worth as much as they get paid?

Wall Street is the most overpaid industry anywhere IMHO. But it is one of the highest pressure and hardest working industries also.
However, it's not up to me to determine. I think movie stars and professional athletes are also overpaid. But they get paid based on what the market will bear.

It's top heavy.

Middle management and below make about what they should. The top tier are off the charts.

Yes, I know how Wall Street works. I've been in the capital markets most of my career and deal with Wall Street almost every day. So I know the good and the bad. And your understanding is an inaccurate caricature of what they do.

That's for the people who pay them to decide, not for the government or a bunch of envious losers like you to decide.

Could this nutjob stoop any lower? Now Obama is a snob for wanting kids to go to college?

Rick Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Hubris' And 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

The most animated exchange of former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum's Saturday morning event in Manchester, N.H. came when he called out President Obama for his "hubris" and "snobbery" for proclaiming that all U.S. children should get a college education.

I was so outraged by the president of the United States for standing up and saying every child in America should go to college. Well who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America should [go to college]? I mean, the hubris of this president to think that he knows what's best.
I have seven kids. Maybe they will all go to college. But if one of my kids wants to go and be an auto-mechanic, good for him. That's a good paying job: using your hands, using your mind. This is the kind of snobbery that we see from those who think they know how to run our lives. Rise up America, defend your own freedoms. And overthrow these folks who think they know how to orchestrate every aspect of your lives.
Santorum is correct.
Not every student is cut out for college.
Over the last few decades we've been bombarded with comments of how there is a lack of skilled workers in the US. Of how our nation lags behind in skilled crafts people.
Of how our manufacturing base is being siphoned off to other countries.
Here's the deal....Our public school system is geared entirely toward college prep.
There are few vocational/technical schools that offer useful job skills( working with one's hands, etc) .
I think parents should be given a choice as to whether to send their kids along a vocational or a college prep path.
This notion of "if you don't go to college, you'll not stand a chance" is nonsense.
I agree that with different kinds of assistance every student should be afforded the opportunity to go to advanced education in academics, but be guaranteed a seat in a college or university.
The assistance should come from the schools themselves, not the taxpayers.

Wait...I'm "anti-intellectual" because I point out that the President looks down on those who didn't go to college?

It looks that way when someone says that everyone should go to college and you interpret that the person is looking down at people who don't go to college.

It's like someone saying "Everyone should get rich," and someone else interpreting that as "He looks down on the poor."

Again labeling anything that isn't Corporatist "Marxist" or "Communist" does you no favors.

Any industry can claim it's one of the highest pressure and hardest working.

Do you have any idea what an astrophysicist does? Many of them make sure that an asteroid like 99942 (Apophis) isn't going to wipe out all known life on Earth in 2036. Or hit a small gravitational "key-hole" range where it will come back and hit Earth 7 years later.

Yes, I know how Wall Street works. I've been in the capital markets most of my career and deal with Wall Street almost every day. So I know the good and the bad. And your understanding is an inaccurate caricature of what they do.

That's for the people who pay them to decide, not for the government or a bunch of envious losers like you to decide.
Statists loathe the free marketplace. They want equal outcome while confusing oppritunity with outcome. (Or masking it).

Does 100% of the population need to attend college?

I believe what Obama said was that all kids should have the OPPORTUNITY to attend college; but even if he did say that all kids should attend college, would that really be such a bad thing to strive for? Good grief, this couintry is in deep trouble.

That is not what Obama is maintaining. He thinks every kid should go to college.
Here's the rub. Obama wants to ensure a seat for every kid that wants one at taxpayers expense. That's wrong.
An opportunity? Yes, if the student is academically qualified.

Romney and GST Steel...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtV7vKDbU3A]Does Mitt Romney Care About Jobs or Just Making Money? - YouTube[/ame]

Yup, this is a great optic, Toto.

It isn't an obstacle. All they have to do is study hard and any kid can get a scholarship. Of course, you want the taxpayers to pay for mediocre students to go to college.

Sorry, but I see no reason why I should have to pay for that.

It isn't an obstacle. All they have to do is study hard and any kid can get a scholarship. Of course, you want the taxpayers to pay for mediocre students to go to college.

Sorry, but I see no reason why I should have to pay for that.

Kids who are forced to work in high school to support a poor family usually don't have time to "get good grades." they get trapped by the system and whatever dreams they might have had get crushed. What you are saying is they should never be allowed an opportunity essentially.

Nice way to try to bend words to present it as something different.

Abu Grahib wasn't an "event". It was a human rights violation, and if people were angry about it, they had every right to be. We went in their to "liberate" the country and we do stuff like this? It was a horrible optic.

What Bain did to AmPad, to Damon MEdical, to wasn't a "turnaround", it was a looting. People lost their jobs, lost their communities, lost their homes, and Mittens gets a fourth mansion like all is right in the world. It's a horrible optic, and it WILL make people angry.

Yes, Abu Ghraib was awful. It was one of the most hideous prison in one of the most repressive regimes on earth under Hussein. The symbolism of what we did there was terrible. And you are equating that with Mitt Romney.

That's fucked.

And it's class warfare.

Again labeling anything that isn't Corporatist "Marxist" or "Communist" does you no favors.

"Investing is parasitic" is a Marxist meme. Marx said it himself. It is a driver of communism. It is not a driver of corporatism. It is an accurate description.

Forum List

Back