Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

I see you can't answer the question either.

How the hell is anyone supposed to even try explain the benefits of a college education to someone who's so prediposed to discount it?

If it doesn't get you a good paying job, it saddles you with a mountain of debt, and it delays the beginning of your earning years by 4 years, what's the benefit?

For some people college is a benefit, but we all know there are plenty of people who will gain nothing. They aren't intellectually equipped to benefit from college. Included in this class of people are most liberal arts majors.

I actually completely agree with this.

If they have disposable income to go for a liberal arts degree then by all means, but if you don't. Be serious and go for something practical, or if you aren't suited mentally for it go to tech school and learn a useful craft.

President Obama made two statements about college. The first was that he wanted all kids to graduate high school and be college-ready. The second was that he wanted the U.S. to have the highest proportion of college graduates by 2020.

It's bad enough that Santorum, pretending to be a religious, moral candidate lied. But what is far worse is that he is using that lie to try and betray our great country. He's sending the soundbite out there, expecting his followers to lower their standards and hope for less than. Why should anyone be proud of not achieving the highest possible standards of education? Why would anyone want their children to be less educated than children from other countries?

It's appalling that some on this board have no desire to better themselves nor their children.

I went to a 1 year trade school and studied auto mechanics. Prior to that I went to college. Both gave me real-world advantages.

Could this nutjob stoop any lower? Now Obama is a snob for wanting kids to go to college?

Rick Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Hubris' And 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

The most animated exchange of former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum's Saturday morning event in Manchester, N.H. came when he called out President Obama for his "hubris" and "snobbery" for proclaiming that all U.S. children should get a college education.

I was so outraged by the president of the United States for standing up and saying every child in America should go to college. Well who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America should [go to college]? I mean, the hubris of this president to think that he knows what's best.
I have seven kids. Maybe they will all go to college. But if one of my kids wants to go and be an auto-mechanic, good for him. That's a good paying job: using your hands, using your mind. This is the kind of snobbery that we see from those who think they know how to run our lives. Rise up America, defend your own freedoms. And overthrow these folks who think they know how to orchestrate every aspect of your lives.

He's just jealous because he can't give his brats degrees through his "home school". :lol:

Could this nutjob stoop any lower? Now Obama is a snob for wanting kids to go to college?

Rick Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Hubris' And 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

The most animated exchange of former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum's Saturday morning event in Manchester, N.H. came when he called out President Obama for his "hubris" and "snobbery" for proclaiming that all U.S. children should get a college education.

I was so outraged by the president of the United States for standing up and saying every child in America should go to college. Well who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America should [go to college]? I mean, the hubris of this president to think that he knows what's best.
I have seven kids. Maybe they will all go to college. But if one of my kids wants to go and be an auto-mechanic, good for him. That's a good paying job: using your hands, using your mind. This is the kind of snobbery that we see from those who think they know how to run our lives. Rise up America, defend your own freedoms. And overthrow these folks who think they know how to orchestrate every aspect of your lives.

Not seeing a problem with this statement.

What ever happened to vocational schools that taught trades, which is really all some people need.

The college industry is really a scam. We tell everyone they should do it, a lot of people don't need it. The only reason why companies ask for a college degree is that they want proof you can actually read, which is what a HS Diploma used to promise, but not since we unionized the teachers and stopped requiring to actually, you know, teach.

Meanwhile, the colleges keep charging big money for tuition, because they know they can get away with it.

And not surprisingly, amongst Obamsky's biggest donors are people affiliated with big universities.

How the hell is anyone supposed to even try explain the benefits of a college education to someone who's so prediposed to discount it?

If it doesn't get you a good paying job, it saddles you with a mountain of debt, and it delays the beginning of your earning years by 4 years, what's the benefit?

For some people college is a benefit, but we all know there are plenty of people who will gain nothing. They aren't intellectually equipped to benefit from college. Included in this class of people are most liberal arts majors.

Dood!

collegepremium_2.gif

Greg Mankiw's Blog: The College Premium

:thup:

Outstanding!

That's because the Corporate Bloodsuckers are driving down working folks wages, not because college folks are really making that much more...

That's because the Corporate Bloodsuckers are driving down working folks wages, not because college folks are really making that much more...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Example #2,546,422 of JoeB hating capitalism.

Really, the Democrat Party is over thataway. You should be over there. I mean, if they don't think you're too far to the left.

Students who majored in the traditional liberal arts — including the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences and mathematics — showed significantly greater gains over time than other students in critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills.

Study: Many college students not learning to think critically | McClatchy

About 20% of those that attend college never intend to do anything there but party. Take a look at the first year dropouts THAT PAID NOT ONE CENT OF THEIR OWN $$$ AT COLLEGE.

Again, anyone that believes everyone should go to college is a fucking MORON.

Ask any HS teacher - left/right/ or center what they think of "College for All". Every teacher I know has struggled with the notion that they are complicit in the "Big Lie". We are preparing half of our students for nothing.

well, educated people believe in evolution. so i can see where he'd hate that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really, the Democrat Party is over thataway. You should be over there. I mean, if they don't think you're too far to the left.

quite the contrary, I see capitalism as being a necessary evil.

God calls greed a sin.

But please go with the substance of my statement.

My dad, a WWII vet never went to college. He was a smart man, he knew what was what. Had his flaws. But back in the good old days, he was in the union, he made a good enough wage to support five kids and buy himself a nice fishing place up in Wisconsin. That's what having an honest to goodness middle class means.

Could I do that now? Nope. Neither could most people. Because we don't have a middle class anymore.

And this is why the GOP will lose in November. Because people like you just don't understand why this is a bad thing.

I know many college graduates with graduate degrees and professional degress that are:
EDUCATED FAR BEYOND THEIR INTELLIGENCE

Fair enough.

But look what the colleges have to work with. They have to work with PUblic education students, 20% of whom can't read their own diplomas.

We are a dumbed down society with a short attention span, and frankly, that's what some people want. More people are paying attention to American Idol than who is going to be the Republican Nominee, and that's just sad.

The only thing a college degree really proves to an employer is that you have the wearwithall to follow through on something.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love how the first response of anyone attacking corporate fascism is that they are communist.

I happen to think Capitalism is the only system that can work properly, but I recognize that corporatism is just fucking stupid also.

Ask any HS teacher - left/right/ or center what they think of "College for All". Every teacher I know has struggled with the notion that they are complicit in the "Big Lie". We are preparing half of our students for nothing.

Teachers are the hidden victims in all of this.

i don't think anyone is suggesting that. but certainly anyone who is capable should have the opportunity to go to college.

it's about opportunity, not making things mandatory for people who can't graduate h.s.

but i think you know that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love how the first response of anyone attacking corporate fascism is that they are communist.

I happen to think Capitalism is the only system that can work properly, but I recognize that corporatism is just fucking stupid also.

Exactly.

The problem with corporatism is that it is ultimately self-defeating. Eventually, you can probably eliminate the middle class, but then you don't have any customers for your wares. We've exacerbated this problem by running up credit cards and then using our inflated home values to cover the cards, but what we really needed all along was to demand fair wages and hold companies that don't play fair accountable.

Instead, we went along with the "Free Trade" stupidity, which is just as much about crushing the middle class as it is about actually increasing profits.

Forum List

Back