SAT Tutoring

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, in the course of conversation I identified a number of my students seriously interested in going to college. A few freshmen, a few sophomores, one junior. To my surprise, none of them had even heard of the SAT. All these years in school and they had never been told about this potentially crucial test as part of the college application process. Sure, many of my students interested in education beyond high school will go the community college route at least to start with, but a few are fit for the straight to four-year degree path. I told these students I would stay after school on Friday to help them get started preparing for the SAT. Friday afternoon comes along and two of the students are waiting at the door minutes after the final bell had rung. They get settled in, and the other three students I had been expecting, (also another student who needed help on a history paper) arrived. The last student was accompanied by 6-7 of his friends. So before I knew it I had a class-size group on hand. One student is originally from Algeria, one from Guatemala, and the rest from Haiti. They were laser-focused and did good work. I gave them all additional exercises to do, and we will pick it up again next Friday.

Has never come up, never will. YOU seem mighty interested in the topic though.
I'm interested in exposing a failed public education system as a teacher I would have thought you would be too....

I'm interested in exposing a failed public education system ......
Then why don't you at the very least go to a local public school and observe a few classes? You can't "expose" something you know nothing about, can you?

So, in the course of conversation I identified a number of my students seriously interested in going to college. A few freshmen, a few sophomores, one junior. To my surprise, none of them had even heard of the SAT. All these years in school and they had never been told about this potentially crucial test as part of the college application process. Sure, many of my students interested in education beyond high school will go the community college route at least to start with, but a few are fit for the straight to four-year degree path. I told these students I would stay after school on Friday to help them get started preparing for the SAT. Friday afternoon comes along and two of the students are waiting at the door minutes after the final bell had rung. They get settled in, and the other three students I had been expecting, (also another student who needed help on a history paper) arrived. The last student was accompanied by 6-7 of his friends. So before I knew it I had a class-size group on hand. One student is originally from Algeria, one from Guatemala, and the rest from Haiti. They were laser-focused and did good work. I gave them all additional exercises to do, and we will pick it up again next Friday.
Tell them when in doubt pick…..All of the above

Tell them if two answers are the opposite of the other, pick one or the other

Is that the best you can do?

The general decline in education is shocking

Oregon is just one example of that but its not confined to there

I'll try again: How long have you worked as a teacher? When was the last time you set foot in a public school?

I'll try again: How long have you worked as a teacher? When was the last time you set foot in a public school?
Here we go with Unkotare claiming Untouchable Teacher status yet again

He can tell us what to think because he knows everything and everyone else knows nothing

Here we go with Unkotare claiming Untouchable Teacher status yet again

He can tell us what to think because he knows everything and everyone else knows nothing
I'm just asking a question you have never found the courage to answer.

The topic of this thread is not your on-going, ignorance-based bashing of all things educational.

I'm just asking a question you have never found the courage to answer.

The topic of this thread is not your on-going, ignorance-based bashing of all things educational.
No, you are trying to suppress any criticism of the public educators by civillians

No, you are trying to suppress any criticism of the public educators by civillians [sic]

By asking a question? A question you have never found the courage to answer for some reason?

How about you just say something about the thread topic? Did you take the SAT? If so, how did you prepare for it?

Forum List

Back