SAT Tutoring

By asking a question? A question you have never found the courage to answer for some reason?

How about you just say something about the thread topic? Did you take the SAT? If so, how did you prepare for it?
Why are you asking the question?

Which one? There are so many you have not answered.
Teachers choice

You tell me

How about your most recent question about anger of blacks toward hispanics in chicago over the migrant issue?

Perhaps even more difficult than the SAT is navigating all the possible scholarships that students can apply for if they can get through all the paperwork. It is vital to wade into those muddy waters considering how expensive college is nowadays.

They were laser-focused and did good work. I gave them all additional exercises to do, and we will pick it up again next Friday.
Good on you.

When it comes to testing, there is the subject matter and there is the method.

This is how I approached all tests.

First reading, answer only the easy questions, go through it quickly. Don't spend time trying to figure out something you don't know, and don't answer anything you are not sure of. Put a pencil mark next to each question answered so you can pass by it the next time. The unanswered questions will simmer in the subconscious, and the answers to some of them will become apparent.

Second reading, spend a little more time, put a little thought into each unanswered question. Don't try to answer everything, but answer the ones you are fairly confident of. Don't get hung up on any one question, keep an eye on the clock.

Third reading, work the harder problems you didn't answer the first 2 times through. Study the wording to see if the correct answer is suggested even if you don't know it's right- try to get a "feel" for the right answer, make a best guess.

Last reading. If you haven't answered the question by now, you don't know the answer. Just go through and mark an answer for every remaining question. Random is fine- most of them will be wrong, but you will get lucky on a few of them.

Your time should be up.

Worst thing you can do is to work every problem in sequence, and run out of time before you finish the entire test.

This method gave me my best chance for a good result.

So, in the course of conversation I identified a number of my students seriously interested in going to college. A few freshmen, a few sophomores, one junior. To my surprise, none of them had even heard of the SAT. All these years in school and they had never been told about this potentially crucial test as part of the college application process. Sure, many of my students interested in education beyond high school will go the community college route at least to start with, but a few are fit for the straight to four-year degree path. I told these students I would stay after school on Friday to help them get started preparing for the SAT. Friday afternoon comes along and two of the students are waiting at the door minutes after the final bell had rung. They get settled in, and the other three students I had been expecting, (also another student who needed help on a history paper) arrived. The last student was accompanied by 6-7 of his friends. So before I knew it I had a class-size group on hand. One student is originally from Algeria, one from Guatemala, and the rest from Haiti. They were laser-focused and did good work. I gave them all additional exercises to do, and we will pick it up again next Friday.
I sometimes wonder if kids studying for the SAT is a waste of time, does studying really improve their scores so much where it really is going make a huge difference?

I only say that because myself and many of my family members never bothered studying for the SAT or ACT, we just took the tests cold.

I have a relative who got very high scores on his SAT and later GRE for his PhD and he said he never bothered to study for either test. He just took the tests because he had too. He took both his SAT in high school and later his GRE when he applied to get his PhD without bothering to studying at all for either test.

Similarly in high school I never had aspirations of trying to get into the toughest colleges so I just took the SAT and ACT without bothering to study for either test. I was lazy about it and just wanted to get the tests done with. I remember I did well enough to be accepted at most state colleges in the country and at that time that was good enough for me. I applied to like 5 universities and got acceptance letters from each one, but they were not very competitive state colleges. I eventually chose one of them and got my bachelor's and master's from that university.

I just sometimes think spending all these needless hours studying for these tests is a waste of time for most students who will probably do well enough on them without studying at all for them.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if kids studying for the SAT is a waste of time, does studying really improve their scores so much where it really is going make a huge difference?

I only say that because myself and many of my family members never bothered studying for the SAT or ACT, we just took the tests cold.

I have a relative who got very high scores on his SAT and later GRE for his PhD and he said he never bothered to study for either test. He just took the tests because he had too. He took both his SAT in high school and later his GRE when he applied to get his PhD without bothering to studying at all for either test.

Similarly in high school I never had aspirations of trying to get into the toughest colleges so I just took the SAT and ACT without bothering to study for either test. I was lazy about it and just wanted to get the tests done with. I remember I did well enough to be accepted at most state colleges in the country and at that time that was good enough for me. I applied to like 5 universities and got acceptance letters from each one, but they were not very competitive state colleges. I eventually chose one of them and got my bachelor's and master's from that university.

I just sometimes think spending all these needless hours studying for these tests is a waste of time for most students who will probably do well enough on them without studying at all for them.
I never studied but I had good test taking skills

I guess you can study word lists and basic structure of words to figure out what they mean. also basic math strategies
Basically, you answer the easy stuff then go back on the harder ones. Then make educated guesses

In any case, even small effects can be unfair. Let’s assume the effects of short-term coaching are really just a 20- or 30-point jump in students’ scores. That means they ought to be irrelevant to college admissions officers. Briggs found otherwise, however. Analyzing a 2008 survey conducted by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, he noted that one-third of respondents described a jump from 750 to 770 on the math portion of the SAT as having a significant effect on a student’s chances of admissions, and this was true among counselors at more and less selective schools alike. Even a minor score improvement for a high-achieving student, then—and one that falls within the standard measurement error for the test—can make a real difference.

Compare that with students from families that earn less than $20,000 per year, who have a mean score on the math portion of the SAT around 450. According to the same admissions counselor survey, a 20-point improvement to a score in this range would have no practical meaning for students who are trying to get into more selective schools. Even when it comes to less selective schools, just 20 percent of the counselors said a boost from 430 to 450 would make a difference. In other words, research has debunked the myth that pricey test prep gives a major bump to students’ scores, but it’s also hinted that whatever modest bumps they do provide are more likely to help the people who are already at the top.

So, in the course of conversation I identified a number of my students seriously interested in going to college. A few freshmen, a few sophomores, one junior. To my surprise, none of them had even heard of the SAT. All these years in school and they had never been told about this potentially crucial test as part of the college application process. Sure, many of my students interested in education beyond high school will go the community college route at least to start with, but a few are fit for the straight to four-year degree path. I told these students I would stay after school on Friday to help them get started preparing for the SAT. Friday afternoon comes along and two of the students are waiting at the door minutes after the final bell had rung. They get settled in, and the other three students I had been expecting, (also another student who needed help on a history paper) arrived. The last student was accompanied by 6-7 of his friends. So before I knew it I had a class-size group on hand. One student is originally from Algeria, one from Guatemala, and the rest from Haiti. They were laser-focused and did good work. I gave them all additional exercises to do, and we will pick it up again next Friday.

We need to vaporize the Department of Education

I'm interested in exposing a failed public education system as a teacher I would have thought you would be too....

He probably teaches very few American citizens anyways? Mostly illegals and visa overstays or those failed out of real schooling. Like the alternative bad kids schools in CA.

His stuff can’t be compared to real teachers. ESL to illegals is his bread & butter. He’s happy with 15 million brand new bodies to profit from.

Forum List

Back