Say It Here.

It's thundering out there - hope we get some rain, I hate a lot of noise and no action.
It's been dumping on the Walker County Piney Woods like you wouldn't believe this year. We finally got rid of the 10 old-growth trees that died on our farm. They were over 100 feet high and so beautiful just 4 years ago. We had 3 droughts since then. This summer made up for it with rain, rain, and more rain. Our lake is full up, and the water birds are having a blast out there.

Wow, the drought killed those big, old trees? That's kind of sad! They seem so indestructible, it's kind of unnerving to see them brought down. I know they're NOT indestructible, but they kind of symbolize strength and endurance. : (

Yeah, we were lucky, we have tons of oaks on our property and some don't get watered except for the rain - but we didn't lose a one, even though we had a pretty tough drought two years ago. I'm hoping this year we'll get a lot of rain!

It's been dumping on the Walker County Piney Woods like you wouldn't believe this year. We finally got rid of the 10 old-growth trees that died on our farm. They were over 100 feet high and so beautiful just 4 years ago. We had 3 droughts since then. This summer made up for it with rain, rain, and more rain. Our lake is full up, and the water birds are having a blast out there.

Wow, the drought killed those big, old trees? That's kind of sad! They seem so indestructible, it's kind of unnerving to see them brought down. I know they're NOT indestructible, but they kind of symbolize strength and endurance. : (

Yeah, we were lucky, we have tons of oaks on our property and some don't get watered except for the rain - but we didn't lose a one, even though we had a pretty tough drought two years ago. I'm hoping this year we'll get a lot of rain!

I have a big old cottonwood tree in my yard and it drives me crazy. It rains down these sticky bud things in the spring when the leaves come out..I mean millions of them. And the dogs and cats track them into the house and they get in my bed and everywhere. And in the fall it rains down leaves and stuff. What a mess. I keep thinking if I get the money I'll have it removed, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill that big tree. : (

Last edited:

I have a big old cottonwood tree in my yard and it drives me crazy. It rains down these sticky bud things in the spring when the leaves come out..I mean millions of them. And the dogs and cats track them into the house and they get in my bed and everywhere. And in the fall it rains down leaves and stuff. What a mess. I keep thinking if I get the money I'll have it removed, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill that big tree. : (

I've heard about Cottonwoods. Everybody that I know that has been around one always complains about them, they are messy. Our Oaks are messy when they drop their leaves in early spring, then they drop what we call "worms" (pollen like blobs) and they make a mess too, especially in the pool. But they are easy to blow off, so they are not bad enough where we want to cut the oaks! LOL!

I've heard about Cottonwoods. Everybody that I know that has been around one always complains about them, they are messy. Our Oaks are messy when they drop their leaves in early spring, then they drop what we call "worms" (pollen like blobs) and they make a mess too, especially in the pool. But they are easy to blow off, so they are not bad enough where we want to cut the oaks! LOL!

I usually don't get done with my daily chores until 11pm or even later, so having to sweep up the back deck and the entire house every day for a couple of weeks gets old really fast! : ( But then it's over until the next time and I kind of forgive the tree. Another negative about cottonwoods, they have very shallow roots. We get some bad windstorms here and I'm afraid the darn thing is going to fall on my house! Except it's so close, it'll probably just lean on the house, not fall on it.

Wow, I'm just trashing the 25 word limit! I'll do better from now on, I promise.

I usually don't get done with my daily chores until 11pm or even later, so having to sweep up the back deck and the entire house every day for a couple of weeks gets old really fast! : ( But then it's over until the next time and I kind of forgive the tree. Another negative about cottonwoods, they have very shallow roots. We get some bad windstorms here and I'm afraid the darn thing is going to fall on my house! Except it's so close, it'll probably just lean on the house, not fall on it.

Wow, I'm just trashing the 25 word limit! I'll do better from now on, I promise.

Yeah, some of the irritation they cause is minor when you consider they are so pretty and keep you cool in the summer. (I think others broke the 25 word rule - so we're ok.)

Darn it. I can't believe it - it's thundering and lightning outside, and not a drop of rain. Same thing that happened just a few days ago!

We had a storm come through today. Lots of loud thunder and lightning. Heavy rain. I love a good storm.

Now the bugs are out.

Dang, everyone gets rain except us! I can deal with the bugs, just get me some rain!

'

Stupidity, from being an amiable individual defect, has become a monstrous and deadly social crime.
---J. D. Bernal

'
Nature makes us sane;

The insane destroy nature;

Those who live where nature is destroyed become insane;

Nature destroys the insane.

Forum List

Back