Scalia Keeping It Real

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
This is why Supreme Court judges have lifetime tenure. Scalia is right on. The screams you hear are pigs getting stuck.
Civil rights leaders outraged over Scalia?s ?racial entitlement? argument | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Civil rights leaders are up in arms over Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's skeptical questions about a key portion of the Voting Rights Act, a cornerstone of the civil rights movement that brought an end to Jim Crow-era racial discrimination at the polls in the South.

In oral arguments over the law on Wednesday, Scalia, a stalwart of the court's conservative wing, suggested that the Voting Rights Act was overwhelmingly reauthorized in 2006 by Congress because the nation's politicians were afraid to oppose a "racial entitlement."

Scalia said that each time the Voting Rights Act has been reauthorized in the past 50 years, more and more senators supported it, even though the problem of racial discrimination at the polls has decreased over that time. "Now, I don't think that's attributable to the fact that it is so much clearer now that we need this," he said. "I think it is attributable, very likely attributable, to a phenomenon that is called perpetuation of racial entitlement. It's been written about. Whenever a society adopts racial entitlements, it is very difficult to get out of them through the normal political processes."
More at the source.

Sure doesn't take much for rw nutters to dump the Constitution when it suits their racist agenda. The Constitution of my USA says we all have an equal right to vote. The right of every American to vote is NOT "racial entitlement".

Even white Republicans should be against Scalia's racist statement.

Sure doesn't take much for rw nutters to dump the Constitution when it suits their racist agenda. The Constitution of my USA says we all have an equal right to vote. The right of every American to vote is NOT "racial entitlement".

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

So why can't the constitution stand on it's own?

The voters from this act are bought with welfare dollars and that is why the liberals got it passed and keep renewing it. If this law gets dumped the blacks that vote will only get to vote once and voter fraud by the democrats will finally be stopped.

But it doesn't say they have the right to vote any damn time they want or to have a ballot in any language they want.

how does this violate the constitution? i don't see anyones right ot vote being infringed

Then how do you square the VRA only applying to certian states and not the country as a whole, with the equal protection of the 14th Amendment? Come on this should be easy.

It is possible to take an unconstitutional voting law to court without the Voting Rights Act.

And how do we know this?

Because states that are not subject to the Act have done so.

The Voting Rights Act achieved what it was meant to achieve. It is time to celebrate it and put it to bed.

It is possible to take an unconstitutional voting law to court without the Voting Rights Act.

And how do we know this?

The Voting Rights Act achieved what it was meant to achieve. It is time to celebrate it and put it to bed.

Bull-looney, Did you not see the efforts to suppress the vote in last year's election? Are you in denial or do you choose to lie by omission?

And how do we know this?

Bull-looney, Did you not see the efforts to suppress the vote in last year's election? Are you in denial or do you choose to lie by omission?

It is pretty well known around here that I am opposed to Voter ID. No one has fought against them on this board more vehemently than I. Ask around.

I repeat, you do not need the Act to fight an unjust law. A Voter ID law was overturned in Pennsylvania during this last election cycle. Pennsylvania is not subject to the Voting Rights Act.

QED.

So the only lie of omission around here is the one which says you need the Act to fight unjust voting laws.

Last edited:

And how do we know this?

If you are referring to Voter ID laws, you'll note that Pennsylvania's Voter ID law was struck down for the 2012 election by a federal judge. Pennsylvania is not subjected to Section 5 of the VRA, further, thus aiding g5000's statement.

And how do we know this?

It is pretty well known around here that I am opposed to Voter ID. No one has fought against them on this board more vehemently than I. Ask around.

I repeat, you do not need the Act to fight an unjust law. A Voter ID law was overturned in Pennsylvania during this last election cycle. Pennsylvania is not subject to the Voting Rights Act.

QED.

So the only lie of omission around here is the one which says you need the Act to fight unjust voting laws.

This act prevents a situation where individuals are left to file lawsuits after they have been fucked over. Instead, it prevents assholes from instituting bullshit regulations in the first place.

Scalia's comments are fucked up by any standard.

And how do we know this?

If you are referring to Voter ID laws, you'll note that Pennsylvania's Voter ID law was struck down for the 2012 election by a federal judge. Pennsylvania is not subjected to Section 5 of the VRA, further, thus aiding g5000's statement.

The country needs voter ID laws to keep the welfare leeches from pumping out votes for the democrats the same way they pump out bastard children.

I am very proud of the GOP's participation in the Civil Rights and Voting acts campaigns. They could not have been passed without Republican help, even though they were Democratic initiatives. Now quite a number of GOP want the Voting law overturned. It won't matter if we GOP do not realistically reach out to women and minorities: we will still lose national elections to the Democrats. And we will have betrayed our commitment to a good America.

QED.

This act prevents a situation where individuals are left to file lawsuits after they have been fucked over. Instead, it prevents assholes from instituting bullshit regulations in the first place.

It actually doesn't do any of that, but thanks for playing.

The act is patently unconstitutional as it puts different states and locales on different footings. The 14th Amendment guarantees equal rights to all citizens. No one will be denied anything when this turd gets overturned.

QED.

It actually doesn't do any of that, but thanks for playing.

The act is patently unconstitutional as it puts different states and locales on different footings. The 14th Amendment guarantees equal rights to all citizens. No one will be denied anything when this turd gets overturned.

It does exactly that. Ask both Alabama Senators. They both voted to continue it. Why would they do that?

Forum List

Back