Scalia Warns: Mass Internment Of Americans Could Happen Again

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The Return of Korematsu

Seventy years after the mass internment of Japanese Americans was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, the ugly ideas at the core of its decision are resurfacing.

“A Korematsu-type classification…will never again survive scrutiny,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declared in a 1998 dissent. Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in a recent book that the decision was “thoroughly discredited.” Justice Antonin Scalia, who previously compared it to Dred Scott, said during a speech last year that Korematsu was unequivocally “wrong.” But he also warned about repeating the same mistake in the future.

“But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,” he said.

He used a Latin expression to explain why. “Inter arma enim silent leges … In times of war, the laws fall silent.”

“That’s what was going on—the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot,” Scalia said. “That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again—in time of war. It’s no justification but it is the reality.”​

Expelling all Japanese Americans from the Pacific Coast would have seemed unthinkable in 1940. Then came the fear and paranoia that pervaded cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco after Pearl Harbor. Frenzied reports of Japanese submarines off Oregon and saboteurs in California fueled a climate in which extreme constitutional violations towards an unpopular few seemed reasonable to a fearful many.

Korematsu is a reminder that, in times of crisis, there will always be an unpopular minority to fear and opportunistic demagogues to demonize them. But central to the Bill of Rights’ purpose is the protection of the few from the cruelty of the many, no matter who that few or many may be.

Much More: The Return of Korematsu - The Atlantic

Islamic State’s Goal: “Eliminating the Grayzone” of Coexistence Between Muslims and the West

My fellow Americans - is this who we are? Is this what we have become?

Last edited:
Personally, I'm very ashamed of what I'm hearing from many Republicans and some Democrats. Trump and Carson are off the charts, with Bush and Cruz close behind.

FDR sent hundreds of thousands of japanese families to internment camps and they weren't even hell bent on strapping bombs to their kids to blow up innocent people.

Are you suggesting that the refugees are?

No, they're all sweet people. No muslim refugees have ever blown stuff up. You really do need help.

Personally, I'm very ashamed of what I'm hearing from many Republicans and some Democrats. Trump and Carson are off the charts, with Bush and Cruz close behind.

Your ashamed to hear common sense?

Figures.

Fucking dumbshit.

You have to love the lefties with their globalism one world efforts. People who live half way around the world, don't speak English, and have no relatives here are suddenly being conferred with the rights of American citizens. Another straw man deflecting from the failures of our petulant child in chief.

You have to love the lefties with their globalism one world efforts. People who live half way around the world, don't speak English, and have no relatives here are suddenly being conferred with the rights of American citizens. Another straw man deflecting from the failures of our petulant child in chief.

I suggest you read the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The Return of Korematsu

Seventy years after the mass internment of Japanese Americans was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, the ugly ideas at the core of its decision are resurfacing.

“A Korematsu-type classification…will never again survive scrutiny,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declared in a 1998 dissent. Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in a recent book that the decision was “thoroughly discredited.” Justice Antonin Scalia, who previously compared it to Dred Scott, said during a speech last year that Korematsu was unequivocally “wrong.” But he also warned about repeating the same mistake in the future.

“But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,” he said.

He used a Latin expression to explain why. “Inter arma enim silent leges … In times of war, the laws fall silent.”

“That’s what was going on—the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot,” Scalia said. “That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again—in time of war. It’s no justification but it is the reality.”​

Expelling all Japanese Americans from the Pacific Coast would have seemed unthinkable in 1940. Then came the fear and paranoia that pervaded cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco after Pearl Harbor. Frenzied reports of Japanese submarines off Oregon and saboteurs in California fueled a climate in which extreme constitutional violations towards an unpopular few seemed reasonable to a fearful many.

Korematsu is a reminder that, in times of crisis, there will always be an unpopular minority to fear and opportunistic demagogues to demonize them. But central to the Bill of Rights’ purpose is the protection of the few from the cruelty of the many, no matter who that few or many may be.

Much More: The Return of Korematsu - The Atlantic

My fellow Americans - is this who we are? Is this what we have become?

There is no "we".

Americans have not changed. So, what's you're excuse?

If the situation with Islamists goes out of control, it will happen. The Latin statement can be taken as an axiom.

Is the left really going to argue in favor of the U.S. accepting Syrian "refugees" by citing the illegal and unconstitutional executive order of a popular democrat president that criminally imprisoned American citizens? Justice Hugo Black who wrote the majority opinion authorizing the incarceration of Japanese citizens was a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by none other than FDR. Coincidentally Black also wrote the majority opinion that created the modern version of "separation of church and state" which had no Constitutional basis. It's refreshing to revisit FDR's crimes but it has absolutely nothing to do with Barry Hussein's plan to resettle Syrian refugees against the will of the majority of Americans.

What ISIS Wants: To Destroy The 'Gray Zone Of Coexistence'

Last week's terror attacks in Paris were horrific and senseless, but for the perpetrators -- the death-cultists of the self-described Islamic State -- they served a specific purpose: to eliminate the "gray zone of coexistence" between Muslims living in the West and their non-Muslim neighbors.

The refugees fleeing Syria make it more than crystal clear that the Islamic State is not creating any kind of haven for Islam. But if you want a more relatable face of the "gray zone of coexistence" -- a success story you've definitely heard of -- consider international pop-sensation and former One Direction singer Zayn Malik. The terror group despises Muslims of all stripes who reject their bankrupt ideology and look to the West for hope. They're counting on us making the mistake of rejecting these Muslims.

More: What ISIS Wants: To Destroy The 'Gray Zone Of Coexistence'

Fearmongering Americans should ask themselves WHY refugees are fleeing Syria? ISIS hates Muslims who reject their ideology. This is playing right into ISIS's hands. They want top eliminate the "gray zone of coexistence".

Islamic State’s Goal: “Eliminating the Grayzone” of Coexistence Between Muslims and the West

Trump and Cruz are the best Lakhota !! jebito is already an enemy while nice guy Carson is a squish !! Just a comment !!

The best irony here is how the same RWnuts love to trash FDR over the Japanese internment. Now they're climbing onboard, one by one.

What US citizens they planing on locking up????????

News to me, do you have a link or are you just confused again?

Forum List

Back