Scalia Warns: Mass Internment Of Americans Could Happen Again

The best irony here is how the same RWnuts love to trash FDR over the Japanese internment. Now they're climbing onboard, one by one.

What US citizens they planing on locking up????????

News to me, do you have a link or are you just confused again?

The link dumbass is the title of this thread, Scalia saying it could happen again.

We already have Trump calling for step one, singling out Muslims for identification and tagging.
incorrect Carbineer , its all over that Trump has not called for what you say !!

The Return of Korematsu

Seventy years after the mass internment of Japanese Americans was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, the ugly ideas at the core of its decision are resurfacing.

“A Korematsu-type classification…will never again survive scrutiny,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declared in a 1998 dissent. Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in a recent book that the decision was “thoroughly discredited.” Justice Antonin Scalia, who previously compared it to Dred Scott, said during a speech last year that Korematsu was unequivocally “wrong.” But he also warned about repeating the same mistake in the future.

“But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,” he said.

He used a Latin expression to explain why. “Inter arma enim silent leges … In times of war, the laws fall silent.”

“That’s what was going on—the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot,” Scalia said. “That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again—in time of war. It’s no justification but it is the reality.”​

Expelling all Japanese Americans from the Pacific Coast would have seemed unthinkable in 1940. Then came the fear and paranoia that pervaded cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco after Pearl Harbor. Frenzied reports of Japanese submarines off Oregon and saboteurs in California fueled a climate in which extreme constitutional violations towards an unpopular few seemed reasonable to a fearful many.

Korematsu is a reminder that, in times of crisis, there will always be an unpopular minority to fear and opportunistic demagogues to demonize them. But central to the Bill of Rights’ purpose is the protection of the few from the cruelty of the many, no matter who that few or many may be.

Much More: The Return of Korematsu - The Atlantic

Islamic State’s Goal: “Eliminating the Grayzone” of Coexistence Between Muslims and the West

My fellow Americans - is this who we are? Is this what we have become?

Wow, you fuckwad Communists are spinning out of orbit.

You're right to panic. 2016 will be a disaster for you - and you may never recover from the damage you're doing to the party right now. Americans are questioning which side democrats are on - I don't , I know you are the enemy of the Constitutional Republic - but the rest of the nation is waking up to what you traitors are all about. Jihadi Barry is fucking your brand image beyond repair.

Your rabid hate and lies are entertaining. Please keep it up until November 2016.

Personally, I'm very ashamed of what I'm hearing from many Republicans and some Democrats. Trump and Carson are off the charts, with Bush and Cruz close behind.

And yet you aren't ashamed of your party imprisoning Japanese people in camps to begin with.

You have to love the lefties with their globalism one world efforts. People who live half way around the world, don't speak English, and have no relatives here are suddenly being conferred with the rights of American citizens. Another straw man deflecting from the failures of our petulant child in chief.

I suggest you read the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I suggest you understand them. Once you do you will cease to be a democrat

FDR sent hundreds of thousands of japanese families to internment camps and they weren't even hell bent on strapping bombs to their kids to blow up innocent people.

Are you suggesting that the refugees are?

No, they're all sweet people. No muslim refugees have ever blown stuff up. You really do need help.

The killers in Paris were local boys.

Enjoy your stupidity.

Except of course the ones that were refugees

When will NaziCons update the Statue of Liberty to reflect their New America?

Statue-of-Liberty-crying-628x356.jpg

The Return of Korematsu

Seventy years after the mass internment of Japanese Americans was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, the ugly ideas at the core of its decision are resurfacing.

“A Korematsu-type classification…will never again survive scrutiny,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declared in a 1998 dissent. Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in a recent book that the decision was “thoroughly discredited.” Justice Antonin Scalia, who previously compared it to Dred Scott, said during a speech last year that Korematsu was unequivocally “wrong.” But he also warned about repeating the same mistake in the future.

“But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,” he said.

He used a Latin expression to explain why. “Inter arma enim silent leges … In times of war, the laws fall silent.”

“That’s what was going on—the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot,” Scalia said. “That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again—in time of war. It’s no justification but it is the reality.”​

Expelling all Japanese Americans from the Pacific Coast would have seemed unthinkable in 1940. Then came the fear and paranoia that pervaded cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco after Pearl Harbor. Frenzied reports of Japanese submarines off Oregon and saboteurs in California fueled a climate in which extreme constitutional violations towards an unpopular few seemed reasonable to a fearful many.

Korematsu is a reminder that, in times of crisis, there will always be an unpopular minority to fear and opportunistic demagogues to demonize them. But central to the Bill of Rights’ purpose is the protection of the few from the cruelty of the many, no matter who that few or many may be.

Islamic State’s Goal: “Eliminating the Grayzone” of Coexistence Between Muslims and the West

It won't under The Marxist Obama's watch! He will stand with them!

Maybe we should inter his ass as well.

The Return of Korematsu

It just goes to show, the government cannot protect you. The People should always be prepared to protect themselves. Particularly from government.

I'm just amazed how stupid some people are.
These policies have all been tried before, and all were just as fucking stupid then as they are now,
Trump, silly bastard that he is, is trying the same tack as Hitler - Phew, what a loony.

As a side note, Trump in UK English slang means, fart.
Sounds fitting.

The Return of Korematsu

Who was it that actually put them in the camps?
Who is your #1 Pres of all times?
Why are those answers the same for most, if not all leftist?

I'm just amazed how stupid some people are.
These policies have all been tried before, and all were just as fucking stupid then as they are now,
Trump, silly bastard that he is, is trying the same tack as Hitler - Phew, what a loony.

As a side note, Trump in UK English slang means, fart.
Sounds fitting.

I agree! Adolf Trump reminds me of Hitler and Rain Man Carson reminds me of Dr. Josef Mengele.

The Return of Korematsu

Who's working really hard to avoid the actual topic? Didn't Scalia used to be one of your heroes? Gonna kick him to the curb now?

The Return of Korematsu

Huh?

Riddle me this.........................How the hell does this argument compare to the Japanese Internment.....................................As the Japanese people interned here were ALREADY HERE............................The Syrian refugees are there....................being brought in....................That isn't internment............that is stupidity.

The Return of Korematsu

“That’s what was going on—the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot,” Scalia said. “That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again—in time of war. It’s no justification but it is the reality.”

When Constitutionality and Safety are at odds, Safety nearly always wins. Militant Islam has made life difficult for their more peaceful co-religionists. Shit happens.

Forum List

Back