Scientists Discover a Self-Replicating Protein Structure, And It Could Have Built The First Life on

Sure!

For example, instead of saying:

It would say:

Most fields of science rely on proofs, and experimentation. For some reason the purported sciences of origins of life on Earth and evolution of life on Earth, asks us to take it on faith.
It's real buffoonery to suggest anyone needs faith relative to biological evolution and life sciences.

Here's just one example of one university that spills nonsense on your pointless prattle.

It's remarkable that you didn't know the leading research universities have doctoral programs for the STEM fields. Odd, that you didn't know most every college and university in this country has STEM field programs.

The Disco'tute has played a cruel joke on you.

Your posts are nonsensical. They give me nothing of substance to which to respond.
I've post massive evidence for Evolution, and in this OP some good suppositions that were thought to havee not existed, but would help live become life from inanimate
You Failed here miserably with you Dishonest Designer BVS.

`

No, we don't have all the answers, but we're still looking.
We'll never have all the answers as they just generate new questions.

Scientists Discover a Self-Replicating Protein Structure, And It Could Have Built The First Life on Earth
Mike McRae - 4 Mar 2018 - sciencealert.com
Scientists Discover a Self-Replicating Protein Structure, And It Could Have Built The First Life on Earth

Roughly 4 billion years ago an assortment of complex organic compounds went from being mere carbon soup to replicating biochemistry – the first steps to life on Earth.​
The order of these steps has been a source of debate for decades. Now, a recent discovery about a common protein structure could help tip the balance, bringing us closer to understanding just how we came to be here.​
Researchers from Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) in Zürich have demonstrated that short strands of amyloid protein structures can direct the selection of amino acids to build even more amyloids.​
If the word amyloid doesn't sound familiar, they're a protein structure that's increasingly being found all over the place in nature.​
[.....]​

`
We need to figure this stuff out. If no other planet will be exactly like earth, we may have to genetically modify humans so they can adapt on these new planets. The secret could be in this protein.

Or in Tardigrades.

They have been found in diverse regions of Earth's biosphere – mountaintops, the deep sea, tropical rainforests, and the Antarctic. Tardigrades are among the most resilient animals known,with individual species able to survive extreme conditions – such as exposure to extreme temperatures, extreme pressures (both high and low), air deprivation, radiation, dehydration, and starvation – that would quickly kill most other known forms of life. Tardigrades have survived exposure to outer space.

We need to figure this stuff out. If no other planet will be exactly like earth, we may have to genetically modify humans so they can adapt on these new planets. The secret could be in this protein.

Or in Tardigrades.

They have been found in diverse regions of Earth's biosphere – mountaintops, the deep sea, tropical rainforests, and the Antarctic. Tardigrades are among the most resilient animals known,with individual species able to survive extreme conditions – such as exposure to extreme temperatures, extreme pressures (both high and low), air deprivation, radiation, dehydration, and starvation – that would quickly kill most other known forms of life. Tardigrades have survived exposure to outer space.
The combinations of molecules will eventually hit a combination that work in a new atmosphere environment.
`

The combinations of molecules will eventually hit a combination that work in a new atmosphere environment.
`

Honestly, what does it matter to me what kind of life I start on another planet. It shouldn't have to be humans. It would be cool to planet a seed on a planet knowing that one day that single cell will turn into multi cell creature and evolution will do it's thing. Maybe dinosaurs, maybe just a planet of tartigrades.

I wonder if earth only had micro life on it like tartigrades, how big would life eventually get and how intelligent? Imagine how much natural resources would be here for us if we were tiny? Of course we'd have to move around in amour so cats, mice and cockroaches didn't eat us.

Being smart we would still consider ourselves god's chosen people. Even though we are tiny, can't fly, can't run, smell, hear or see as good as all the other animals, still we would believe god put us here and made us tiny for a reason. Perhaps so we never use up all the oil and wood or pollute the oceans with all our waste.

.......You bring up evolution? ... how do rocks evolve? ... and are the rock's traits inheritable? ... perhaps to a small degree, but no where close to even the simplest cellular life form ... and important here as this simplest life form, blue-green algae, represents the halfway point of evolution ... every life form that existed before this halfway point is extinct and cannot live in this second half ... the Great Oxygen Crisis killed everything except the blue-green algae that was making the oxygen ... respiration had to evolve after ... and as near as I can figure, viruses evolved afterward as well ...

abu afak said:
Scientists Discover a Self-Replicating Protein Structure, And It Could Have Built The First Life on Earth Mike McRae -

Roughly 4 billion years ago an assortment of complex organic compounds went from being mere carbon soup to replicating biochemistry – the first steps to life on Earth.​
The order of these steps has been a source of debate for decades. Now, a recent discovery about a common protein structure could help tip the balance, bringing us closer to understanding just how we came to be here.​
Researchers from Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) in Zürich have demonstrated that short strands of amyloid protein structures can direct the selection of amino acids to build even more amyloids.​
If the word amyloid doesn't sound familiar, they're a protein structure that's increasingly being found all over the place in nature.​
[.....]​

`

Last edited:

"In 1833, diastase (a mixture of amylases) was the first enzyme to be discovered" -- {Cite}

A little long in tooth there ... but yes, this is an critical element of the Modern Synthesis ... and well understood 100 years ago ... but really we need to go back to Linnaeus and why he divided the universe into life and mineral ... if not common sense ...

How do you define "life"? ... I promise we won't laugh ...

"In 1833, diastase (a mixture of amylases) was the first enzyme to be discovered" -- {Cite}

A little long in tooth there ... but yes, this is an critical element of the Modern Synthesis ... and well understood 100 years ago ... but really we need to go back to Linnaeus and why he divided the universe into life and mineral ... if not common sense ...

How do you define "life"? ... I promise we won't laugh ...
How do you define it?

There really is no one correct definition.

How do you define it?

There really is no one correct definition.

Energy transport ... but I don't know if that generalizes to all life, or just life I care about ... for example when we oxidize carbon, we release energy, that's useless if we can't transport that energy to where it is needed, like protein formation ... with minerals, I think we pretty much find nothing but oxidized material, they are already at their lowest energy level ...

Life reduces entropy ... using solar energy collected first in plants and blue-green algae ...

So do some chemical reactions.

Like any local region of lower entropy than equilibrium, energy is dissipated to increase the entropy of the surroundings.

I'm using the redox model here ... stripping an atom of her electrons makes her more disorganized, but it frees up some energy ... the first step for carbon is having photosynthesis return the elections back, using solar energy ... reducing her entropy ... it's this reduced carbon that bonds so sweetly with her sisters and we make amazing little molecules and proteins this way ...

I'm using the redox model here ... stripping an atom of her electrons makes her more disorganized, but it frees up some energy ... the first step for carbon is having photosynthesis return the elections back, using solar energy ... reducing her entropy ... it's this reduced carbon that bonds so sweetly with her sisters and we make amazing little molecules and proteins this way ...
Which can be and is done with or without what we call life, though.

Any time solar energy is stored in chemical bonds, there is a local reduction in entropy.

And any time that energy is retrieved, a form of photosynthesis has occurred.

All of this was happening before what we would conventionally call "life" existed.

Same with respiration. It depends on where you placed your ladle, in the soup. Filter out the lump of organic chemicals. You could get a sample that respirates, as a whole.

Which can be and is done with or without what we call life, though.

True ... but are we moving towards less entropy in these processes? ... we can watch iron rust, but that's the opposite of life, if you agree life is the opposite of entropy ...

Thermite is a good example of a redox reaction ... note this gives up energy, the opposite of life ... if you buy into The Scruff's definition ...

True ... but are we moving towards less entropy in these processes?
Ha, an impossible question. What is "we"? The planet? The Solar System? Gotta count the energy from the Sun, right?

The Galaxy? The Local Group?

Also keep in mind: if what you propose is "impossible without life", then how did life form in the first place? And does simply doing what you describe ALONE define life?

Ha, an impossible question. What is "we"? The planet? The Solar System? Gotta count the energy from the Sun, right?

The Galaxy? The Local Group?

Also keep in mind: if what you propose is "impossible without life", then how did life form in the first place? And does simply doing what you describe ALONE define life?

Is this a gender idenity problem you're having ... we means us ... first person plural pronoun ...

Did you answer the question I asked ... because if you reject the assumption, then you must reject the conclusion ... and then you can replace that assumption and state the conclusion that gives ... how do you define life? ...

So do some chemical reactions.

Like any local region of lower entropy than equilibrium, energy is dissipated to increase the entropy of the surroundings.
You're very close to the mark, I believe.

There's no such thing as a closed system. The best we can achieve is a "somewhat isolated" system, and only isolated from certain things (not for example, quantum tunneling or entanglement).

In an entangled pair, much ado is made about "observation", but what it really is, is measurement. And all measurement involves energy transfer. It would appear than any disruption of the energy in an entangled pair results in collapse. But then... where does the energy go? My take is, it's transferred to the surroundings in the form of entropy, which is information.

This is one of the available hypotheses for why the universe expands, and also some people seek to explain time with it (although I'm not one of them). We really know diddly about how this all works. I was just reading a paper yesterday about some scientists in Austria who found a way to halve the speed of light. They did it geometrically, by forcing the light to travel in both directions at once. Which suggests we have a "twisted" spacetime, like a Moebius strip.

We really don't know very much about very much yet.

But it seems to me you're on the right track.

Is this a gender idenity problem you're having ... we means us ... first person plural pronoun ...

Did you answer the question I asked ... because if you reject the assumption, then you must reject the conclusion ... and then you can replace that assumption and state the conclusion that gives ... how do you define life? ...
I have no idea.

Do you pretend that you know the one, correct answer?

Forum List

Back