Self Defense with a firearm

The left is against any kind of self defense, period, end of sentence. How can you have a street army as powerful as our military if people are able to defend themselves?

Guess I never came up against a coward with a gun.

Yes.. because all those who carry firearms are cowards... :rolleyes:

And I guess all fights should be on equal ground (progs love selective equality)... so if you're attacked with a knife, a knife is all you can use to protect yourself? A blackjack attack must be met with a blackjack.. and I guess when an enemy attacks our country or citizenry with a IED, we can only fight back with IED's

Idiot

Yes, carrying a gun is cowardly. Hiding your cowardice is even more cowardly. Millions of people have the courage to go out in the world every day unarmed. You could make it a lot safer for those courageous people if you would just stay home, shivering under your bed.

And, yes, if you're attacked with fists, as in this case, you should not be able to pull and gun and blow the attacker away.

The world has changed since the days when one did not shoot people in the back or use a gun to combat fists. The cowards are winning.

All those cowards in the military... all those cowards in the police force.. they should use toothpicks as weapons and bring down mobs of lawbreakers with their jedi mind tricks

Idiot

i am always amazed at city people telling me what i need to defend myself......yall dont have a fucking clue
Just call the cops. They'll be there in less than a minute.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Second Amendment grants the right for every individual American to own a firearm. And the law clearly allows a person to defend himself with that gun.

I am concerned, however, that so many seemingly minor altercations are winding up with someone shot and killed.

I'm not sure what the answer should be - I don't believe a person should have to let themselves be beaten silly and only at the verge of death be allowed to use a firearm to defend himself.

But I also don't believe you should be able to shoot a guy just because he reacts rudely to your request to turn down your music or silence your cell phone in a movie theater.

There's got to be a happy medium. Unfortunately in today's polarized America - that happy medium is proving to be a very elusive place.
You can't shoot someone for those things. In one case the prosecutors overreached but he'll do time like it was murder one and in another, I doubt seriously that he'll get off. In all cases, you must be afraid for yours or someone's life. And as CCWs are more common we are not seeing increases in murder. If anything it's the opposite.

Probably the most idiotic statement ever stated on this board.. and THAT is saying something

There is not a police presence every square acre and there is no teleportation technology

There is no doubt in my mind that the Second Amendment grants the right for every individual American to own a firearm.
Well, it doesn't grant it, it assumes the right was there long before the amendment was written (a minor but important point). It merely forbids government from interfereing with it or taking it away.

I am concerned, however, that so many seemingly minor altercations are winding up with someone shot and killed.
Very few, actually. But every one gets blazing headlines when it happens. Unlike incidents where someone uses a gun to ward off a criminal and he runs away - that happens by the millions every year in this country. But when did you last see even one, mentioned in the media?

CDC Gun Violence Study Didn't Give Obama White House Outcome It Wanted - Investors.com

https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt

When we have 100% perfect people, we will have NO incidents of minor altercations leading to gunfire. Until then, we'll have to take the (occasional) bad results with the (hugely more numerous) good results of the 2nd amendment.

That is the way the constitution protects most of the rights - the right to ... shall not be infringed. I don't place as much importance on that wording as you - I don't think it makes any practical difference.

When we have 100% perfect people - no one will need a gun to defend themselves either.

And we are Americans we only HAVE TO accept what we choose to accept.
We can even choose to reject politically ginned up "statistics" that claim overwhelming harm or overwhelming benefit of concealed carry anywhere laws.

i am always amazed at city people telling me what i need to defend myself......yall dont have a fucking clue

There is no doubt in my mind that the Second Amendment grants the right for every individual American to own a firearm. And the law clearly allows a person to defend himself with that gun.

I'm not sure what the answer should be - I don't believe a person should have to let themselves be beaten silly and only at the verge of death be allowed to use a firearm to defend himself.

But I also don't believe you should be able to shoot a guy just because he reacts rudely to your request to turn down your music or silence your cell phone in a movie theater.

There's got to be a happy medium. Unfortunately in today's polarized America - that happy medium is proving to be a very elusive place.
You can't shoot someone for those things. In one case the prosecutors overreached but he'll do time like it was murder one and in another, I doubt seriously that he'll get off. In all cases, you must be afraid for yours or someone's life. And as CCWs are more common we are not seeing increases in murder. If anything it's the opposite.

Probably the most idiotic statement ever stated on this board.. and THAT is saying something

There is not a police presence every square acre and there is no teleportation technology

Dave - I'm not sure what connections you are making here. (Ok, so maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed) but can you explain a little more what you're saying here?

Retired Sgt. Seriously the VA can and will help you. Self control isn't the issue with suicides. Lack of desire and will to live is the issue. And as you know, depression could care less about how much self control you think you have.

As to helping the case for gun control. Most people do not want others people who seem mentally unstable (like contemplating suicide) to have lots of guns. Or any guns.

My dad was a crazy alcoholic with suicidal tendencies. He ALWAYS had a gun. And it was never a good idea.

How touching, you care......

I am fine, my thoughts are under control, hell even when they were not I had handguns and never shot myself. As for what YOU think on who should own or not, that is why we have laws. The law is specific. To deny me the right to own firearms I must be adjudged mentally incompetent by competent authority, as in a Judge. Sorry but that has not and will not happen.

I have been at this for 20 years. Still haven't shot myself. And won't either. As for your opinion on my owning, to bad you don't get a say.

Not really (caring). Just trying to keep some innocent person who's car breaks down in the middle of the night and they come to your door for help and you shoot them. I would like to keep that from happening.

But after 20 long years or you hanging in there, there is still hope you might do the deed eh? The world would be a better place. IMO.

Oooo a tough guy, I'm betting you would pee yourself at the very thought of saying that to his face.

And I guess all fights should be on equal ground (progs love selective equality)... so if you're attacked with a knife, a knife is all you can use to protect yourself? A blackjack attack must be met with a blackjack.. and I guess when an enemy attacks our country or citizenry with a IED, we can only fight back with IED's

Idiot

You get attacked with knives and black jacks, and I am the idiot?

No shit.

WHAT are these people doing that they get attacked and have to shoot back?

I think they all live in an imaginary Walking Dead world.

:cuckoo:

Yeah.. unprovoked attacks and crime don't happen :rolleyes:

Dave - I'm not sure what connections you are making here. (Ok, so maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed) but can you explain a little more what you're saying here?

For the police to be there in less than a minute in every case of crime, attack, etc.. there would have to be a constant police present within 60 seconds of ever possible area of crime.. via vehicle or via foot... even in the large cities, there is not that kind of presence possible for all cases.. period.. you do not just rely on police for self defense.. there are there for law enforcement.. the first line of defense is YOU

As a cop told me one time. Words> fist> foot> knife> gun.
The shooter escalated it from fist to gun. The crime is on him. Had he simply used his fists back there would be no story.

Idiot

You get attacked with knives and black jacks, and I am the idiot?

Nice try... now try going with what was said

Idiot asshole troll

Your name calling shows your weakness.

As a cop told me one time. Words> fist> foot> knife> gun.
The shooter escalated it from fist to gun. The crime is on him. Had he simply used his fists back there would be no story.

Uh huh.. so you don't like us carrying firearms and you now advocate us carrying a complete arsenal in case of various styles of attacks??

Sorry... I will make sure I suppress with superior firepower in any way, shape or form for my and my family's defense... If I am only carrying a firearm, I am not going to hold off defending myself if you are trying to get me with a knife or have already punched me from behind or whatever else... you may only get shot in the leg or the reproductive parts, you may be killed outright, or you may somehow get the upper hand and defeat me and get what you want.. but you're not going to just get away with it while I rely on someone else to stop you... the criminal makes the risky move by choosing to commit the initial crime or attack... they assume the risk that they may get hurt or worse, and not just get away with their crime

For the police to be there in less than a minute in every case of crime, attack, etc.. there would have to be a constant police present within 60 seconds of ever possible area of crime.. via vehicle or via foot... even in the large cities, there is not that kind of presence possible for all cases.. period.. you do not just rely on police for self defense.. there are there for law enforcement.. the first line of defense is YOU

Oh, I see. Thanks, you were referencing the top quote.

This reminds me of the time I was inside a Big Lots store in Tulsa. It was roughly about a decade ago. I heard yelling and then gunfire, I ran to the front and saw that a customer had shot two suspects that had attempted to rob the store at gunpoint. Both suspects were wounded, but one still managed to get away. He was later captured by police. Both suspects wound up in police custody, and no one was hurt, except for the two suspects. A happy ending for all (except for the two suspects).

Oh, my goodness! Those two were a danger to themselves and others, but underestimated their own danger by threatening people in a state that allows people to carry weapons for their own protection, just as the Constitution recommends. If worse had come to worse, they could have killed everyone in the building. :ack-1:

I'm thankful that didn't happen.
Same here Becki. I am glad the customer reacted the way he did to the situation at hand. The store clerk was in imminent danger, and there was no telling what would have happened if the customer had hesitated to take action.

It would appear from the recent shooting at a Walmart that the left is opposed to self defense as well. A man was physically attacked and defended himself and people like Luddy call him a criminal.

So all the claims in the past about self defense not happening isn't the point, what they mean is no one should ever shoot anyone even in self defense.

Then we have the useful idiots that remind us some lefties own firearms. usually with the claim that because of that no one is trying to take them away.

How many examples do we need of high profile democrats demanding just that? A ban on firearms and a confiscation of privately owned firearms?

Add to that the refusal of some to acknowledge the Supreme Court ruled the 2nd is an INDIVIDUAL right not dependent on belonging to a militia. And further that it applies to the States.

A man throws a punch, the other man shoots him dead. What is wrong with this scenario?

More people are killed with fists and feet than they are with "assault" rifles every year.

If someone attacks you it is prudent to think he will kill you if given the chance.

Have you ever been the victim of a violent crime?

I have and the two guys had nothing but fists and feet (steel toed boots and one guy had a bike chain wrapped around his right hand)

Yeah but hands and feet have multiple uses. A gun has one. Shooting stuff.

Does. Not. Compute.

Oh, I see. You were responding to my joke. Slow down there big shot.

Last edited:
A man throws a punch, the other man shoots him dead. What is wrong with this scenario?

More people are killed with fists and feet than they are with "assault" rifles every year.

If someone attacks you it is prudent to think he will kill you if given the chance.

Have you ever been the victim of a violent crime?

I have and the two guys had nothing but fists and feet (steel toed boots and one guy had a bike chain wrapped around his right hand)

Yeah but hands and feet have multiple uses. A gun has one. Shooting stuff.

Just showing one is good enough very often. Being aware any target might have one should be one consideration when deciding to attack.

I have been in fights in my life and never shot my opponent.

A fight and an attack are two different beasts.

Not when an attack turns into a fight. And no one appears to know what was said that started the fight. There are ways to prevent fights too.
If you attack someone with your fists you can cause all sorts of serious effects ranging from a broken nose to death. And someone who is punched has no way of knowing what will follow, which very well might be a continuous attack including being knocked out and kicked to death.

It would appear from the recent shooting at a Walmart that the left is opposed to self defense as well. A man was physically attacked and defended himself and people like Luddy call him a criminal.

So all the claims in the past about self defense not happening isn't the point, what they mean is no one should ever shoot anyone even in self defense.

Then we have the useful idiots that remind us some lefties own firearms. usually with the claim that because of that no one is trying to take them away.

How many examples do we need of high profile democrats demanding just that? A ban on firearms and a confiscation of privately owned firearms?

Add to that the refusal of some to acknowledge the Supreme Court ruled the 2nd is an INDIVIDUAL right not dependent on belonging to a militia. And further that it applies to the States.

The man shouldn't have thrown the punch. A lesson for other people to learn.

Forum List

Back